Favorite Paranormal Investigators/Eliminators

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Favorite Paranormal Investigators/Eliminators

Post by JME2 »

So it's Halloween and supernatural stories have been flooding movie theaters and television channels. I thought it'd be fun to see who people consider to be their favorite paranormal investigators or and/or eliminators in any fictional medium.

For my number one slot, it's got to be the best, the beautiful, and the only -- Ghostbusters.

I'd also consider Angel Investigations to be in a close second.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Favorite Paranormal Investigators/Eliminators

Post by Batman »

As the inclusion of Angel Investigations means investigators that areparanormal are allowed I nominate Forever Knight, which I to this day consider to be the best vampire TV series ever. (which is probably why there are never any reruns of it on at all. Ever.)

Second, I'd say Blood Ties. A female lead that's easy on the eyes, nice detective/vampire/love interest triangle they actually didn't do half bad, tied with Moonlight.

Sorry, Ghostbusters was fun, but it was also one movie (let's not talk about the second). Forever Night alone lasted long enough that I'll probably have to hunt it down on DVD because there's no way I saw all of it on TV.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Harry Dresden is probably my favorite; but the others already recommended aren't bad at all. Vicki Nelson of of Tanya Huff's Blood books was very good too; I never saw the Blood Ties show however. And I really liked Forever Knight as well.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The X-Files. All the major good characters.

Also, the protagonist of the series Nowhere Man.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:Harry Dresden is probably my favorite; but the others already recommended aren't bad at all. Vicki Nelson of of Tanya Huff's Blood books was very good too; I never saw the Blood Ties show however. And I really liked Forever Knight as well.
For my money, Supernatural, Dresden Files, and Ultraviolet.

Blood Ties? Loved the books. The TV show was a stagnant pile of preheated vomit that took everything fresh about the original and ground it into the tepid conventions of what's laughably called "relationship drama"; every single interesting aspect had to be brought in line with viewer expectations and sociosexual mores in order to avoid breaking new ground. The books, especially the first three, were good, but I have rarely been so insulted by a TV show.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Favourite paranormal investigation/elimination group: the Ghostbusters.

Favourite individual paranormal investigator: Prof. T. Elliot Stokes of Dark Shadows.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden has got to be my choice for this one. Good attention to detail and foreshadowing in the writing make even rereading them a pleasure.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Gotta go with Buffy & Co. It got weird in the later years, but the team circa season 3 was pretty good.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

It isn't, to the best of my knowledge, TV, but I'm going with Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:It isn't, to the best of my knowledge, TV, but I'm going with Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.
Doesn't need to be TV to fit the OP:
JME2 wrote:<snip> in any fictional medium.<snip>
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Right, missed that part. Yep, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency takes it for me. Especially the amusing bills :D
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

There was a TV adaptation of Dirk Gently; it was actually pretty good, if not much like the book.

My choice has to be John Constantine (Hellblazer), partly because he's such an utter bastard; but mostly because he stabbed the devil in the face with a broken wine bottle.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

So many good things have been mentioned, including a few of my favorites. But I'll add two more:

Hellboy and the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense.

And an odd example: Riot Force Six from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Strikers.

Okay, Riot Force 6 is an odd example since it's sorta what the BPRD would look like if it was part of the United Federation of Planets, they can befriend their enemies through superior fire power. :D
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Should/does Artemis Fowl count?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
VarrusTheEthical
Padawan Learner

Post by VarrusTheEthical »

I would have to go with Abraham Van Helsing, the original Vampire Slayer.
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

My favorite was Carl Kolchak from Kolchak:The Night Stalker series. It was a 1970's series about an investigative reporter that kept finding very odd stories.
"Single-minded persistence in the face of futility is what humanity does best." Tim Ferguson
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Batman wrote:I nominate Forever Knight, which I to this day consider to be the best vampire TV series ever. (which is probably why there are never any reruns of it on at all. Ever.)

<snip>

Forever Night alone lasted long enough that I'll probably have to hunt it down on DVD because there's no way I saw all of it on TV.
I can't recall call on Forever Knight as a paranormal investigation show. Mostly because the paranormal stuff happened relatively rarely (often as a personal matter), quite a good deal of it was police show.

It might have had more in the second season, but I admit that I couldn't watch it. The first's season's angst I could handle, but the second had it dialed up so hard that they broke the knob.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Got to be Ultraviolet. Why get a teenage girl with a pointy stick to fight vampires when you can call in the SAS?
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

The Astronaut/Vampire from Colin Wilson's "Space Vampires" hey immortality through tantric sex, and draining just a little energy from your harem, oh and living in lord Byron's castle with the Queen of England in your eternal debt?, did we mention that you killed the last PM, and stopped your creator from taking over the world?[flash=][/flash]

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

evilsoup wrote:My choice has to be John Constantine (Hellblazer), partly because he's such an utter bastard; but mostly because he stabbed the devil in the face with a broken wine bottle.
Don't forget giving him the finger during "Dangerous Habits".

Constantine's #3 on my list.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

He gives satan the finger a whole bunch of times during the Ennis run. It gets to the point where he foils a plan, and then kicks himself for forgetting to give the finger to the fucker.

And he tells the king of the vampires to go eat shit, that was great.

Or in one early issue, he prevents the second coming of Christ. Man, what a dick.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
ComradeClaus
BANNED
Location: Ossurary Gateworld, Corrupted Wilderness, Star Wars Galaxy. Serving her Divine Highness.

Post by ComradeClaus »

evilsoup wrote:He gives satan the finger a whole bunch of times during the Ennis run. It gets to the point where he foils a plan, and then kicks himself for forgetting to give the finger to the fucker.

Or in one early issue, he prevents the second coming of Christ. Man, what a dick.
The stuff Keanu DOESN'T do in the movie, right?

btw, what's constie's beef w/ J-man?

My pick for paranormal would be Yusuke Yurameshi's team from YuYu Hakusho. Exorcise demons, help ghosts pass on, bring 'democracy' (instead of several kings warring for centuries, having a tournament to pick a president every few years) to the Demon World, fight terrorists in the afterlife. Prevent armageddon, sell ramen noodles...

Cool series, though it fails a bit at the end.
Jade Owl
Padawan Learner

Post by Jade Owl »

Keevan_Colton wrote:Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden has got to be my choice for this one. Good attention to detail and foreshadowing in the writing make even rereading them a pleasure.
I would go with Dresden as well, as long as I didn't own or live in any building involved in the case.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Salvor Hardin, Isaac Asimov "Bridle and Saddle" (aka "The Mayors", in Foundation), 1942.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I can't believe I forgot "Repairman Jack"

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

ComradeClaus wrote:
evilsoup wrote:He gives satan the finger a whole bunch of times during the Ennis run. It gets to the point where he foils a plan, and then kicks himself for forgetting to give the finger to the fucker.

The stuff Keanu DOESN'T do in the movie, right?
I distinctly recall him giving Satan the finger near the end of the movie. Though I don't remember him doing the other two.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961