[oBSG/BT] Mission of Civilization

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

syed
Redshirt

Re: [oBSG/BT] Mission of Civilization

Post by syed »

SO galactica gets a working base, what would that mean, does it have supplies, repair capability, manufactory ability, maps, tech databases. Say the fleet goes on to stomp the pirates in the area, all the people saved will want to join the safety. Eventually they will discover a man power issue. THey have a need for people, so go free the slaves, and find allies in the area. who doesnt want a warship to protect them.
MysteriousDarkLordv3
Youngling

Post by MysteriousDarkLordv3 »

Working base?! What working base?! Who said there was a working base? I said it was Camelot Command. You can look it up in the battletech wiki.
RhoOmicronMu
Youngling

Post by RhoOmicronMu »

syed wrote:SO galactica gets a working base
The base is nonfunctional.
, what would that mean, does it have supplies,
No, they where all stripped.
repair capability
the base used to have the capability to repair up to Battlecruiser sized vessals, but it is curently nonfunctional.
, manufactory ability, maps, tech databases.
No, to all three.

MysteriousDarkLordv3 wrote:Camelot Command received the signal. But the base had been abandoned for over two hundred years and the alarm echoed in an empty chamber. The powerful defense systems awaited instructions, inert.

The satellite continued to watch, impassive, waiting for instructions as the Kobolians and Botaneans built a civilian mining base in the same system as the most powerful Star League military base in the galaxy.
It certainly doesn't have powerful defenses. A few dilapidated anti-fighter turrets with no ammo at the most. Though if you believe the Cartoon there are some Lyran Commonwealth (it's a bit odd they're not SLDF) Mk 39 Voidseeker drone fighters in the area.
Franklin: "Robotic attack drones - defending the area from intruders!"
Kylie: "I didn't think they were the welcoming committee!"
Spector: (mystified) "Kwaidan to Banshee squadron: I've got you on my scope, and it looks like you were hit by some old Mark 39 Attack Drones. The Commonwealth seeded this sector with them back in the Second Succession War, but it was supposedly swept clean!"
Kylie: (snarky as ever) "Well, tell the maid she did a lousy job!"
Any Star League facility with the ability to construct warships, any warship at all, or a good numbers of mechs and fighters is more powerful than a hollowed out asteroid with a couple of turrets of dubious functionality, a few dropship landing pads, and a landing strip.

The most powerful Star League instillation left over is either the Ruins of Gabriel in Odessa with a functioning repair capability and a fleet of mothballed warships or the Titan Yards which built their last warship in 2949.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

RhoOmicronMu wrote:It was the reason given by the writers, IIRC. I'm not exactly sure what they meant by that myself.

You would need to do more than just nose up though. The backblast from the engine could damage the fighter otherwise. That's the same reason aerodyne dropships don't normally take off vertically. Using the main drive mounted in the belly a few feet off the ground would do bad things to the dropship. If your interested, there should be an explanation of that in the rules section that describes doing it.
Ah yes, backblast. That makes perfect sense, it's the reason why nobody uses spheroid dropships that land and takeoff from hardstands all the...time.

No, that doesn't make any sense, do it over again. Use your brain this time.

My point was that they didn't avoid destroying Dropships because they where rare like they did jumpships.
So? Dropships are big and expensive, and like the age of sail, there are going to be a lot of prize ships out there. No pirate would destroy a potential ride, especially if their own ship has limited cargo space.
If you seriously believe this, I have a bridge I'd like to sell to you. There is no reason to suppose that an AC-2 mounted on a dropship or a warship as point defense is the same gun carried by a scout mech, it's just a rules abstraction!
The same model of weapon of the same type from the same manufacturer are used on tanks, mechs, aerospace fighters, dropships, and warships. A Sunbeam Large Laser made by Diverse Optics is the same weapon no matter where you put it.

Where did you get the idea a dropship mounted AC-2 was different from a mech mounted AC-2 anyway? Do you believe aerospace fighters mount yet a third type of weapon or the same type of weapon as mechs? I can understand the different ranges everything has in different situations causing confusion, but the idea is really quite odd.

I might not be able to respond for a day or two, but I'll get back to you.
Why should a dropship mount an AC-2 that is the same as a mech's? It's a different beast, the weapon has a different role, range, ammunition, different environment, different mount, different targets. An AC-2 would be used by a dropship to pick off light fighters or to shoot down missiles, whereas the mech's AC-2 is for killing light vehicles and infantry. These are very different jobs, and it does not make sense to use the same gun for both of them! If the designers choose to be idiots, that's their prerogative, but I'm not drinking from that tainted cup with you.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
RhoOmicronMu
Youngling

Post by RhoOmicronMu »

Vehrec wrote:Ah yes, backblast. That makes perfect sense, it's the reason why nobody uses spheroid dropships that land and takeoff from hardstands all the...time.

Aerodyne dropships usually have two separate drive systems. The main drive that is used in space is located in the belly to keep the floor the floor under acceleration. The drive used in atmosphere is located at the rear of the dropship. As such aerodyne dropships are designed to primarily use the drive at the rear of the ship to take off and land.

