SDN Photography Talk Thread

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Re: SDN Photography Talk Thread

Post by aerius »

The telephoto zoom (a Kiron 80-200mm f4) has been interesting, the biggest surprise to me, especially at the long end is the shallow depth of field. I knew it would be pretty shallow but it didn't really sink in until I started using it. And though it's pretty compact the thing feels like it's made of lead, it weighs more than my camera and totally throws off the balance. I will seriously have to consider a tripod.

Other than that, not much going on. Having some fun putting various types of B&W film through the camera and getting used to what the various filters do. Still no time or motivation to scan the darn things.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fujif ... nced-17561
From Fujifilm Germany: 05 October 2011 - Fujifilm today announced the launch of a mirror-less system camera announced. Shigetaka Komori, President and Chief Executive Officer, FUJIFILM Corporation, announced at a press conference in Tokyo: "Fujifilm will launch in spring 2012, a mirror-less system camera with interchangeable lenses. The clear objective in the development of lenses, sensor and processor technology to achieve the highest image quality. "
If this is basically an improved X100 with interchangeable lenses, I'm getting on the pre-order list as soon as there is one.

Keep it small & simple, give it a nice premium quality build, roll out a line of state of the art lenses, and this thing has the potential to revolutionize the camera industry. If Fuji does this right they can take a major chunk out of Nikon & Canon's business.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

aerius wrote:http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fujif ... nced-17561

If this is basically an improved X100 with interchangeable lenses, I'm getting on the pre-order list as soon as there is one.

Keep it small & simple, give it a nice premium quality build, roll out a line of state of the art lenses, and this thing has the potential to revolutionize the camera industry. If Fuji does this right they can take a major chunk out of Nikon & Canon's business.
Nah. Fuji's history is littered with the carcasses of one-off products that never made it off beyond a few years of development.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Algorithmic deblurring!
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/09/fujifi ... -no-price/

Finally. Someone listened and built my perfect camera. Hybrid viewfinder, fast prime lenses, and proper dials & buttons for the things that photographers need. And it has the retro look & build of the X100. Now I just gotta find a pre-order list so I can get this camera as soon as it ships.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

aerius wrote:Finally. Someone listened and built my perfect camera. Hybrid viewfinder, fast prime lenses, and proper dials & buttons for the things that photographers need. And it has the retro look & build of the X100. Now I just gotta find a pre-order list so I can get this camera as soon as it ships.
Certainly looks nice! I've been considering a GXR w/ M-mount myself as a smaller camera.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I've been drooling endlessly over the Canon G1X. Large sensor + zoom? Yes please mam! (I don't give a fiddly fuck over interchangeable lenses if the basic lense is good. Weight & size are far more critical for me, especially when hiking).
http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/09/canon- ... h-new-g1x/

2.8 Zoom lense? Sensor bigger than m4/3? "Drool".
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

phongn wrote:Certainly looks nice! I've been considering a GXR w/ M-mount myself as a smaller camera.
According to my google research, Fuji is making an M-mount adaptor for the X-Pro 1 a high priority, it'll be the first one they make available. I think it'll be the one to go for unless Fuji somehow managed to bung up their user interface worse than Sony's NEX system. I gotta tell you, I've never been this excited about a new camera, there's finally a digital camera available that can replace my Olympus Pen-FT and OM-1. And it has fast prime lenses!
The Grim Squeaker wrote:2.8 Zoom lense? Sensor bigger than m4/3? "Drool".
Lens is too slow for me. Once you've been ruined from shooting 1.4 primes, you can't go back. There's no substitute for fast glass.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

aerius wrote:According to my google research, Fuji is making an M-mount adaptor for the X-Pro 1 a high priority, it'll be the first one they make available. I think it'll be the one to go for unless Fuji somehow managed to bung up their user interface worse than Sony's NEX system. I gotta tell you, I've never been this excited about a new camera, there's finally a digital camera available that can replace my Olympus Pen-FT and OM-1. And it has fast prime lenses!
X-Pro 1 is going to be rather expensive, though. Plus, the GXR's M-mount is designed for use with rangefinder lenses.
Lens is too slow for me. Once you've been ruined from shooting 1.4 primes, you can't go back. There's no substitute for fast glass.
Amen, brother.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

The Ricoh GXR M mount works quite nicely. :)

RIMG3455 by NazgulKing, on Flickr

With the Voigtlander 15/4.5

RIMG3603 by NazgulKing, on Flickr

With the Voigtlander 75/2.5

RIMG2137 by NazgulKing, on Flickr

With the Carl Zeiss 50/1.5
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:The Ricoh GXR M mount works quite nicely. :)
I'm waiting to see if they'll come out with the A16 sensors ... and to let my budget accumulate :P
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

phongn wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:The Ricoh GXR M mount works quite nicely. :)
I'm waiting to see if they'll come out with the A16 sensors ... and to let my budget accumulate :P
I think they will. Question is when.
Kreia