Valve Hints something with 3 in it

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

TronPaul
Padawan Learner

Valve Hints something with 3 in it

Post by TronPaul »

Cue nerd confusion.
Valve VGA Vid Appears To Offer HL3 Clues Rock Paper Shotgun article

If true, FINAL FUCKING LY.

VGA video at supposedly 50% speed (local test with vlc does not check out)

UPDATE: Using this video and not the one off Game Trailers it works, however I'm still trying to find an official download of the video that matches the youtube video (it matches at 50% speed).
If it waddles like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it's a KV-5.
Vote Electron Standard, vote Tron Paul 2012
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Re: Valve Hints something with 3 in it

Post by Zixinus »

Valve: the company that makes a massive marketing success by messing with their own fanbase since 2003.

For all we know, it could be Portal 3, because Valve would like to pretend that everyone forgot about Half-Life.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
TronPaul
Padawan Learner

Post by TronPaul »

No ARG at this time, though the 50% video is legitimate.
ValveARG site

Valve really knows how to lay it on to be honest. They've gotten better than Blizzard at driving their fans into a frenzy. I admit I am one of those people.
I can't help it! Fuck Portal and Left 4 Dead, give me my Freeman!
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

I always find it amazing how people can sprinkle the tiniest hints of hidden meaning into their works and have a rabid fanbase go nuts about it.
They are working on HL3. This is nothing new. Even if they have hidden an allusion to that fact in the video, it's still absolutely useless information. It's just fanservice.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

TronPaul
Padawan Learner

Post by TronPaul »

Skgoa wrote:I always find it amazing how people can sprinkle the tiniest hints of hidden meaning into their works and have a rabid fanbase go nuts about it.
They are working on HL3. This is nothing new. Even if they have hidden an allusion to that fact in the video, it's still absolutely useless information. It's just fanservice.
I don't recall seeing any definitive we are working on HL3 or Ep3 anywhere from Valve or reliable sources. Plus when there's fan action in the fan service it makes it much more interesting. Especially when you've been waiting for HL3 or Ep3 for years.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Something with 3--
It's about time The 3 Amigos got a video game adaptation--
It's obviously Half Life 3.
:(
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

I have to wonder if HL3 is too little, too late, like DNF. Color me meh - I don't recall ever feeling like the "Freeman saga: needed any more entries. Unless it's Morgan Freeman.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

I don't know, at the end of Ep2 I really wanted to get a chance to shoot some Combine Advisers. I'd actually be happy even if it was built to the same specifications as HL2, but I'm sure Valve will feel pressure to make it supershiny.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Why does it take Valve 10+ years to start working on a totally generic shooter? Don't get me wrong, I liked Half Life 2. But what is it that causes them to take a ridiculous amount of time to make a by-the-numbers shooter with physics puzzles?
Best care anywhere.
TronPaul
Padawan Learner

Post by TronPaul »

CaptHawkeye wrote:Why does it take Valve 10+ years to start working on a totally generic shooter? Don't get me wrong, I liked Half Life 2. But what is it that causes them to take a ridiculous amount of time to make a by-the-numbers shooter with physics puzzles?
I don't think Valve have gone the DNF route, they've been working on a lot of other stuff, Hatconomy, Portal and CS:GO come to mind. Episode 2 left us in kind of a cliff-hanger, Spoiler
crazy aliens with some kind of mind powers eat Eli's brain, then you are saved by Dog.
Plus it's a sci-fi universe that isn't Star Wars, Star Trek, or Mass Effect, sign me up.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

CaptHawkeye wrote:Why does it take Valve 10+ years to start working on a totally generic shooter? Don't get me wrong, I liked Half Life 2. But what is it that causes them to take a ridiculous amount of time to make a by-the-numbers shooter with physics puzzles?
One would hope they've been working on Source 2 instead of prolonging the life support for a wonderful but now dated engine that has stopped aging gracefully a while ago. (Aging gracefully doesn't just mean looking good, it also means not having a loading screen after thirty feet.)
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

What's their structure like these days, anyway? Why would they feel the need to make games at all, when they've got a perfectly good model rocking right now?
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Because they can? All these game engine programers, game designers, artists, etc., won't help them that much with running Steam, so why not put these people to use making even more money?

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Stark wrote:What's their structure like these days, anyway? Why would they feel the need to make games at all, when they've got a perfectly good model rocking right now?
They want to make games? I mean, sure, they could twiddle their fingers are money from Steam rolls in, but they presumably want to do more than that, too?

Even better, they aren't so constrained on game production (whether they use that freedom is another question!) since that they have that independent revenue stream.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Why would they feel the need to make games at all, when they've got a perfectly good model rocking right now?
Because making a game won't rock that model anyways? It's not like HL3 (or as I am guessing, Portal 3) would interfere with other services on Steam (not any more than any other game).
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Plus, valve games are a powerful asset for steam because they encourage people to buy into their ecosystem and provide a hedge against people leaving it. Very old games aren't as good at that.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Zixinus wrote:or as I am guessing, Portal 3
I really doubt that they would be working on Portal 3 already. Not only did they release extra level for Portal 2 in October, they have also announced that they are working on a level editor for it.

Valve isn't finished with Portal 2 yet.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

xthetenth wrote:Plus, valve games are a powerful asset for steam because they encourage people to buy into their ecosystem and provide a hedge against people leaving it. Very old games aren't as good at that.
Yeah. Without their flagship products based on the Source engine like TF2 or Portal Steam would not remained dominant for so long.

It's sort of like why Epic still makes games when they make huge amount money from licensing Unreal technology alone.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Leve designers don't program editors. ;)

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Sarevok wrote:Yeah. Without their flagship products based on the Source engine like TF2 or Portal Steam would not remained dominant for so long.

It's sort of like why Epic still makes games when they make huge amount money from licensing Unreal technology alone.
What's the similarity? Buying a Valve game means you have to use steam and can never leave. Buying a UE-based game doesn't have any strings attached.

Its arguable that Halflife 2 is the reason Steam took off at all. Everyone played it, so the base market for Steam was huge despite it sucking piles of ass for years.

I just don't count 'mods released by teams Valve bought' as Valve games. :lol:
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Stark wrote:I just don't count 'mods released by teams Valve bought' as Valve games. :lol:
For the purpose of discussing exclusives they can use to tie people into their ecosystem, it'd be silly not to.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Yes it would. Especially if they didn't actually make any of those games.
Best care anywhere.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

No he's right, there's an important distinction between Valve-developed games and games Valve buys to leverage into steam retention tools. I'm speaking in the sense of 'Valve developed games' because their core business appears to be much more publishing and distribution than development.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

They develop and distribute a shit-load of hats.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.