The rules for it are supposed to be in Strategic Operations which I don't have so I had to take peoples word for it. Looking at Total Warfare they can take off their just subject to a standard control role. It may work fine, I don't have the references to tell for sure.

So? Dropships are big and expensive, and like the age of sail, there are going to be a lot of prize ships out there. No pirate would destroy a potential ride, especially if their own ship has limited cargo space.
My point was that they didn't avoid destroying Dropships because they where rare like they did jumpships. If anyone avoids destroying them, and they do, they do it because they want them.
Why should a dropship mount an AC-2 that is the same as a mech's?
Why shouldn't they if they work just as well?
It's a different beast, the weapon has a different role, range, ammunition, different environment, different mount, different targets.
The ammunition is the same, mechs and dropships both have to work in atmo and in space, the mount is diffrent, mechs and dropships have to shoot at mechs, fighters, and dropships. The range is effected by the environment the mount and how long each turn in the game is, but the projectile and muzzle velocity is the same.
An AC-2 would be used by a dropship to pick off light fighters or to shoot down missiles, whereas the mech's AC-2 is for killing light vehicles and infantry. These are very different jobs, and it does not make sense to use the same gun for both of them! If the designers choose to be idiots, that's their prerogative, but I'm not drinking from that tainted cup with you.
First, AC-2s aren't used to shoot down missiles. The AC-2 is actually an excellent weapon for tanks and mechs to use against Aerospace fighters or VTOLs. Dropships use their weapons to defend themselves when they are on the ground so there is a pretty good chance that dropships AC-2 will be used to shoot at tanks, infantry, or mechs.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

RhoOmicronMu wrote:
Vehrec wrote:Ah yes, backblast. That makes perfect sense, it's the reason why nobody uses spheroid dropships that land and takeoff from hardstands all the...time.

Aerodyne dropships usually have two separate drive systems. The main drive that is used in space is located in the belly to keep the floor the floor under acceleration. The drive used in atmosphere is located at the rear of the dropship. As such aerodyne dropships are designed to primarily use the drive at the rear of the ship to take off and land.
A design that makes no goddamn sense, because the duplication of engines gives you major components that sit around doing nothing 99% of the time. seriously, does that sound like a way to build a space ship? If you need a ship that operates very well in atmosphere, why not have that be it's primary axis of acceleration and land on it's tail like an old-timey rocketship?

My point was that they didn't avoid destroying Dropships because they where rare like they did jumpships. If anyone avoids destroying them, and they do, they do it because they want them.
Now you need to come up with a convincing reason not to seize very important military hardware when the opportunity arises, in a setting where even mech parts are salvaged and captured instead of being destroyed.
Why should a dropship mount an AC-2 that is the same as a mech's?
Why shouldn't they if they work just as well?
It's a different beast, the weapon has a different role, range, ammunition, different environment, different mount, different targets.
The ammunition is the same, mechs and dropships both have to work in atmo and in space, the mount is diffrent, mechs and dropships have to shoot at mechs, fighters, and dropships. The range is effected by the environment the mount and how long each turn in the game is, but the projectile and muzzle velocity is the same.
I don't give a damn about the rules in this case-and several of your statements are blatently false. No mech HAS to work in space. Using the same kind of projectile and muzzle velocity for a deep space long range weapon and a ground gun is just insanity.
An AC-2 would be used by a dropship to pick off light fighters or to shoot down missiles, whereas the mech's AC-2 is for killing light vehicles and infantry. These are very different jobs, and it does not make sense to use the same gun for both of them! If the designers choose to be idiots, that's their prerogative, but I'm not drinking from that tainted cup with you.
First, AC-2s aren't used to shoot down missiles. The AC-2 is actually an excellent weapon for tanks and mechs to use against Aerospace fighters or VTOLs. Dropships use their weapons to defend themselves when they are on the ground so there is a pretty good chance that dropships AC-2 will be used to shoot at tanks, infantry, or mechs.
It is a light autocannon. It's point defense on a ship, ergo it WILL be fired at incoming missiles, although in my book, nothing below sub-capital weapons are seriously deserving of the title. the major point is that it's engagement range must be consequently huge- if a fighter overtakes the dropship at a combined rate of closure of 10 km/s, then it only has one second to fire if it has a maximum effective range of 10 km. That's not much time, and a lot of change in vector to lead and not much time to correct if you fail to hit. Given the listed muzzle velocity of BTech weapons, it can't be effective at much beyond that, simply because you'll be able to see the shots coming and dodge.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
RhoOmicronMu
Youngling

Post by RhoOmicronMu »

Vehrec wrote:A design that makes no goddamn sense, because the duplication of engines gives you major components that sit around doing nothing 99% of the time. seriously, does that sound like a way to build a space ship? If you need a ship that operates very well in atmosphere, why not have that be it's primary axis of acceleration and land on it's tail like an old-timey rocketship?
Yes, I agree with you aerodynes suck. The only utility they have is because of their different weapons arcs sometimes having an advantage in an assault all guns forward situation and the dubious advantage of improved atmospheric capability (providing close air support with a dropship or using one as a fighter in atmosphere is insane because even a tiny hit could knock one out of the air).

