The US Navy in SF

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

The US Navy in SF

Post by MKSheppard »

From the Official US Navy Art Collection at the Washington DC Navy Yard.

I got a CD with the best of -- about 798 images.

They have a collection of about 3000+ paintings, sketches etc there at the Yard, and throughout the Navy itself.

But they have virtually no real money at all to run the art program.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Re: The US Navy in SF

Post by Sarevok »

Question about the last picture.

Are those some kind of underwater fighter craft deployed from submarine carriers ?!
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
HeadCreeps
Padawan Learner

Post by HeadCreeps »

Good god. I'm a sucker for blues. Really love the way the carriers sit in the background of the first pic in contrast to the aircraft. Those are absolutely amazing - are there any others to be shared in this vein? Do you have the artist's name?
Hindsight is 24/7.
[/size]
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

HeadCreeps wrote:Good god. I'm a sucker for blues. Really love the way the carriers sit in the background of the first pic in contrast to the aircraft. Those are absolutely amazing - are there any others to be shared in this vein? Do you have the artist's name?

That would be John Berkey. A man who single handidly dominated sci-fi art during the 70's. Pick up any pulp sci-fi book or zine from that time and you are bound to see something by Berkey.

I have no doubt you have seen tons of his work already, most people do. most however don't realize it all comes from ONE MAN.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Man, that third picture takes me back to the well-loved copy of Our Universe I have back at my parent's house.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Yep, same guy.

I remeber as a kid going through the hundreds of "ANALOG" sci fi books my dad had. At the time I htought that in the 70's all the sci-fi artists drew the same way, because you see that style everywhere. Didn't find out till later it looked the same because it was all done by the same guy.

And "Our Universe" god that brings back memories. did you get the version with the cardbored telescope you could put togetehr with those slides?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
HeadCreeps
Padawan Learner

Post by HeadCreeps »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:That would be John Berkey. A man who single handidly dominated sci-fi art during the 70's. Pick up any pulp sci-fi book or zine from that time and you are bound to see something by Berkey.

I have no doubt you have seen tons of his work already, most people do. most however don't realize it all comes from ONE MAN.
That may be, but I have to admit I have no backing in the area of pulp sci-fi. I'm a giant robot/shounen anime and JRPG kind of guy.

Thanks for the name. Color schemes don't come naturally to me because I cannot see an entire spectrum of color (pinks, reds, some greens), so Berkey's color arrangements here are quite the inspiration.
Hindsight is 24/7.
[/size]
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I get a Coast Guard vibe off the right-hand ship in the second image. I think it's the paint job doing it for me.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: And "Our Universe" god that brings back memories. did you get the version with the cardbored telescope you could put togetehr with those slides?
I don't ever recall seeing that, so I guess not.

Unfortunately the binding for our copy has disintegrated, and so the pages have come apart. I occasionally find loose leaf pages from that book around the house. :(
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Uraniun235 wrote:I get a Coast Guard vibe off the right-hand ship in the second image. I think it's the paint job doing it for me.
I think so too - white is the color of the Coast Guard, not the Navy