DG/AEGIS (Shipbucket Style)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

DG/AEGIS (Shipbucket Style)

Post by TimothyC »

Not quite finished yet, but getting close:

Depreciated

For those that don't know, DG/AEGIS was an early proposed AEGIS destroyer. At less than 6000 tons full displacement she was one of the smallest AEGIS designs ever (the Norwegian Fridtjof Nansen class is about 600 tons smaller), and one of the earliest (DG/AEGIS predates the majority if not all of the 1970's CSGN designs). What I have represented here was the last, and arguably most capable DG/AEGIS designs.

As for the ship itself she carries a single Mk-26 Mod 2 GMLS (64 rounds of SM-2MR, ASROC, or Harpoon missiles), two Phalanx CIWS mounts, and a single LAMPS I helo (SH-2)
Last edited by TimothyC on 2011-04-07 04:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Re: DG/AEGIS (Shipbucket Style)

Post by TimothyC »

Latest Update:

Depreciated
Last edited by TimothyC on 2011-04-07 04:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

And what should be the final:

Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Post by Kenny_10_Bellys »

It's like a 'spot the difference' contest. All I can see that has changed are a couple of antennae and the additional strakes on the central hull. So you're saying this was never actually built?
visit http://www.kennyscrap.com for all your crap model needs.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Kenny_10_Bellys wrote:It's like a 'spot the difference' contest. All I can see that has changed are a couple of antennae and the additional strakes on the central hull. So you're saying this was never actually built?
Detail to which you refer are the "Masker" part of the Prairie-Masker system. It's blows bubbles around the hull, and all of the air-water interfaces dissipate the machinery noises while the system itself sounds like rain.

The Ship herself was never built, she was a concept for an austere AEGIS platform in an attempt to get AEGIS to sea. As I noted DG/AEGIS predated the common CSGN concepts of the mid-70s.
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Austere versions tend to have a way of showing up as export versions for third world a minor powers. The Prairie Masker system is completely new to me, never heard of it. That annoys me, because I play a lot of sub sims and try to keep up on the tech for these things. I'd have thought a bubble mask would have been more trouble than it was worth. The screw is going to be the main noise maker when moving, and when stopped it's going to be a very localised rain shower unless it's already pouring down everywhere. Wouldn't it also affect bouyancy? I need to start Googling this.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Kenny_10_Bellys wrote:Austere versions tend to have a way of showing up as export versions for third world a minor powers. The Prairie Masker system is completely new to me, never heard of it. That annoys me, because I play a lot of sub sims and try to keep up on the tech for these things. I'd have thought a bubble mask would have been more trouble than it was worth. The screw is going to be the main noise maker when moving, and when stopped it's going to be a very localised rain shower unless it's already pouring down everywhere. Wouldn't it also affect bouyancy? I need to start Googling this.
The Prairie portion of the systems is similar and but is localized around the prop. I don't see how it would effect buoyancy at all.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Looks good.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

I've been reading up on the prairie-masker system, very interesting. You have to love the interweb, you can go from having never heard of something to getting diagrams, pictures and schematics in a matter of minutes. :)

It looks like one of the main benefits of the system is not so much silencing the ship, but masking it's unique signatures so that the enemy can't classify and identify the target. You reduce detection range somewhat and confuse their sonar analysis systems, which has to be good.

The buoyancy thing was a reference to cases where gas bubbles have caused ships to sink. With more air than water around a ship it ceases to float, so deliberately pumping air bubbles all around sounded a bit dodgy. On reading the specs though, it's tiny holes at low pressure and only around part of the ship. no real danger there.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

This should be the final, final version:
Last edited by TimothyC on 2010-12-11 03:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Very nice. Is this for posting on a site somewhere, or just something you're doing for yourself?
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Eventually she will be uploaded to the Shipbucket Main Site (http://www.shipbucket.com) under the never built designs.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

As a thought exercise, I wondered what the ships would look like in an end of life configuration:

You can see several major changes:
  1. Addition of the Mk-110 57mm cannon forward
  2. Swapping out of the Mk-26 for an 80 cell VLS array
  3. Updated Comms and radar sets
  4. New, smaller mast following the removal of SPS-49
  5. Mk-49 RAM launcher in place of Phalanx
  6. Active Phased Arrays replacing the SPY-1 faces. This allows for the removal of the SPG-62s, which in turn gave me a place to put the SPQ-9
  7. Taller hanger to accommodate a single MH-60R Seahawk.
  8. Newer, more modern ship's craft in the form of RHIBs
I figure they would have been withdrawn in the 2007-2010 timeframe, if they last that long. A thank you to Erik_T for his help with this thought exercise.