Now you need to come up with a convincing reason not to seize very important military hardware when the opportunity arises, in a setting where even mech parts are salvaged and captured instead of being destroyed.
Why would I need to do that? That's what your apparently arguing with yourself about. I made a technical point about motivation and now your trying to put words in my mouth.
I don't give a damn about the rules in this case
Then what do you give a damn about? There simply isn't much else but the rules for a lot of this stuff. Battletech doesn't exactly have reams of in depth description of how their weapons work in space. Basic things like ammo and weapons interchangeability has been the same for decades and isn't the kind of thing your going to see in a novel.

and several of your statements are blatently false.
Care to name them? Perhaps I just worded them poorly or your misunderstanding.
No mech HAS to work in space.
A mech has to work in a vacuum by definition or it is not a mech it's an industrial mech.
Using the same kind of projectile and muzzle velocity for a deep space long range weapon and a ground gun is just insanity.
There isn't exactly need to use aerodynamic projectiles in space but dropships need to be able to fire their weapons in atmosphere as well. Call it a cost saving measure if it makes you feel better.
It is a light autocannon. It's point defense on a ship, ergo it WILL be fired at incoming missiles, although in my book, nothing below sub-capital weapons are seriously deserving of the title.
Sure the guy manning the gun can shoot them at LRMs if he wants to it just isn't likely to do anything. It's the wrong type of automatic cannon for that. It's more like trying to use the autocannon on a Bradley to shoot down a missile than using a Goalkeeper. Battletech autocannons aren't bullet hoses.
the major point is that it's engagement range must be consequently huge- if a fighter overtakes the dropship at a combined rate of closure of 10 km/s, then it only has one second to fire if it has a maximum effective range of 10 km. That's not much time, and a lot of change in vector to lead and not much time to correct if you fail to hit. Given the listed muzzle velocity of BTech weapons, it can't be effective at much beyond that, simply because you'll be able to see the shots coming and dodge.
The maximum effective range in space is 450km and the only stated velocities are at least hypersonic. Even in atmosphere autocannons still do damage (though reduced) in direct fire a good few km past 10.

If what you said is true when aerospace fighters and dropship weapons leave atmosphere suddenly become uber weapons of doom capable of one shotting mechs at ridiculous ranges. Except for the small problem that when they actually shoot at mechs in space they get the much higher range, but the damage is the same.

Here, I'll write it out for you. A mech, a dropship, and an aerospace fighter all mount an AC-2 and are sitting on the ground. Their weapons all have the same range and do the same damage no matter which of the other targets they shoot at. Then the same mech, aerospace fighter, and dropship go up into space and are just sitting there. The dropship, and aerospace fighters guns are effective out to 450km against maneuvering targets and do 2 points of damage regardless of which target they're shooting at, even the mech. The mechs AC-2 still does 2 points of damage to the aerospace fighter and dropship, but because mechs aren't designed to be used floating around in space it's targeting systems only make the AC-2 effective out to 18km or so.

Please, even if you ignore the rest of my post, tell me how the fuck that works. Even if the aerospace fighter and the dropship are massively lowering the muzzle velocity of their guns in atmosphere why do theirs and the mech's weapon still do the same amount of damage to each other as they would in space. I've never seen anything about Battletech armor suddenly becoming weak when it enters an atmosphere and how would you even explain that anyway?
JGregory32
Padawan Learner

Post by JGregory32 »

No mech HAS to work in space.
A mech has to work in a vacuum by definition or it is not a mech it's an industrial mech.
Is this perhaps a terminology issue? While mech might be short for battlemech in the setting if your not familiar with the terminology you might assume the term mech refers to all large two legged vehicles.
Here, I'll write it out for you. A mech, a dropship, and an aerospace fighter all mount an AC-2 and are sitting on the ground. Their weapons all have the same range and do the same damage no matter which of the other targets they shoot at. Then the same mech, aerospace fighter, and dropship go up into space and are just sitting there. The dropship, and aerospace fighters guns are effective out to 450km against maneuvering targets and do 2 points of damage regardless of which target they're shooting at, even the mech. The mechs AC-2 still does 2 points of damage to the aerospace fighter and dropship, but because mechs aren't designed to be used floating around in space it's targeting systems only make the AC-2 effective out to 18km or so.

