"Once Upon a Time" Talkback (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

"Once Upon a Time" Talkback (Spoilers)

Post by JME2 »

So is anyone else watching the new ABC fantasy series?

I'm liking it. The pilot didn't blow my socks off, but there's potential. And now that everything's set up, the second episode's moving things along nicely.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: "Once Upon a Time" Talkback (Spoilers)

Post by FaxModem1 »

Only seen the pilot so far. I enjoyed it, and for a while I was actually on the Mayor's side, as she seemed like a fair if a bit strict mother. I'm going to continue watching this on Hulu.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The Pilot was a bit underwhelming (as most pilots are) but I will give the series a few episodes. The creative staff and the cast are excellent.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

I watched the first two episodes. It's alright so far. I've yet to be really offended by anything (unlike, say, Terra Nova), and the acting is solid. I plan to keep watching, as I think it's going to get better.

I do find the American accents in the fairy tale sections somewhat jarring. I also loled at "someplace horrible" being Bumblefuck, Maine.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

So, thoughts on the last two weeks.

Again, things are set up and the plot's moving along. I'm still curious who Graham represents in the real world -- especially given the ending of tonight's episode.

I also like that the show's not done with the Fairy Tale flashbacks. The pilot gave us the broad strokes and now we're getting the small details, from Snow and Charming's first meeting to how Rumpelstiltskin was captured.

The latter's interesting because it reinforces what Rumpelstiltskin told Regina in the second episode: all magic has a price. And one of the big questions has been whether Regina retained her memories. There's enough evidence to go either way, but I leaning towards her not knowing.

Gold falls into the same category, but he would never create magic or a curse that could be used against him.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'm calling it now, Sheriff Graham is the Huntsman from the story of Snow White.

Also, Rumpelstiltskin/Gold is actually the grand villain in the show, and I'm curious in how that is going to go, and how far Regina/the Queen will go against everyone else and I'm starting to think that's her theme, she's always making the wrong decision and ends up paying the price for it.

This is fast becoming my favorite show on the air right now.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I like it, but as much as I like it, I'm starting to need some pay off with all the flashbacks and what not. They've fleshed out the characters a lot with the backstories, but now they've introduced more characters with their own flashbacks to flesh them out and I just really want the plot to move along a little now.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

So, we're back with the first of the post-Thanksgiving episodes.

I really liked tonight's installment. While Jiminy Cricket has always been part of the Pinocchio story, it was the Disney film that really established the character as we know him.

So, it was an interesting -- and darker -- twist to his backstory within the show.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I liked today's episode, whereas before it could still be construed as just Henry's imagination, we now know it is real.

Anyone else like the nice touch that Geppeto made a wooden son because he had wooden parents?
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

FaxModem1 wrote:Anyone else like the nice touch that Geppeto made a wooden son because he had wooden parents?
Yeah, it was an interesting, albeit darker way to explain Gepetto's history with marionettes and puppets.

I also loved Hopper standing up to Regina and threatening her at the end.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Another great episode tonight with some excellent twists.
Spoiler
I did not see the Twin brother angle coming; it also ties nicely into the origins for both Cinderella and Snow and changes the entire dynamic of Charming's actions/behavior before the Curse.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

FaxModem1 wrote:I'm calling it now, Sheriff Graham is the Huntsman from the story of Snow White.
I called it.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, now we know the Mayor remembers everything, and the mayor thing is just an act. Which means, wow, that all the previous episodes of her come in a brand new light.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

FaxModem1 wrote:So, now we know the Mayor remembers everything, and the mayor thing is just an act. Which means, wow, that all the previous episodes of her come in a brand new light.
It's also very bad for our plucky heroes because it means Regina still retains at least some access to her magics in the real world.

This was a scenario that I was afraid might occur. Regina activated the curse in the first place because she had been pushed too far -- at least for her -- in the magical world. Thus far, her actions have been manipulative, yet petty. Now, she's been pushed into that territory again and it cost Graham his life.

So, like the death of Doyle on Angel a decade ago, we've lost the show's resident Irishman -- and his death will likely hang over the show for the rest of its run. Emma's lost one of her main allies and supporters within Storybrook's power hierarchy -- and as we saw in the preview, Regina's going to waste no time.

