Star Trek 12 casting news.

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Star Trek 12 casting news.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

http://www.startrek.com/article/star-tr ... g-together
The Star Trek (2009) sequel is ramping up quickly. Set to begin principal production in the next few weeks, director J.J. Abrams has been finalizing the cadre of guest actors who will join the returning regular cast, and they include Alice Eve, Noel Clarke and Benedict Cumberbatch.

The British invasion starts with Alice Eve. The blue-eyed blonde beauty counts among her credits Starter For Ten, She’s Out of My League, Sex and the City 2, Entourage and the upcoming films The Raven, Decoding Annie Parker and Men in Black III.

Clarke is a British actor-writer-producer-director whose acting work spans from Casualty, Doctor Who and Centurion to Screwed and the upcoming features The Knot, Fast Girls (which he also co-wrote) and Storage 24.

Finally, there’s Cumberbatch, who is widely regarded as being at the forefront of Britain’s wave of talented young actors. Cumberbatch, set to play the Star Trek sequel’s villain, has appeared in Fortysomething, Atonement, The Whistleblower and Sherlock, and is currently represented on screen by Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and War Horse. He’ll further cement his genre cred by providing the voices of the Necromancer and the dragon Smaug in The Hobbit: There and Back Again. Yesterday, in an interview conducted via satellite with the members of the Television Critics Association, Cumberbatch briefly commented on Star Trek. “I’m just getting my head around the fact it’s happened,” he said. “I’ll give you my headline on it, which is, ‘I’m over the moon.’”

Keep an eye on StarTrek.com for additional news about the Star Trek (2009) sequel.
Frankly I don't think I've watched much of any of these actors before- the only one who's name I even recognize for sure is Cumberbatch. Anyone more familiar with their work care to comment on these choices?

Edit: Apparently Clark was on Doctor Who. Does anyone know who he played?
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Re: Star Trek 12 casting news.

Post by Soontir C'boath »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Edit: Apparently Clark was on Doctor Who. Does anyone know who he played?
Hahahaha, yes he played Rose Tyler's boyfriend, Mickey Smith, for several episodes.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'm most familiar with seasons three, five, and six and the specials. That might be why I don't remember him better.

Any guesses as to what sort of roles these people will play? I have a suspicion that Alice Eve will be playing the role of Kirk's love interest, but we'll see.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I'm guessing/hoping for Yeoman Janice Rand. :)
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Stofsk wrote:I'm guessing/hoping for Yeoman Janice Rand. :)
I would 100% approve of this (equally if she was Nurse Chapel).

If she is playing a familiar face from continuity there are a bunch of angles they could take though (Carol Marcus?) They could just as easily go "new person" though.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Skylon wrote:
Stofsk wrote:I'm guessing/hoping for Yeoman Janice Rand. :)
I would 100% approve of this (equally if she was Nurse Chapel).

If she is playing a familiar face from continuity there are a bunch of angles they could take though (Carol Marcus?).
While I wouldn't mind seeing Carol Marcus, it leads into a concern of mine regarding the villain. I really hope we don't get Khan as the villain. There are plenty of other antagonists in the TOS rogues gallery without having to fall back on Khan.

Personally, I'm hoping for Kor or even Kang or Koloth.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Nero not withstanding I'm hoping they come up with there own ideas.

Why bother doing a reboot if you do the same old shit all over again?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

There's no way cumberbatch could convincingly play Khan. I heard one rumour that Clarke will be playing a Daystrom-esque character and Cumberbatch will be the evil computer.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:There's no way cumberbatch could convincingly play Khan. I heard one rumour that Clarke will be playing a Daystrom-esque character and Cumberbatch will be the evil computer.
Ha. I can't imagine Mickey the idiot being a genius. Though maybe if I'd seen Clarke in anything except Doctor Who...