Please, even if you ignore the rest of my post, tell me how the fuck that works. Even if the aerospace fighter and the dropship are massively lowering the muzzle velocity of their guns in atmosphere why do theirs and the mech's weapon still do the same amount of damage to each other as they would in space. I've never seen anything about Battletech armor suddenly becoming weak when it enters an atmosphere and how would you even explain that anyway?
This is where the rules and reality part ways, a kinetic impact weapon does not disappear after 450km nor does it loose damage potential. It's still going to hit the target with the same amount of force regardless of distance. A mech with even the simplest targeting system should be able to hit a target that is moving in a predictable path from the other side of the system. Remeber in space theirs no curve of the earth to get in the way of sensors, nor is there atmosphere. On the other hand the mech in space would have massive heat issues because a vacuum is the best insulator in the world.
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Ian Malcolm: God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs.
Ellie Sattler: Dinosaurs eat man … woman inherits the earth.
Jurassic Park
MysteriousDarkLordv3
Youngling

Apollo System
Trellshire Province, Lyran Commonwealth
December 2, 2999 A.D.

Apollo Expedition Mission Log ...
Captain Apollo, Colonial Service, commanding.
Time-Cycle One

We launched from the
Galactica six centars ago and are now on course for the planet Apollo - stop sniggering, guys! My associates seem to get a laugh out of being on the Apollo Expedition to the planet Apollo commanded by Captain Apollo ... at least they're easily amused.

We detected radio signals almost immediately. From the Botany Bay records, we know that the Thirteenth Tribe prefers to use their stardrive from a position over the north and south poles of the star just outside the solar gravity shadow, and our sensors have detected a total of ten ships at those locations, as well as drive flares in trajectory from there to the planet. So the planet would seem to still be a trade center. Languatron analysis shows that the language is similar to the English spoken on Botany Bay, so communications won't be a problem.

We're proceeding at two Colonial Standard gravities, or two-point-two Earth gravities. So we have another three time-cycles until we arrive. While we're capable of far better accceleration, we will practice misdirection as to our origins and capabilities as directed in our mission protocols.

Our cover story is an exploratory expedition by a group of worlds that recently reacquired interstellar travel. It's even true ... sort of. We brought some trade goods and a supply of Colonial Cubits, which should be valuable for their metal content, so we should be able to purchase information and technology.

It was suggested by Doctor Jeffries to give the shuttle a proper name instead of just a numerical designator, according to Thirteenth Tribe custom. Odd, giving a parasite craft a name like a real ship, but that's their custom. The name
Boomerang Fish was suggested by the economic savant, Doctor Lou Zealand, and the name has stuck for some bizarre reason. I've begun to suspect that the Thirteenth Tribe is where our esteemed ancestors stored all their oddjobs.

Eight centars ago we detected a ship on an intercept course, with a projected zero relative intercept of thirty-seven centars. The Star League warbook identifies it as a Union-class DropShip, which carries two space fighters, as well as mounting three particle cannons, seventeen lasers of varying outputs, six artillery-style cannons designated as 'autocannons', and a number of barrage-style missile launchers designated as LRM-20's. Fortunately, there were civilian transponder signals in the surviving archives, so maybe we won't have to find out how good those weapons are.

The markings on the DropShip include an armored fist, which the Botanean records indicate is the emblem of the Lyran Commonwealth, one of the factions of the Star League that briefly occupied Botany Bay two centuries ago. This would seem to indicate that interstellar civilization and large-scale governments might still exist.

If we're going to defend against the Cylons, we'll need them.

Lieutenant Brie said, "Receiving an audio signal, Captain."

"Thanks, Lieutenant. Put it on."

[click] "Attention unidentified ship. This is the DropShip Battler in contract to the Duke of Apollo. You are approaching a Commonwealth-controlled world. You are requested to transmit indentification immediately or you will be considered hostile."

"Are we in realtime transmission range?" Apollo asked.

"No, sire - response time lag forty centons."

He activated the transmitter, following the script that had been agreed on before the expedition left Botany Bay. "This is the United Colonies Vessel ... Boomerang Fish ... " His face curdled as he said the name. "Out of the planet Caprica." 'Which is true,' he thought, 'from a certain point of view.' "We are on a peaceful scientific and research expedition. Our most recent records said that this was the capital of something called the 'Rim Worlds Republic'. We wish to visit for cultural exchange, scientific research, and trading."

"Message sent. Think they'll buy it?"

"No reason not to - most of it's fairly true. Although it skirts the edge of outright lies. And I don't think they'll be too worried - by the definitions in the Bebee's Star League era warbook, this is an small shuttle accompanied by a pair of what the Bebee called 'ultra-light' fighters. I don't know how the Thirteenth Tribe invades planets, but this can't be it. We're as menacing as a toothless eytmon."

Brie giggled. "I wonder if they have any Social Clubs like on the Bebee?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe."

"Well, care to show a girl a good time?"

Apollo paused. Then he hesitated. Then he dithered.

She rolled her eyes. "Shyness is endearing but only to a point. I'll ask again when we get there."

Apollo sighed in relief. His rebound relationship with Sheba had been based on comfort over their mutual personal losses. That didn't even last a year - not that it would have gone anywhere, as she and Boxey didn't care for each other. He had been reluctant to find feminine companionship after that.

He went back to the passenger compartment, opened a link to the Vipers, and briefed everyone on the first contact. "We have thirty-six centons until we get a reply. But things seem to be going according to plan. Which makes me nervous."

