My Little Pony

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Hawkwings »

Well that's not a very good comparison, seeing as this show is aimed towards a younger audience and teaches life lessons about friendship. Think children's educational tv, not entertainment tv. In addition, Hasbro told the production team that the shows should be viewable in any order, leading to the very self-contained episodes we see and no strong overall story arc. Still, there are plenty of references to earlier events in the show, especially if you look a bit closer.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Gentlemen, Why MLP-FiM is AWESOME:
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Hawkwings wrote:I recently started watching this, and I have mixed feelings. About the show? No, the show is great! Good characters, catchy songs, good story, and well told too. It's just the fact that it's an ongoing series. While on the bright side this means new content is coming out, it also means that I have to wait a week to see new things! I've been spoiled by archives, I tell ya.
Well, that won't be an issue after next week, will it? The season is ending, and then we won't have anything at all until December.
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

I certainly didn't expect Pinky Pie to cut up Rainbow Dash and bake her into cupcakes. :shock:
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Wanted to put this out, discovered via random google searching.
It is an Epic 103 Page long thread devoted to MLP that started in MARCH,

103 pages in two months.
http://www.facepunch.com/threads/107325 ... Tree-Right
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

That's nothing. Here's a thread that at 47 pages in two weeks.

Anyways, about the show...

The last episode of season 1 just aired yesterday. Considering how much material they had to cram in there, I'll excuse the fact that it was really rushed near the end. The big musical number at the beginning was a bit long and not to my taste, but still very well done. And apparently it's another Sondheim homage too, this time to "Ever After" from the musical Into the Woods.

The plot was about what I expected, and the jokes were good and kept it proceeding snappily. Rarity's moment on the stairs got a great laugh from me, but Fluttershy's entrance near the end totally stole the episode. Overall a great way to end the season, and certainly a good lesson for those fans that were building up expectations for the season finale. Very applicable, almost like they planned it that way...

No more ponies until December :(
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Hawkwings wrote:That's nothing. Here's a thread that at 47 pages in two weeks.
And here's one that reached 92 pages in about 2 weeks. Some good pictures posted there, this one really appeals to me for some reason.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Nope, learn to math, that's a month and two weeks.

The latest news and fan art and fiction are usually at http://www.equestriadaily.com/

Like this bit of news for instance. Lauren Faust is stepping down as Executive Producer.

My favorite piece of art I've discovered is probably this.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Hawkwings wrote:Like this bit of news for instance. Lauren Faust is stepping down as Executive Producer.
:(

That is indeed unfortunate news. I mean, it's clearly not the end of the world; the quality work we got was the result of a team effort and it's not like the show will collapse without her - but it's still a little worrying. I'll try to stay optimistic about the characterization and humor for next season. Worst case scenario, I can still be glad for what we got.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Hawkwings wrote:Nope, learn to math, that's a month and two weeks.

The latest news and fan art and fiction are usually at http://www.equestriadaily.com/

Like this bit of news for instance. Lauren Faust is stepping down as Executive Producer.
Yeah I heard about that and it makes me a little nervous, but I would rather see this as her stepping down willingly as a vote of confidence. Hopefully she sees the show has become popular enough, and the Execs have learned to let the creative team "do its thing" without too much meddling. Hopefully this is her leaving as a vote of confidence to the the show, and not her leaving because of disputes or differences with the Execs

Hawkwings wrote:My favorite piece of art I've discovered is probably this.
There is SOOOO Much awesome "MLP Fanart out there, and that one is no exception.

It does however remind me of ONE complaint I have had with the show which is, since EP1 there has been NO LUNA. Now I won't wish to complain, so many of the Eps we have had have been amazing, but you would think there would be at least ONE follow up episode utilizing what is essential the original reason for the show coming together, that being the "redemption" of Luna. I mean, maybe something along the lines of a "Lunar Festival" so she is remembered and doesn't get pissed off again, or maybe a check up[, to see how she is progressive in being "nice": again. Or shoot maybe just show her at Celestia's side every now and then.

Shoot for all we know, Celestia Exiled her back to the moon and no ones noticed :P
Which makes me think of THIS bit of Fan art
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

Yes, I think that was very odd. But she's going to show up next season. And I second the love for the fan art, the fandom (or Bronies) are part of the reason why I like MLP. I think it'd be quite lonely if I had to watch this all alone.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

This is where it's at.

Actually, considering season 2 is apparently going to feature both Luna and a recurring villain, you know what I'd like to see? Nightmare Moon possessing Fluttershy.

Flutterage in the finale was fricking hilarious, but I feel like this could be explored further. Picture her dealing with some anger issues in season 2, and perhaps her being tempted by the force that was controlling Luna/Nightmare Moon. Then she could get corrupted by it for an episode for two, causing Luna to team up with the main cast and temporarily wield the Element of Kindness to get her back to normal.

