Magazine front cover: Urgent help needed.

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Interlord1
Youngling

Magazine front cover: Urgent help needed.

Post by Interlord1 »

Okay, the situation is I have a piece of GCSE English Media coursework to hand it tommorow. I can probably extend the deadline a few days, but still. Could somebody who has experience in this sort of thing please look at it, and tell me if it looks okay for a magazine cover? Like, is it the sort of thing that could appear in shops. Any help is appreciated, I'll link the image now.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb22 ... V4Flat.png

It's worth 40% of my mark, so yeah, I thought it was important enough to ask online for people to look at it and tell me what could be added/improved/taken away etc. Thanks for reading.

It's supposed to be a gaming magazine, and that's the only criteria really.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Re: Magazine front cover: Urgent help needed.

Post by Terralthra »

The font you're using as your Title and Head is rather...ugly. I can't imagine something on a newsstand rack using it. Having the ACTA Head/Subhead in red is a bit jarring, but it's probably what you were going for.
Interlord1
Youngling

Post by Interlord1 »

So I should change the font in the title then? Any suggestions as to what would fit or should I just try some different things?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The font could look better if you lightened the transparency on those grey boxes.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Interlord1
Youngling

Post by Interlord1 »

Alright, i've lightened it, but now a problem arises of not being able to read the text under the main header, and such easily.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I think part of the reason I dislike the font you chose so much is that it clashes badly with the cover image. The font seems to deliberating calling back to un-aliased crappy fonts from 8-bit games, but the cover image is a very stylish, smooth, curvy, retro style that is wholly unlike it. Something that suits the image better, something with a retro feel, but with slab serifs, curvy, and stylish might work a lot better.

Maybe something like Chunk?
Interlord1
Youngling

Post by Interlord1 »

Alright, I just downloaded Chunk. I'll redesign it with a variety of fonts, then come back.