"War of the Green Lanterns" Talkback (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Re: "War of the Green Lanterns" Talkback (Spoilers)

Post by Ahriman238 »

It actually does make a sort of sense to boot Hal, if he's suddenly capable of overiding the ring's safeties and/or hardwired protocols. Of course, this isn't because the Guardians are taking reasonable steps to prevent abuse of a ring's power. It's because there is now a being in the universe that can kill them, and that is not acceptable. They even call him "the Most Dangerous Green Lantern," which is saying something, while Ganthet is still wearing the colors of the Corps and Sinestro has a ring.

Did anyone else notice that Larfleeze was terrified of the ring, until it flew onto his finger and he reverted to normal? Or that Indigo was confused and apparently had no memory of her time as a Lantern?

As much as Sinestro may find himself unwelcome in the Corps, I think the other Lanterns are going to be a lot more cheesed at John.

Any idea what's going to happen with all the extra Green Lanterns Krona had recruited?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Ahriman238 wrote:Did anyone else notice that Larfleeze was terrified of the ring, until it flew onto his finger and he reverted to normal? Or that Indigo was confused and apparently had no memory of her time as a Lantern?
Larfleeze's terror makes sense. Like the One Ring, the Orange Light corrupts the user and yet they can't live without it. This is the first time in centuries that he was free; I'd be terrified of being ensnared again.

Indigo-1's lack of memory reinforces the brainwashing effects of the Indigo Light.

This is something I really want Johns to address. It's been 2 years since their introduction and it's time to delve into the Indigo Tribe's backstory. There's such potential storytelling here: what did Abin do? How will Sinestro, who holds his mentor's memory in hightest regard -- react to Abin's actions in the past?
Ahriman238 wrote:As much as Sinestro may find himself unwelcome in the Corps, I think the other Lanterns are going to be a lot more cheesed at John.
Spoiler
Bedard confirmed that John and Sinestro will both be seeing vigilante justice against themselves in the relaunch.
Ahriman238 wrote:Any idea what's going to happen with all the extra Green Lanterns Krona had recruited?
Last week's GLC dealt with this. Their commissions have been rescinded. At least, a rookie named Quinara, fought to prove she wanted to remain in the Corps.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I remember Johns saying that Compassion doesn't mean what we probably assume it does. Beyond that, nada.

Huh, I was just thinking back to when there was an actual story titled "Mogo doesn't socialize" about what a solitary lantern he is. To be fair, he can't exactly swoop down on an alien world to prevent a purse-snatching, the close proximity of a planet will create far more problems than he could ever solve.

That said, the jolly green giant seems to have gotten a lot more popular recently, serving as an impromptu counselor for the Corps, and directing the rings.

I'd really like to see the Guardians try and make Sinestro and Kyle work together. Or Sinestro and Natu.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

JME2 wrote: This is something I really want Johns to address. It's been 2 years since their introduction and it's time to delve into the Indigo Tribe's backstory. There's such potential storytelling here: what did Abin do? How will Sinestro, who holds his mentor's memory in hightest regard -- react to Abin's actions in the past?
I think Indigo-1 is the lone surviving girl from the crash that brought Abin Sur to Ysmault in Tygers.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

That was my theory during TBN, too.

I thought Johns discounted that, though.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Really? Never knew that. I looked on Google for a while to see if that was dismissed by Johns. Couldn't find anything, though.

Now that I finally got to reading it today, I must say I gave a little smile when Sinestro ended up with more or less the movie version of his Green Lantern uniform.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Panzersharkcat wrote:Really? Never knew that. I looked on Google for a while to see if that was dismissed by Johns. Couldn't find anything, though.
I could be wrong and mixing up my details.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

So Aftermath# 1 is out.

Doesn't really add much, but it does start to set up the plot elements Bedard discussed in his interview.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Hal Jordan ends up taking over the Sinestro Corps, redubs it Parallax Corps?

Also the whole "Guy Gardner still tained by Red Lantern" thing seems to have disappeared rather conveniently.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Uh, yes it was. Kyle used the blue ring to cleanse him.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Hal Jordan ends up taking over the Sinestro Corps, redubs it Parallax Corps?
Well, we can infer from the October solicitations...
Spoiler
That Sinestro will be sent to Korugar to deal with his amigos. There are several possible catalysts:

1. The Guardians are testing him.

2. Without Sinestro to keep them in check, the SC is fracturing again and has endangered Korugar.

3. His ring sought out the next greatest fear monger in Sector 1417 -- and we all know Mongul's still imprisoned in the Yellow Power Battery. So given what happened when he tried to seize control last time...

As for Parallax, he and the other entities are on the loose again. This is probably what Kyle and his crew will be up to: rounding the entities up.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Comic Book Resources has posted the recap of the GL panel from Comic-Con. Nothing new, but still interesting.

On an unrelated note, I'm half amused and half exasperated to see the Jordan fanboys across the net bitching about Hal's discharge, that GL has jumped the shark and they're abandoning the franchise again.

I'm sorry, but:

1. Hal's discharge is not permanent. DC is not going to keep their perennial Lantern off the playing field indefinitely.

2. Having Sinestro back in the GLC has fantastic storytelling potential.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

They brought the guy back from one of the very few (and possibly the most important) lasting main character deaths in DC history only to shove him out again? I don't think so. Methinks some people are being hysterical.
As for Sinestro, I'm sorry but I can't help but snigger. The Guardians don't really want him on the Corps, the Corps decidedly don't want him on the Corps, and Sinestro himself doesn't want to be on the Corps either! This is going to be most interesting.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

I know. I love Hal and all, but come on! The reactions from the rest of the Corps over having Sinestro back in their ranks would be worth it.

