Your favorite ST Starship design

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Your favorite ST Starship

Constitution TOS/Refit (Classic)
23%
Excelsior (workhorse of the fleet)
10%
Galaxy (oh my God that saucer is huge!)
2%
Bird of Prey TOS/Movies (Klingon Classic)
3%
D'deridex (Man this thing is big)
11%
Miranda/Reliant (KHAAANNNN!!!!)
6%
Sovereign (sleek and dangerous)
13%
Defiant (small but dangerous)
14%
D-7/K'tinga (workhorse)
3%
Other (anything else)
13%

Total votes: 97

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Your favorite ST Starship design

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

This has probably been done before, but since I don't want to revive an old thread...here we go. Basically the question is what (of these choices) is your favorite design. I'm not asking from a firepower or speed standpoint, just a personal preference one.

My personal favorite is the Excelsior. Ever since I first saw that ship I have just loved the design, it just looks right to me. It is streamlined and looks like its moving even sitting still (unlike some other ones...). Plus, when you look at the Sovereign (my second favorite) it looks like it came from the Excelsior (how people think that the Sovereign relates to the Galaxy at all is beyond me).

My least favorite though would be a tie between the Ambassador and the Galaxy. The Galaxy has that oversized saucer, and the Ambassador just looks like a miniature Galaxy, not something that is developed from the Excelsior.

And a small note...I put Reliant next to Miranda since I know people who like just the Reliant as opposed to the class itself.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Your favorite ST Starship design

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Tough choice.

By a narrow margin, I choose the Sovereign.

Edit: on second thought, I could go for the Intrepid.
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Eleventh Century Remnant »

One of these beasties;

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Prometheus_class.

There is definitely debate to be had and arguments to occur- I'm sure this is going to turn into a slanging match of some sort- but I just like the clean, sleek, balanced, streamlined looks of the Prometheus in unitary mode. It doesn't look almost deliberately goofy; it looks like a fast ship intended to go in harm's way.

I'd want to gut it internally, of course- strip all the triplicated systems, remove the outer hull armour and shielding that has to be along the joins, remove the ability to separate, and use the volume saved to restore the diplomatic, transport and scientific- analytical facilities required of a general purpose starship;

possibly could be done without much if any reduction of the thing's combat worthiness, and produce a true modern successor to the jack of all trades and master of most Constitution class.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Constitution refit, all the way. Some of the others don't look half bad-I never had any problems with the Galaxy layout nor understand what's so hot about the Sovereign or intrepid (call me a traditionalist, but I like my Starfleet ships to have recognizable saucers)-but the Constitution refit's got grace. The introduction sequence of the refit E-Nil is about the best scene in TMP.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I went with Other - the Akira class. I like the look and the shape and the clear evolution of the Reliant/Miranda class.

Mainly though, it's because the first Akira we see is the USS Thunderchild and I love both the name and the ideas it evokes, even if the spelling is wrong.

The Reliant and the Excelsior are a close second, for looks and awesomeness in the films.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

If we're talking looks, then it's Sovereign all the way, baby. Simply a gorgeous looking ship. :P
My overall favourite, however, would have to be the NCC-1701-A, though...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Nebula class, it's the 24th century version of the Miranda class. It has all the space and power of a Galaxy class, without anything hanging out like the Galaxy has. But only if it has the triangular pod, that oval pod doesn't look right to me.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I would agree thatthe Nebula is a good design, but imho the 24th-century Miranda is the Akira. Of course, that's only if you are comparing design and looks rather than relative strengths, as you presumably were.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Yeah, I never liked the look of the Akira, that open space just seemed ill advised to me. But that's just my personal taste. Course, I didn't like the look of the NX-01 either.
Cesario
Subhuman Pedophilia Advocate

Post by Cesario »

For all Voyager gets (deservedly) ragged on, I actually do like the Intrepid design.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Cesario wrote:For all Voyager gets (deservedly) ragged on, I actually do like the Intrepid design.
The Intrepid is an excellent ship. There's something about its sleek appearance that's quite nice, and its a very capable design: it is one of Starfleet's fastest classes in canon, and its clearly fairly durable. And it can land on planets.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

For me it gotta be the Excelsior, It's just a well proportioned ship without any bad angles and luckily it doesn't have those awful red/blue lights on the nacelles that make the "newer" ships look like Christmas decorations.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

I voted for the D'deridex. What can I say? Excessive green-ness appeals to me on some level. Probably my latent treehugging tendencies acting up again and mixing oddly with my love of high technology.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

The correct answer is the Ambassador class. The lines of an Excelsior with the updated styling of TNG era.
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

Excelsior, Enterprise D, the various Bird of Preys that have shown up throughout Star Trek, and the D'deridex.

Only thing I don't like about the D'deridex is the excessive open space, but eh.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

No one has said the original or better yet, the Refit Enterprise?

fail thread is fail
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

I favor the D'deridex too. It just made me a great impression when it first appeared: in TOS, the Romulans were an old enemy with high firepower but forced to rely on nuclear fusion for power or buy foreign ships, and then in TNG the first thing we see of them is THAT... Pure shock effect.
VarrusTheEthical
Padawan Learner

Post by VarrusTheEthical »

Defiant all the way. Big guns, big engines, and no dead-weight sciency stuff.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Stofsk wrote:No one has said the original or better yet, the Refit Enterprise?

fail thread is fail
Guess we're a bunch of Rocky Roads in your Vanilla.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

FaxModem1 wrote:Guess we're a bunch of Rocky Roads in your Vanilla.

You guys ARE talking about how the Akira is more a follow-on to the Miranda than the Nebula, so lets not draw attention to yourselves.

The model quality for the ST stuff sells a lot of the designs, regardless of what they look like - the refit model is awesome and they get a lot of good shots of it, so it always looks better than the blue smudge that is the Galaxy (etc).
Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

spaceviking wrote:The correct answer is the Ambassador class. The lines of an Excelsior with the updated styling of TNG era.
Agreed, although I keep calling them Alaska's mentally.

I have a modified Miranda I sketched out that I like, flip the engines and rollbar top and bottom. That gives engines up and rollbar down. When you go into combat, by lifting the bow to present the primary weapons, you shelter the warp pylons and bridge with the hull.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

For me it's a toss-up between the Defiant and the Sovereign, but I went Defiant. She's a keg o' whupass in a can-sized packaging.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Sovereign though I like all of the TOS Starfleet ship designs, even the Oberth. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Vor'cha class battlecruiser. I like Klingon warships because they look so focused, no spouses and children to get in the way when the shooting starts (and let's be honest, the shooting WILL start in the most inopportune time, so you might as well be ready).

Besides, it looks intimidating as hell- the words "No one provokes me with impunity," in metal form.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

The warbird of course. And no, I don't accept any other name for it. Ever since I first saw that thing I knew ST was worth watching. Now don't get me wrong, I like how ST ships look. But let's face it. All the other starships of all the other races just look like they are made out of toothpicks or random geometrical shapes. The warbird just looks completely out of that world. It looks and feels no nonsense and yet with all its windows and sleek lines it does not feel out of place. It is the kind of ship that will stare you down in the darkens of space and make you wet your self. And the dark green just has a sort of ominous look to it.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.