Looking for a Stealth Fighter

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Looking for a Stealth Fighter

Post by SAMAS »

Back in the mid-to-late '80s. I remember a model for a, I'm guessing theoretical, Stealth Fighter with a flattened fuselage and oval-shaped wings. An old G.I. Joe toy, the Phantom X-19 was loosely based on it.

Does anyone have any idea where that design originally came from, and if it had an official name/designation?
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: Looking for a Stealth Fighter

Post by Sea Skimmer »

That is kind of familiar, but the the US had dozens of Advanced Tactical Fighter projects in the 1980s, with varying levels of stealth. Without more details I couldn't tell you; you might have the most luck browsing some of the ATF threads on Secret Projects, though you need to create an account to view attached images. Only the YF-23 and YF-22 had would official designations, everything else would have company designated model numbers and nicknames.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Didn't Tom Clancy (or some author) write a book about the 'F-19' that was so wrong the military was happy to have people believe it secretly existed?
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The Clancy/Larry Bond book Red Storm rising had an F-19 in it, but this was hardly unique to those authors, the F-19 designation was VERY commonly referenced for the known but black US stealth fighter program which turned out to be F-117 because it had skipped over in public documents. Only in the last couple years has it finally been clarified that the F-19 designation was intentionally skipped at the request of Northrup. Northrup wanted an even number F-20 for its Tigershark fighter because they thought that might help exports a little bit; all the MiGs of the third world being odd numbers. The designation of F-117 meanwhile is now know, but not with any great clarity, to be linked the USAF practice of using century series numbers for captured/stolen/bought Soviet MiGs flown secretly over Nevada. Some numbers were used for multiple projects and aircraft, so by using 'just another one' for stealth fighter related activities they helped confuse even people working on the classified test ranges and classified air traffic control channels as to what was really going on.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Sigh. Infodumps aside, the Clancy book had a specific design which later showed up in other media (like the F-19 game), and which certainly influenced 80s toys. The GI-Joe stuff was at least semi-original, unlike the masses of horrible line drawings flight sim players had to live with.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The book description and the toy are both based vaguely off some real projects. Indeed some companies not even invited to take part in ATF ended up putting out fairly reasonable stealth designs, to the point that the USAF became concerned it had leaks. Not much more to say then that. Stealth shaping isn't exactly magical in the broad spectrum, its all about puny details and materials.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Is this what you're looking for?

A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Hm... its both cool and fugly at the same time. Anyone else agree?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It looks wonky, but almost like it would work... not sure about that tail configuration, mind you.

I wonder what payload capacity on a fighter built that way would be- you've got room for a pretty wide bomb bay, I think.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Gervasius
Redshirt

Post by Gervasius »

SAMAS wrote:Does anyone have any idea where that design originally came from, and if it had an official name/designation?
AFAIK, design came from scale model company Testors in 1986, and most other "F-19" models were directly inspired by it.

Testors F-19 "Stealth Fighter"

Very similar concept was first shown in NatGeo in 1981, which most likely inspired Testors to make "F-19":

Information gathered from here.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Yeah, Testor also put out an 'Aurora' which was basically a triangle with jet engines; not sure how much of that was conjecture and how much was based upon what was actually known about the F-117 at the time. Always liked the lines of that one, although in retrospect the engines it had sitting on its ass were kind of out of place...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Looks like one of the contenders for the Havblue project. I think it was the Northrop entry.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Gervasius
Redshirt

Post by Gervasius »

Elheru Aran wrote:Yeah, Testor also put out an 'Aurora' which was basically a triangle with jet engines; not sure how much of that was conjecture and how much was based upon what was actually known about the F-117 at the time. Always liked the lines of that one, although in retrospect the engines it had sitting on its ass were kind of out of place...
Revell also had some nice ideas, for example look at their B-2, before real B-2 was shown to public:

Credit to ARC's Steve Eggers for photo and model

Of course, there were some totally wacky ideas, such as MiG-37 "Ferret" and Zvezda's "Ka-58" (I've seen this helicopter promoted as a real project on several websites).

Drifting OT here, sorry.
Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

There is also this toy, which fits the OP description:

I suppose the awe surrounding the SR-71 and XB-70 programs account for the prevalence of canard-delta planforms, inward-canted vertical tailplanes, and drooping wingtips among these pre-F-117 conjectural stealth designs.
Robert Gilruth to Max Faget on the Apollo program: “Max, we’re going to go back there one day, and when we do, they’re going to find out how tough it is.”
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:Is this what you're looking for?

Yep, that's the one!

On another note, while looking for other pictures on it (now that I have a name to start from), I came across this comic panel:

[imghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/1189/f19sparkeder5.jpg[/img]

Anybody know what comic it's from?
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

I'd say that's probably a G.I. Joe comic.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Gervasius wrote:Revell also had some nice ideas, for example look at their B-2, before real B-2 was shown to public:

Credit to ARC's Steve Eggers for photo and model
Again slightly off topic but was that not the model that had the company receive a visit from some military types wanting to know how they could make such an "accurate" model??
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

The_Saint wrote:Again slightly off topic but was that not the model that had the company receive a visit from some military types wanting to know how they could make such an "accurate" model??
There was a rumor (marketing ploy?) about the Navy forcing a recall of a Nautilus submarine kit due to it's extreme accuracy in the 1960s, and Hyman Rickover supposedly did complain about Revell's 1961 Polaris sub kit having too accurate a floorplan in it's missile silos, but I've never heard anything about military concerns in connection to B-2 kits.

By 1986-87, practically everyone knew it was going to be a flying wing, anyway.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I think he's remembering the B-2 prop from that 80s Honda commercial.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
General Trelane (Retired)
Jedi Knight

Post by General Trelane (Retired) »

Elheru Aran wrote:Yeah, Testor also put out an 'Aurora' which was basically a triangle with jet engines; not sure how much of that was conjecture and how much was based upon what was actually known about the F-117 at the time. Always liked the lines of that one, although in retrospect the engines it had sitting on its ass were kind of out of place...
Aurora wasn't based on the F-117 at all. Instead, Aurora was (some say is) a hypersonic spy plane, hence its conjectured triangular shape and strange engines.
Time makes more converts than reason. -- Thomas Paine, Common Sense, 1776