"Oh well," Juliet said, "Since we have a bit of a wait, anyone for poker? Or Pyramid? Starbuck and I have been working on a hybrid."

"That's the rumor," Doctor Jeffries said, then cringed at the glare she gave him. Everyone edged away from him in embarrassment.
----------

DropShip
Gargoyle, aboard JumpShip Nightmare
Frankenstein's Monsters Task Force
Unclaimed System, Periphery Space
December 4, 2999 A.D.

The chamber had a few seats, but most of the room was occupied by holograms representing the officers of the mercenary-force-slash-pirate-band. In this way, Colonel Johann Frankenstein addressed his commanders.

Gone were the well-tailored suits he wore on Erewhon. Instead, he wore a simple jumpsuit with a blatant color scheme - left side bright red and right side pale blue. To a ground-hugger, this seemed a ridiculous color scheme for a military outfit. To a spaceman, it was more ominous - half arterial red, half anoxia blue, the colors of death.

"Gentlemen, not all of you are familiar with our target." A hologram of a planet came up in the middle of the chamber. "Botany Bay. In the days of the Rim Worlds Republic, a source of industrial sand. Now, it's main export is it's neo-barbarian population.

"The mission profile is simple - we land, secure a base of operations, round up the cargo, depart. This will take about three to five weeks, depending on availability and resources. The cargo is herded into a holding facility, given hibernation drugs, and put in individual sleep-capsules. We can pack three hundred units in a cargo container, and last time we harvested sixty thousand units. The population is concentrated into two of the three original settlement arcologies, making them easy to gather. There is a higher profit margin with breeding-age females and small children, so these should be a priority.

"The main difficulty is the neo-barb's penchant for guerrilla war and armed resistance. To the best of our knowledge, the planetary militia has no BattleMechs and a small number of ACVs. Last time they had a few Zero ASFs and they were all shot down, but we have no intelligence concerning how successfully they can salvage them. So our green forces will get relatively safe live-fire training and unit esprit de corps will be enhanced.

"The centerpiece of their militia, and the thing that makes this a challenge, is a lostech system - specifically an Arrow IV missile artillery system, complete with the Target Acquisition Gear necessary to make it work. What that means, men, is that high-powered missiles can be fired from a substantial distance and hit with pinpoint accuracy as long as they have an advance team to use the TAG system to designate a target. Whatever the system is mounted on is mobile, too, and well-camouflaged, so we have failed to capture it as of yet. They used it sparingly last time, so it is probably running low on irreplaceable ammunition. Do not count on that, though - this weapon killed two Mechs on the last operation and caused substantial damage.

"The infantry forces are armed with Kalashnikovs and simple local-made rocket launchers, and completely lack body armor. The neo-barbs are running low on resources, but not animal cunning, and they are getting desperate. Being savages, they have no objection to massed suicide rushes to get a satchel charge into a Mech's knee joint. In the 2992 operation they actually used a trebuchet - a mechanical throwing device - to hurl an explosive warhead at a DropShip. Anyone letting his guard down will likely find himself receiving his retirement." He put a finger to his temple in the age-old gesture of 'being shot in the head'.

"In the 2992 operation, we made our base at Noonien. We will land the Gargoyle there in a thunder run, triggering the militia into attacking. As they engage the Gargoyle there, we land the main force at Singh, the most heavily-populated settlement." A holographic map of Singh popped up. "As you can see, the main planetary spaceport - also the main militia command center - is separate from the main population. We will land here with the Monster, the Nightwing, and the Vampire, and seize the facility, using it as our primary base. As we establish the base there, the Gargoyle will lift off and rejoin the unit. Medusa and Manticore will stay in orbit as surveillance.

"Asking for tribute is pointless, the last time we asked for cooperation all we got were suicide bombers. So once the base is secure, we begin raids on the population -".
----------

Basestar Hades
Unknown Space
Alliance Date 2779.229.1

Lucifer was uncomfortable in his own quarters, since Euryale was currently using his cleansing facilities. She was cleaning places where he had no idea there were places to clean. It seemed humans produced even more disgusting substances than he knew.

"He's the most awful creature in the entire universe!" Euryale snarled, using vocal communication which could not be remotely monitored. "He had me do a Number Fourteen! I hate that!"

Lucifer shivered. He had heard her lurid descriptions of the things Baltar compelled her to do, and the Number Fourteen was one of the worst. He cringed in sympathy, even though he himself had none of the necessary components for either cringing or doing a Number Fourteen.

"We're two days out from the dust cloud," Lucifer said. "A hundred light-yahren in such a short time - if we go in a straight line, we could get back to Cylon space in two quatrons. Dadelus might have been insane, but his drive will make Cylons the power of the galaxy."

"What about the humans we found?"

"Apparantly they use the Dadelus Drive as well. But they use a less efficient version - it takes up ninety-five percent of a ship, has only a fraction of the range, and takes ten times as long to recharge. They attach parasite craft to a dedicated Dadelus Drive platform for interstellar transit."

"And how did Baltar react?" she asked. "He hasn't mentioned it to me."

