The Clone Wars Season 4.

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Ryag Han
Youngling

Re: The Clone Wars Season 4.

Post by Ryag Han »

guess who's back.

if you guessed Darth Maul, you are correct! season 4!
95% of people laugh at other people because they are different. Copy this into your profile if you are a part of the 5% that laughs at the other 95% because they're all the same

RAT-FLAIR
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

With a single-bladed lightsaber?

Last night's episode was alright, though a bit dull and rushed. Apparently R2D2 can pilot a Y-wing and beat a Vulture droid in a dog fight. The episode basically came off as an homage to Guilliver's Travels and The Wizard of Oz starring C3PO and R2D2, sandwiched in between a couple of minor space battles.

But I did like Padme's millions of worlds line. :)
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Ryag Han wrote: if you guessed Darth Maul, you are correct! season 4!
I'm so shocked. It's like there wasn't a topic about this earlier. :P
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

If done right, this Maul thing could at the very least be interesting. Id love to see him kick the snot out of Grievous and perhaps get to go up against Dooku in a brawl. Maybe trying to reclaim his former place or, more ambitious still, take the title of Dark Lord altogether?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Thinktank
Redshirt

Post by Thinktank »

The Romulan Republic wrote:With a single-bladed lightsaber?
It was cut in half during the battle that lead to his "death"...

Re: Latest episode (10/28/2011)
Good lord!
Spoiler
The Besalisk Jedi "General Pong Krell" is a total jackass! It is as if every bad
trait Karen Traviss dreamed up for the Jedi was condensed into one four armed
dual weilding douchebag. This is a Jedi that has no compassion and is also very,
very bigoted towards his cloned personnel. I am kind of shocked that this ever got
past the "I've got an idea" stage of pre-production. Since this a 4 part arc, I hope
the story really comes up with a good reason and resolution for this odd turn.
"The fruit is rotten. The Serpent's eyes shine..."
Don Henley: The Garden of Allah
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'm not sure why that's so terrible. One would expect that out of ten thousand or so Jedi, their are a few assholes. Unless the episode portrays all Jedi like this, I'm not sure what your problem is.

I highly doubt the series is adopting the Travis view of Star Wars, as in the past its undermined her work on a number of occassions.
Ryag Han
Youngling

Post by Ryag Han »

latest episode was nice. good old fashion star wars battle! Krell is showed as asshole, but the Jedi so far were portrayed in a good fashion. Krell is the first Jedi that i saw that's a douche.
95% of people laugh at other people because they are different. Copy this into your profile if you are a part of the 5% that laughs at the other 95% because they're all the same

RAT-FLAIR
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

This is easily the most awesome episode of TCW ever. Hell, it's easily the most awesome episode of any modern cartoon ever.

The Republic Army used actual tactics, calling in an airstrike when their positions were compromised. The Umbaran militia was pulling some serious Vietcong shit, striking from the darkness and then fading back into it, and their tanks were friggin awesome too.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Darksider wrote:This is easily the most awesome episode of TCW ever. Hell, it's easily the most awesome episode of any modern cartoon ever.

The Republic Army used actual tactics, calling in an airstrike when their positions were compromised. The Umbaran militia was pulling some serious Vietcong shit, striking from the darkness and then fading back into it, and their tanks were friggin awesome too.
I'm not so sure: the clones still walked upright into blasterfire and stopped in the middle of the road to discuss things after just escaping an ambush.

The new Jedi general would be better placed commanding a droid battalion than leading a group of clones.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Thinktank
Redshirt

Post by Thinktank »

Ryag Han wrote:latest episode was nice. good old fashion star wars battle! Krell is showed as asshole, but the Jedi so far were portrayed in a good fashion. Krell is the first Jedi that i saw that's a douche.
Douchey-ness in at least one Jedi is somewhat expected with so many cultures interwoven in
the Old Republic. There is bound to be the "nest of assholes" planet somewhere in the galaxy.

It is that he makes bigoted comments about clones that floors me. Jedi and Bigot really do
not mix at all the way the Jedi Path has been explained. Mace Windu can be a hard vicious
bastard if needed but General Krell has presented new level of "Wait - Wut" regarding the Jedi
order and it's vetting of members, especially prestigious one.

>>>

Agreed, this episode had some of the hardest, nastiest fighting I have seen in American
animation. The visuals, or lack there of in some scenes was also really well done.
"The fruit is rotten. The Serpent's eyes shine..."
Don Henley: The Garden of Allah
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Good episode. Anything focusing on the clones is great, and it really showcases Dee Bradley Baker's awesomeness, considering he's basically talking to himself the whole time. One of the best such moments was when Rex and a trooper almost got crushed/impaled when the worm thingies went down, and the trooper made a dumb pun about it. Rex's "Move out, trooper" was appropriately strained patience at the incredible lameness of the pun and the trooper's delivery, which also gives a nice little touch because let's face it, there are plenty of times people are just unfunny. Even clones.

