What alterations would you make to my "Sci Fi" Fantasy?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Dr Roberts
Padawan Learner

What alterations would you make to my "Sci Fi" Fantasy?

Post by Dr Roberts »

I am currently writing a story which is basically your typical fantasy but IN SPACE! Magic Is a trait anybody can use but you need the right spells, symbols and ingredients etc so Instead of Science people learn the different spells at school and University. FTL is acheived through "Teleporters" People with a degree in AstroTeleportation. They can make 1000 Ly jumps at a time and require 5 minutes rest before performing another "Jump" Although this is mitigated by having several of these aboard a ship. Communications are performed by people with degrees in Telepathy. Weapons are Enchanted cannons which accelerate cannon balls to about 6% c and protects it from the harsh reality of space.
Have Computer/Virus/Malware etc. problems or questions feel free to PM me.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Re: What alterations would you make to my "Sci Fi" Fantasy?

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I'd add more details, mostly.

People?
Places?
Politics?
Plot?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Are you doing a space opera but replacing all the 'tech' with actual-factual magic? Haha, man that's a pretty cool idea.

Is there any underlying system to the magic that would affect the plot, or is it just 'magic instead of technology'? Are there aliens a la star trek? Their magic working differently would be a cool explanation for having different colour (magic) laser beams.

Oh god you should have a faction of space elves and actually call them 'space elves'. This is just such a cool idea I might have to steal it.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

First question: is this going to be a comedy or serious?
Second question: either way you chose on the first question, are you planning to play it straight?
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

You definitely want to figure out your 'goof' factor. I played a magitech scifi setting, and there were a few kinds of 'drives';

1. Teleport Drive.
2. Blink drive, like the dnd spell blink.
3. Shadow drive, like the dnd spell shadow walk.

Then there was a game-changer when one of my party-members invented an 'Interphased Shadow Blink Drive', which made ships ungodly fast in normal space.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Even though this would just be basicly a new flavor of science, I would have magic work with predictable outcomes, a good number of old fantasy universes would tend to just say "i have magic powers, so i can do anything with out limit", look at the Eldar of 40K when your thinking about having usable magic. But any new stories are interesting. The first thing i would suggest you do is to decide what powers the magic: human will/mana, some sort of energy well between universes, a language that warps reality, or what ever.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.