Their one trump card is that Regina still doesn't know Emma's the daughter of prophecy --- though I'm sure she has suspicions. If she finds out, then Emma's dead.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

A reminder to everyone that the show resumes airing tonight. Given the cliffhanger of the last new episode, this is gonna be good... :twisted:
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

The one good thing about Stargate Universe getting cancelled was that it freed up Robert Carlyle for this show.

As much as I enjoyed seeming in magnificent bastard mode, as usual, it was also fascinating to see him powerless and cowardly. Now we understand why he's obsessed with deal-making and why he's such a bastard.

Next week looks fun too -- especially as Emma Caulfield (Anya of BTVS) will be playing the Witch of Hansel and Gretel.

On a side note, I'm embarrassed that I didn't recognize Brad Dourif as the old beggar - especially given he played Gríma Wormtongue in LOTR.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Now I really liked the Hansel and Gretel one, even just for the creepiness of the witch, and the justification of why the house was made of candy.

Tonight's episode, with the story of the Mirror's back story and the scheming he did with Emma, was utterly predictable for me. Course, I saw the twist coming, as it seems lifted from an episode of Justice League.

I am looking forward to the Beauty and the Beast episode next week.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

FaxModem1 wrote:Now I really liked the Hansel and Gretel one, even just for the creepiness of the witch, and the justification of why the house was made of candy.
Emma Caulfield did a good job as the witch, though given Buffy writer Jane Espenson's presence on the staff, I kept expecting them to throw in an allusion to Anya (ex. bunnies, money, etc.)
FaxModem1 wrote:Tonight's episode, with the story of the Mirror's back story and the scheming he did with Emma, was utterly predictable for me. Course, I saw the twist coming, as it seems lifted from an episode of Justice League.
Here's a plot hole that's bugging me: If Sidney was in on the plan, then why didn't Emma pick it up with her lie-detector. Was she too blinded by anger for Regina did Sidney only know select parts of the plan, just enough to get past -- unless Sidney's a double agent.

It was nice seeing his history as the Mirror fleshed out and now another key piece of the backstory's in place.
FaxModem1 wrote:I am looking forward to the Beauty and the Beast episode next week.
Likewise.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I admit, I did not see the genie thing coming. It's nice though, it means in addition to medieval fairy tales, they can still expand for other genres, like they did with King Midas and Greek myths, they now have 1001 Nights to draw from as well. Who knows? Maybe we'll expand into Russian folklre and meet Baba Yaga.

As for the lie detection thing, I think Emma has to be focusing on them as they're talking. When she isn't, it will slip by, or she's lying about her ability to see if people are lying.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

FaxModem1 wrote:As for the lie detection thing, I think Emma has to be focusing on them as they're talking. When she isn't, it will slip by...
And naturally, Regina is Emma's hot button issue. I think that's the best explanation for now, unless Regina is now employing magic in her campaign.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

:shock: Well, this is a surprise. So now we have two people in the know. And both of them are at each other's throats. After last week's bummer of an episode, this one more than made up for it. It appears the Queen likes having an ace up her sleeve.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

And now we have confirmation that Gold remembers his past. I knew it; he would never have made a curse that could hurt him.

Now the cold war between Regina and Gold takes on a whole new dimension. This is going to make the rest of the season very interesting.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Two additional thoughts on last night's episode.

1. Since Disney owns ABC, I loved the allusions to the animated Beauty and the Beast, from Belle's gowns to Gaston (when he said no, I quipped, "No one says no like Gaston") and even Chip's (inanimate) cameo.

2. Since Regina knew about David and Mary's affair, we knew she'd hold that card until it was right to play. And it looks like all hell is going to break loose.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, Dwarves get the short end of the stick in the world? Seriously, a rather ugly side of the fairy tale world got revealed with them essentially being glorified slaves so that the world will keep spinning.
Rahvin
Jedi Knight

Post by Rahvin »

FaxModem1 wrote:So, Dwarves get the short end of the stick in the world? Seriously, a rather ugly side of the fairy tale world got revealed with them essentially being glorified slaves so that the world will keep spinning.
And hatch as adults, fully clothed, from eggs.

That was a bit much for me.
"You were doing OK until you started to think."
-ICANT, creationist from evcforum.net