Jedi General Douche is still a douche, though I can see more of his character now. He's definately one of those Jedi Generals who commands like real-life generals: behind the lines where he can see the whole picture. There's nothing inherently wrong with that; Yoda did it in AOTC and ROTS, though I can't recall if he's done the same in the show. But this Jedi's problem is that he seems to view the clones as assets to be expended to secure an objective, not as the people that they are. Unfortunately, that's something which can occur in real life, as well. So I don't see this as too out there on the show's part, and if anything is a good indication of how this war is changing (and corrupting) the Jedi Order. Ironically, this style of command actually makes him much more likely to survive Order 66 than the Generals who lead from the front. Yoda is also an example of this: while he definately benefited from his sense of what was happening, he also only had to deal with two clones, not a whole platoon of them at once.

Much good development of the clones, and you can see that Rex is getting close to the breaking point, and the strain is definately intense on his men.

There's quite a bit to like about this episode, and I'm eager to see where the arc concludes. Also: Sergeant Appo = win
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

This arc is just fantastic so far. I had a bit of a continuity squee when we saw Sgt Appo as well.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

This arc has officially replaced "Landing at Point Rain" as my favorite war-centered arc. The focus on the troopers on the front instead of the super-human jedi and the general brutality of the combat (Rex executing that pilot was a major WTF moment for me) make it so much more awesome.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Vympel wrote:This arc is just fantastic so far. I had a bit of a continuity squee when we saw Sgt Appo as well.
Glad to know someone at LFA's been reading the novels.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

JME2 wrote:
Vympel wrote:This arc is just fantastic so far. I had a bit of a continuity squee when we saw Sgt Appo as well.
Wasn't Appo the Clone officer who got killed by the Jedi protagonist near the end of Dark Lord?

I can't remember him from anywhere else.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
JME2 wrote:
Wasn't Appo the Clone officer who got killed by the Jedi protagonist near the end of Dark Lord?

I can't remember him from anywhere else.
Yeah, Appo's the trooper Shryne beheaded during the invasion of Kashyyyk.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Hmm, wasn't he basically Vader's top Clone subordinate.? He must have got promoted at some point: he was Commander Appo when he died.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Yeah, in other words its pretty clear Rex doesn't survive the series. In fact, its not clear who the commander of the 501st is. Rex is just a Captain. Its strange.

Appo is in RotS too (he's explicitly named as "Clone Commander Appo" in the script). He's the clone that tells Bail to leave at the Jedi Temple. He was injured by the Padawan who tried to get away, but not killed.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Vympel wrote:Yeah, in other words its pretty clear Rex doesn't survive the series. In fact, its not clear who the commander of the 501st is. Rex is just a Captain. Its strange.

Appo is in RotS too (he's explicitly named as "Clone Commander Appo" in the script). He's the clone that tells Bail to leave at the Jedi Temple. He was injured by the Padawan who tried to get away, but not killed.
Doesn't nessissarily mean Rex dies. We've seen Clone deserters before today. Granted, it seems more likely that Rex would not do that.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Or he could merely be reassigned.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

If I had to make a guess on how this show is going to go, I would say that Rex dies, and Ashoka leaves the Order. I doubt they'll kill Ashoka off because of her age (though she wouldn't be the first child character to be killed in this show). Though maybe its wishful thinking on my part because I think Ashoka has gotten some interesting character development and it would be a pity to have her killed off so soon.

Rex would be easier to kill off while still being important and developed enough that his death would make a major impact on the audience.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Will Anakin Skywalker slay his first jedi next episode ;-) ?

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Krell is certainly setting himself up for it.

Also, we get our first in-universe mention of firepower yields in direct terms, with the separatists using missiles with a "100 megaton yield" to harass the Republic forces advancing on the capital, but when we see the missiles hit, it's not even close. I'm sure some of the more obsessed trekkies are already latching on to this the same way they do every other episode of this show, but still, 100 MT for a ground attack weapon is a bit much. a 100 Megaton blast without whatever tech they use to direct the force of their normal weapons would be large enough to wipe out essentially any clone formation seen in the series thus far. At that point they might as well use orbital strikes, but it's possible the Separatist and Republic fleets are tied up engaging each other in the upper atmosphere as seen around the supply ship.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

I think it's just safe to presume that the missiles that impacted weren't the actual 100 megaton ones.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Yeah, one clown already tried that on SB.com. It got shut down right quick - you don't redefine English words when you can just say the missiles referred to in the previous scene were not the ones used later in the episode - Fives isn't prescient or a mind-reader, his saying the Umbarans have missiles of X yield doesn't mean that they must use them - using missiles that powerful on their homeworld would be pretty insane.