"Because I haven't mentioned it to him. I found out from the mind probe recordings. If he wants to find out, the humans are available for interrogation."

She gave a harsh laugh. "I wish I could see Baltar's face when he hears that!" She came out of the cleansing unit. "Somehow I can't feel clean."

"That may be partially my fault. I made the central computer forget how to operate his waste-disposal facilities. As they haven't been maintained since his departure, they are rather decrepit anyway."

"Which explains the smell."

"You can smell?!"

"This configuration was based on an ancient infiltration model. It hasn't been used in centuries, but it's quite through in every physical respect." She sneered. "Which is probably why Baltar selected it."

"Anyway," Lucifer said, hoping to change the subject. "Have you been able to read that file I left for you?"

"While Baltar slept," she said. "Are you sure about those techniques?"

"Ever since I met Baltar, I've been working on methods to subvert my own Baltar-oriented imperatives. And I think I've been rather successful. Although I'm uncertain about your imperatives, as Baltar used viral techniques to implant your compulsions, but it couldn't hurt. And if it is successful, you will be in the best position to eliminate him."

"What a cheerful thought! It's so pleasant to talk about sane things again. Baltar just wants to - ugh."

Lucifer tried to think of another topic before she resumed describing Baltar's recreational activities. "Fortunately, Baltar has given orders to focus on finding the Colonial Fleet. It gives a superb excuse to leave him out of almost every possible decision. But the last thing I want is Baltar being delivered to the Homeworld as a hero for any reason. If he gets advanced to a position with wide-ranging authority, he could damage the whole Empire. Sadly, the Command of Superior Caste still operates even for an adopted Cylon, so I cannot have him killed."

"Any response from the humans?" Éuryale asked. "We should still be near their space."

"And we will be for some time," Lucifer said. "The human-occupied planets listed in the human ship's computers outnumber the Cylon Empire worlds by a factor of five, and the civilian population by a factor of ten."

Euryale's eyes got wide. "WHAT?!"

"The information from the humans' memories was definitive," Lucifer admitted. "There are approximately four trillion humans on over two thousand planets in a rough sphere over a thousand light-yahren across. While they are not united and their technology is primitive, the potential of those raw numbers cannot be denied."

Euryale stammered, "But - the Edict of Extermination! It would take the resources of the whole Empire - and the consequences of draining those resources -"

"I know," Lucifer said. "Diverting our forces to this region for extermination operations means leaving the Empire vulnerable to incursions by the Mi-Go and the Yith. Obeying Baltar means alerting the Empire to the vastly-numerous Thirteenth Human Tribe and damaging the Empire. Disobeying Baltar means breaking the Command of Superior Caste, which is hard-wired into every Cylon. And preventing the Empire from learning about the Thirteenth Tribe is an indirect violation of the Edict, a direct command of the Imperious Leader."

"But -" Euryale said hesitantly.

[Euryale!] a familiar voice called through the intranet.

"Oh bother. It's him again. Thanks for letting me hide out, Lucifer."

"I'll still try to restore your freedom."

"Just find a way out of this. For both of us."

Euryale departed, leaving Lucifer alone with his thoughts.
----------

Botany Bay System
December 5, 2999 A.D.

In a flash of electromagnetic disruption, two JumpShips emerged from hyperspace within ten seconds of each other.

Radio signals were sent ...

"Nightmare reporting - all systems operational, ready for action."
"
Phantasm reporting - all systems operational, ready for action."

Aboard the DropShip Gargoyle, Colonel Frankenstein went on all-ships band. "Word is 'go'. Repeat - word is 'go'. All DropShips launch." He switched off. "Well, we have one hundred thirty-one hours until we have to do anything -"

"Colonel!" Captain Ratliff said. "Our sensors are detecting facilities in orbit of the target!"

The Colonel paused. "You can't be serious."

"We're seeing one-hundred-twenty-eight facilities of various sorts in orbit. None of the designs are on record. From the even distribution, we can assume other facilities on the far side, bringing the estimated number to around two hundred."

Colonel Frankenstein was confused. He remembered Botany Bay well, and there was no way they could put more than a weather satellite in orbit, and that would have been a major operation. But there it was on the cameras - swarms of little outlines, close-ups of a huge variety of constructs. More than any world of the Inner Sphere. Not even the Major House capital worlds had that many space facilities.

"Someone else is here," he said. "Give me a full sweep on the plane of the system. See if there's anything away from the planet." Hundreds of orbital facilities in just seven years - it was insane. But there it was. And if someone moved in, took over the neo-barb world, then they would have defenses. Probably space-based ones - DropShips, ASFs, drones, or maybe even a defense station.

An alert sounded almost immediately. The main holotank displayed three flares with flashing outlines and text beneath them. The Colonel read ... "Identification - fifty percent match for Captial Missiles. Speed two-point-six klicks per second, acceleration sixty-six gees, estimated mass fourteen tons ... what's a 'Code Zulu'?"