Not very likely, I suppose, but I can dream...
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

I find it amusing just how much Fanart has depicted Celestia as either:
A: a Heartless Tyrant who rules Equestria with an Iron Hoof: (see fanfics HERE and fanart HERE
or
B: a total dick who toys around with the citizens of Equestria for her own amusement, IE "accidentally" loosing her dying pet Phoenix to torment Fluttershy. And Other incidents

EDIT:
by the by, is there anywhere one can go to get current ratings and viewers of MLP FiM? I am curious how its ratings stack up against some of the other stuff right now ;)
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Celestia is a bitch

Well, actually, I think there's a severe lack of pro-Celestia material out there.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Well on Neutral Grounds, there is one analogue the fans have cooked up.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

The more I look into the "Bronie" fandom, the more I am convinced it is largely college students and geeks behind this. I recently uncovered something which made me think immediately of SD.net. I am sure others have seen this by now, but it is an elaborate and immensely detailed deconstruction of the physics required for Rainbow-dash to pull of her "Sonic-Rainboom"
I'd love to post the image, but it is a MASSIVE pic, so I invite everyone to go read it HERE

Also I find yet more awesome fanart dedicated to the Tyranny of Princess Celestia And her Oppressive rule
Along with an equally amusing Rebutal-
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:The more I look into the "Bronie" fandom, the more I am convinced it is largely college students and geeks behind this.
It's a thing mostly powered by people with lots of free time who spend much of it on the internet, so, duh.

It's also one of those things which lends itself well to this sort of internet shits and giggles behaviour, much like Rozen Maiden did a few years ago, due to being characterful and silly.
Sithking Zero
Youngling

Post by Sithking Zero »

Vendetta wrote:
Crossroads Inc. wrote:The more I look into the "Bronie" fandom, the more I am convinced it is largely college students and geeks behind this.
It's a thing mostly powered by people with lots of free time who spend much of it on the internet, so, duh.

It's also one of those things which lends itself well to this sort of internet shits and giggles behaviour, much like Rozen Maiden did a few years ago, due to being characterful and silly.
Some people have the ability to make masterful and insightful statements about certain topics on a regular basis.

I cannot, so all I have to say is that yeah, that sounds pretty accurate.

Also, it's "Brony." Not "Bronie."
34. If your gun is leaving scorch marks, you need a bigger gun.
35. That which does not kill you has made a grievous tactical error.
36. When the going gets tough, the tough call for close air support.
37. There is no such thing as "overkill." There is only "Open Fire," and "I need to reload."

Maxims 34-37, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries.

Chapter Three of Concordiat Ascendent is now up.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

I seriously need to watch the rest of this season...I've seen a few scattered episodes and the ending, but that was about it.
I am an unabashed convert to the Brony cause, though; I was reluctant to watch, but it only took that one episode with Dash teaching Fluttershy to cheer to get me interested, and then hooked.

Also, I think it goes:
I am a Brony, He/She is a Brony, They are Bronies.
...since I can't think that I've heard any female variant, it seems to be unisex.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

I've heard female fans described as "fillies" a fair bit.
Sithking Zero
Youngling

Post by Sithking Zero »

Molyneux wrote:I seriously need to watch the rest of this season...I've seen a few scattered episodes and the ending, but that was about it.
I am an unabashed convert to the Brony cause, though; I was reluctant to watch, but it only took that one episode with Dash teaching Fluttershy to cheer to get me interested, and then hooked.

Also, I think it goes:
I am a Brony, He/She is a Brony, They are Bronies.
...since I can't think that I've heard any female variant, it seems to be unisex.
Hmm... good point.

Hang on, got something for you... http://www.youtube.com/user/MASTERLINKX ... 3&ob=5#p/u This is MASTERLINKX's youtube profile page. He has most of the episodes uploaded.
34. If your gun is leaving scorch marks, you need a bigger gun.
35. That which does not kill you has made a grievous tactical error.
36. When the going gets tough, the tough call for close air support.
37. There is no such thing as "overkill." There is only "Open Fire," and "I need to reload."

Maxims 34-37, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries.

Chapter Three of Concordiat Ascendent is now up.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

So I'm noticing that the A.V. Club did a review of the series (as well as an article about the trailer mash-ups). It's generally positive, but the people commenting seem rather closed-minded and dismissive, still.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Bright wrote:So I'm noticing that the A.V. Club did a review of the series (as well as an article about the trailer mash-ups). It's generally positive, but the people commenting seem rather closed-minded and dismissive, still.
I was the same way until I actually sat down and watched an episode or two. There's a strong pressure to dismiss it as "just a girly kids' show".

The solution? Hell, I don't know. Start broadcasting episodes from the screens in Times Square? :lol:
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Molyneux wrote:The solution? Hell, I don't know. Start broadcasting episodes from the screens in Times Square? :lol:
I thought the solution was to stop being a stick in the mud and realize not everything has to be GRIMDARK to be fun, even though we may laugh at the absurdity of making MLP Grimdark:

A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Obviously someone hasn't read the MLP/Fallout crossover fic.