Awesome Video - Flying with a Hawk

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Awesome Video - Flying with a Hawk

Post by Broomstick »

My spouse found this yesterday, and it's a really cool video.

The aviation geek in me gets all thrilled about watching the hawk's variable wing geometry and things like the alula in action. But you don't have to know anything about that to appreciate the coolness here. It's well worth watching in full screen high def, too.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Awesome Video - Flying with a Hawk

Post by LadyTevar »

Wow. Just.... wow. So beautiful, and I wished I could be soaring with them.

I had to watch it a second time to see what you meant by the alula, and it was so clear I wonder now why I've never noticed it before in nature dramas showing raptors landing. That section of wing seems to move several centimeters off the main wing during landing, which is far more movement than I'd have expected.

The link stated that several ancient fossils show the alula, which means the function has been around for much of avian evolution. I'd think the question now would be why did some species lose it.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

LadyTevar wrote:Wow. Just.... wow. So beautiful, and I wished I could be soaring with them.
Well... you need to know a falconer.... the parasail rig costs around $6,000.... you'll need an instructor to go with you at least at first.... it's possible, but I'm thinking there's a bit of time and money involved. :lol:
I had to watch it a second time to see what you meant by the alula, and it was so clear I wonder now why I've never noticed it before in nature dramas showing raptors landing. That section of wing seems to move several centimeters off the main wing during landing, which is far more movement than I'd have expected.
I'm sure you HAVE seen it before... you just didn't notice it before because you didn't know to look. It's subtle compared to the overall wing motion, and birds do move fast.
The link stated that several ancient fossils show the alula, which means the function has been around for much of avian evolution. I'd think the question now would be why did some species lose it.
It's not essential for flight, just really useful. Birds like hawks absolutely require them due to their need for maneuverability and precision, but I could imagine scenarios were birds don't need to be highly refined flyers where loss of the alula doesn't impact survival for the species. Penguins, for example, certainly don't have them, but then, they only "fly" in water. Emus and kiwis don't fly at all, so don't need them. Some birds aren't particularly proficient flyers, relying more on running and climbing, so lacking an alula wouldn't be such a big deal for them.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Good link Broomie, crossposting to facebook.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Just got scared thinking how do the birds recognize all those strings, though they seem aware and don't fly over their heads and keep to the sides.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Birds see a HELL of a lot better than we do, and hawks even better than a lot of other birds. What looks nearly invisible to us is probably as obvious to him or her as a telephone pole at 20 paces is to us.

Really, the capacity of birds to see, interpret visual information, and make judgements regarding relative speeds and such is FAR superior to human capabilities in those areas. Although a little foot-scrabbling in the video shows that even hawks aren't perfect at it. Still, their innate aviation abilities blow ours completely away.

The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Well, they are hawks. They have fantastic eyesight, I'm sure they can see the strings just fine. Certainly better than you can.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Great find, Broomstick.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Agreed. Really nice. I wish I could do this actually.