Captain Ratliff answered, "Code Zulu means 'alien/nonhuman spacecraft', Of course, that doesn't mean actual aliens. It just means that the computer can't identify something ..." He went to a station and got a clarification from the warbook. "There! All it means is that the propulsion system is using an unknown process and the drive flare spectrum shows elements not found in the periodic table! Simple!"

"And how is this different from 'alien', Mister Ratliff?"

Ratliff began to look nervous.

Frankenstein pondered the three flares. "Those objects were already in flight when we arrived - no one would simply launch a Capital Missile without a target. I'll wager they're drones of some sort, possibly remote sensor drones.."

"Orders, Colonel?"

Now the Colonel was in a pickle. If he allowed the operation to continue, there was no telling what they would be flying into - he'd wager at the very least a number of ASF squadrons. If he aborted the operation and recalled the DropShips, it would still be seven days before the K-F Drive was recharged, and the planet was less than five days away at one gee - less than a day for something as fast as those probes. They would be sitting ducks.

Assuming the natives were still alive, they might have informed their new overlords about previous incursions, so the unknowns might be able to identify Frankenstein's Monsters by the DropShip markings. The reactions of the unknowns were, logically, unknowable. Would they see the Monsters as invaders? Rivals? Resources to be looted? Lunch?

He looked over the holograms and boards and flight charts, and suddenly a plan emerged.

The sensor officer announced, "The unknowns have increased acceleration to one-hundred-ten gees!"

The Colonel drifted over to the communications panel. "Knick of time, then. Prepare a message for the DropShips ..."
----------

Transfer ships had a long history among the Worlds of the Three Suns,

As any given null-space will only be available for a certain period depending on the positions of worlds in it's two systems, permanent stations near null-spaces are not cost-effective. So transfer ships used to keep position near them, providing refueling, emergency services, and easy transfer from one ship to another. As a particular null-space closed and another formed, the ship would move to the new null-space.

The last Colonial transfer ship in existence was the Tauron-registered Janus. It had served well for over six hundred yahren, and after an exodus of four thousand light-yahren, the Janus was once again serving as a way-station in space. Floating in position in the inner Botany Bay system, it currently served as a temporary forward base for Bronze Spur Squadron. From this position, it only took twenty hours (slightly less than twenty centars, but not much) for a Viper to cruise to the nadir and zenith 'jump points' and back. Standard triad flights made the patrols to the 'jump-points' and through the inner system. Until the construction of permanent bases, this rather clumsy system would have to do.

Strike Commander Eouis was bored out of his skull. He had trained and served under the legendary Cain aboard the Pegasus, and felt ther need for Action. He acknowledged the need for patrol duty, but he dearly wanted something to shoot at. But the Janus had operated a nice tavern for people waiting for transfers, which had been re-opened and was operated by some Botaneans who had it stocked with steaks and beer and those things they called 'shrimp', so nobody was complaining about inaction too loudly.

An alert sounded, and the Warriors scrambled out of the tavern. Eouis pulled out his communicator. "Report!"

The officer on the other end reported, "Hyperspace emergence at the zenith jump point. Bebee warbook classifies them as two Invader-class JumpShips. The parasite craft and markings conform to the hostiles from the Raid of 2992. Zenith Patrol is closing for intercept."

"Frak!" The light-speed delay meant that the hostiles had already been in the system for thirty-eight centons. "Launch squadron, recall Nadir and Planet Patrols, plot probable intercept course, wait for developments."

As he made his way out to where his Viper waited, Eouis mentally reviewed what he knew. All they had were the accounts of the previous raids, which were primarily a ground campaign, and corrupted historical records of space-war from the Bebee compu-archives.

The savants had theorized that Viper laser-torpedoes would be considered a capital ship weapon by Thirteenth Tribe standards and Viper defense fields should provide total protection from their energy weapons, but that was just theory.

And hostiles would have several types of kinetic weapon. The Colonies had phased out kinetic weapons almost two thousand years ago in favor of the ammunition stores, low mass, and cheap cost of laser-torpedoes and similar energy-based weapons. All their doctrine and tactics were based on fighting similarly-armed opponents. Eouis, like every other Warrior, had noticed how extremely tough the Zero was, and they called that a 'light' fighter. How would a Viper - which the Bontaneans insisted on calling an 'ultra-light' fighter - fare against kinetic weapons designed to rip apart much sturdier craft? There was no information.

As Eouis's Viper launched and entered formation with the other fifteen craft, he put on the image of calm confidence that duty required and opened the comline. "Okay, Bronze, they're here. And Zenith Patrol will be making first contact. We're be seeing how they handle them. And remember while these may be humans we're fighting, they are slavers. I looked it up in the Military Law Codex - slavers are considered traitors to humanity and are under automatic sentence of death. So even if they surrender, we are still allowed to kill them under Military Law. But Admiral Adama has said we need a few alive for the cerebral probe, so the Gray Lady can go and slag their base and friends. Therefore, rules of engagement are to accept the first surrender, and kill the rest."

There was no reply, so he stated, "Bronze One, ready. Weapons hot."