EDIT: Especially as they wonder if the Guardians have lost the last brain cell in their heads readmitting a guy who's been trying to kill them for decades.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Panzersharkcat wrote:EDIT: Especially as they wonder if the Guardians have lost the last brain cell in their heads readmitting a guy who's been trying to kill them for decades.
Exactly. The Lanterns' disatisfaction with the Guardians has been growing since the end of the Sinestro Corps War. While I thought it would lead to internal strife prior to TBN -- and indeed, was what I originally thought WOTGL would be about -- this is even better.

As I noted before, this will probably end up being the last straw for the officers. Even money says the Guardians will be deposed or forced out within the next year -- or at the very least we'll have a full-on revolt.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Food for thought-as it apparently was Mogo and not the Guardians who saw to it that only the right candidates got Green Lantern rings (though since Sinestro originally got one the big guy was apparently not exactly flawless himself) the Corps might wonder if the Guardians are any longer (or ever were) qualified to manage the Corps.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

IIRC, that one time when the Guardians all died out (no, not when Hal became Parallax and killed them all, before that) didn't the last Guardian and Zamoran park their dying rears on earth because "Earth will spawn the next race of immortals" and choose a dozen or so humans to ascend to immortality/great power and become the New Guardians?

Now whatever happened to them?
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Steve wrote:Uh, yes it was. Kyle used the blue ring to cleanse him.
D'oh, ok I went back and reread parts #8 and #9, I had forgotten it was in Part Nine right before they reclaimed their green rings. I think it was a moment that didn't get enough time but I really shouldn't complain too much since apparently it was only me who really felt it was a forgettable moment.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Ahriman238 wrote:IIRC, that one time when the Guardians all died out (no, not when Hal became Parallax and killed them all, before that) didn't the last Guardian and Zamoran park their dying rears on earth because "Earth will spawn the next race of immortals" and choose a dozen or so humans to ascend to immortality/great power and become the New Guardians?

Now whatever happened to them?
They fought a villain named Snowflame that was powered by cocaine.

Seriously.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

They fought a villain named Snowflame that was powered by cocaine.
But...I...They can't...

What?

No seriously, what the hell? They were supposed to be the New Guardians. The largest organized force of Green Lanterns since the Corps was disbanded relocated to earth to be the first of the new Corps, they fought an epic mass-crossover battle with the Manhunters to keep the candidates for this safe, and they turned out to be just another dime-a-dozen superhero team?

What happened to being the first of the new race of immortals? What happened to all the months of training to devolp a profound understanding of the universe?

So much for my idea that there might actaully be a viable replacement for the Guardians out there.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Aftermath #1 out. Damn, I thought Hal had a bit more self-worth than that. Seriously, he falls to pieces and it's completly unbelieveable. He's lost his ring before. He's had friends be depowered, he's kicked ass just fine without a ring. Since Rebirth, he's never flown with the ring, because he doesn't want to have a safety net other pilots don't. I don't like 'swinging dick Hal' that much, I thought bringing him back cut a lot into Kyle, who's story was finally getting interesting, but his proclaiming he'd nobody anymore is just pitiful.

Saint Walker shows up and regenerates Ganthet's hand with his ring, something else we didn't know the blue could do. He also seems oddly accepting of his Corps' founder abandoning them to wear green.

And the unofficial justice starts now. Three lanterns go to some trouble to get John alone, only for Kyle to intervene. The ending is a bunch of lanterns trying to recruit Natu into their conspiracy to assasinate Sinestro.

Salaak orders the rings to report on the psychological state of their wearers, and almost 100% of the Corps has PTSD after being turned into zombie psycho-killers by Krona. This will doubtlessly make life fun for everyone living under the space cops' jurisdiction.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Ahriman238 wrote:Aftermath #1 out. Damn, I thought Hal had a bit more self-worth than that. Seriously, he falls to pieces and it's completly unbelieveable. He's lost his ring before. He's had friends be depowered, he's kicked ass just fine without a ring. Since Rebirth, he's never flown with the ring, because he doesn't want to have a safety net other pilots don't. I don't like 'swinging dick Hal' that much, I thought bringing him back cut a lot into Kyle, who's story was finally getting interesting, but his proclaiming he'd nobody anymore is just pitiful.
It's worth noting that Bedard's characterization of discharged Hal doesn't synch up with Johns' characterization at the end of the crossover. Maybe something was lost in the planning or execution.

Then again, Hal just fought all of his fellow officers, saw Mogo destroyed, wielded multiple emotions, and nearly became a Guardian. I'd be suffering full-on PTSD too.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Not to mention he and the other Earth Lanterns saved the Corps from oblivion, but not only do they kick him out, they keep Sinestro. 'Well, since you pretty much are the one who saved this outfit and all, we'll...throw you out and instead rehire the guy who's been trying to kill us for several decades.'
I've never been a big fan of Hal (funnily enough, I've actually commented on that in the comics on numerous occasions, and he doesn't particularly like me either it seems :D ) but I think in this particular case he has a goodly amount of reason to be upset. The Corps looks like it's about to fall apart, and without a ring he can't be there to prevent it.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Batman wrote:The Corps looks like it's about to fall apart, and without a ring he can't be there to prevent it.
And the ones that could, the Earth Lanterns, are divided and fractured due to Hal's expulsion and John killing Mogo.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

About the only one of the others that could is Kyle, and that's a maybe, at best. He started out as the only Lantern remaining and may decide the universe is better off without the Corps (especially given the apparent idiocy of the Guardians), John offed Mogo (if for completely understandable reasons) so I seriously doubt they're gonna trust him, and sorry, if Guy is going to be their role model, maybe retiring the Corps isn't such a bad idea :P