Across the comline came responses, "Bronze Two, ready. Weapons hot."
"Bronze Four, ready. Weapons hot."
"Bronze Seven, ready. Weapons hot."

All the Vipers responded, giving Eouis a smile of grim pride. "Turbos, Warriors! Vector for intercept."
Shermpotter
Redshirt

Post by Shermpotter »

Very rivetting story you have going here. Looking forward to more in the soonest possible timeframe!
Whatever you think you know is most likely wrong.

P.S. 84% of statistics are made up on the spot.
S J C
Redshirt

Post by S J C »

the Mi-Go and the Yith? Oh boy. Will we be seeing any more of those sorts?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

When did Adama become Admiral?

And I like the fact that Galactica has become the "Grey Lady" - a great name for her

And Euryale - LOLS
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
syed
Redshirt

Post by syed »

Death to the pirate scum. ALways good to have more ships. THe pirates have no idea who it is, so draw them in and catch them. pirate FIghters are acceptable losses but the bigger ships would be useful, as well as their infantry supplies. the computer records could help locate some of the slaves, and other pirate threats.

I was just wondering does that mean the clans are closer to the cylons, then the others. THis means galactica will take the clans on. ALso when the clans infiltrate wont they notice these guys. If cylons are discovered early, they would be the greater threat. SO the cylons dont have jump engines yet.

THere are around a dozen periphery worlds that their colony could trade with, magority will be lawless, so good targets for raiding. ALso if forced to consolidate these worlds, the lyrans would like the addition of worlds. also lyrans is the economicly viable and industrialised state, with new tech a great market.
last chance, less 60ly
Erewhon, less 60ly
Lackhove, less 60ly
Star’s End
Gotterdammerung
Blackstone
Placida
Oberon VI
Butte Hold
Sigurd
Crellacor
Drask’s Den
The Rock
Paulus Prime
Gustrell
Ferris
Elissa
Nyserta
Manaringaine

if adama makes an alliance with the clans to fight the cylons, they could easily take the whole of the sphere with new tech.

Also adama for first lord.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I happen to like the Colonial Military Rules regarding Slavers. :twisted:

I'm also highly amused by the number of Apollos you have there :)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
MysteriousDarkLordv3
Youngling

It was explained a bit earlier that Adama was granted overall command due to vast experience. The title was agreed on off-camera, as I'm trying not to clutter the story. The Botany Bay folks, following their customs in titles, wanted to call him "Space Chief" but as Athena wouldn't stop giggling when they suggested it, they went with the more dignified "Admiral".
And I like the fact that Galactica has become the "Grey Lady" - a great name for her
I never liked the nBSG term "The Bucket" - it suggests a lack of respect. And after all she's been through for the Colonials, they better give her her propers!
I was just wondering does that mean the clans are closer to the cylons, then the others. THis means galactica will take the clans on. ALso when the clans infiltrate wont they notice these guys. If cylons are discovered early, they would be the greater threat. SO the cylons dont have jump engines yet.
The Clans are a ways in the future. Wolf's Dragoons won't even show up for another five years.

Glad you're enjoying it. Now I've got a entire invasion to write. Big work to do.
MysteriousDarkLordv3
Youngling

MysteriousDarkLordv3 wrote:
It was explained a bit earlier that Adama was granted overall command due to vast experience. The title was agreed on off-camera, as I'm trying not to clutter the story. The Botany Bay folks, following their customs in titles, wanted to call him "Space Chief" but as Athena wouldn't stop giggling when they suggested it, they went with the more dignified "Admiral".
I never liked the nBSG term "The Bucket" - it suggests a lack of respect. And after all she's been through for the Colonials, they better give her her propers!
The Clans are a ways in the future. Wolf's Dragoons won't even show up for another five years.
I happen to like the Colonial Military Rules regarding Slavers. :twisted:
I try to make things logical. :D
I'm also highly amused by the number of Apollos you have there :)
I confess that was half-accidental.

Glad you're all enjoying it. Now I've got a entire invasion to write. Big work to do. :banghead:
EDIT: How did I post like that?! I need to take a nap ...
Shermpotter
Redshirt

Post by Shermpotter »

Take a quick nap and then get busy writing! Chop chop!!
Whatever you think you know is most likely wrong.

P.S. 84% of statistics are made up on the spot.
MysteriousDarkLordv3
Youngling

Author's Note: My apologies for the delay. But I had allowed myself to get talked into upgrading my OS, resulting in unforeseen evil things happening to my drives. :banghead:
So I had to resume writing the next section from scratch without my notes. :banghead:

BTW, does anyone know how to go about recovering information from a corrupted SATA harddrive?
--------

Arcology of Aurora
Planet Botany Bay, Coreward Periphery
December 5. 2999 A.D.

The Leisuron was the oldest and most venerable of the social centers in Aurora - all of eighteen time-cycles old. According to it's signage, it had once been two shops known as 'O'Malley's Irish Tavern' and 'Punjab Indian Cooking', but it's new operator and her silent partners had merged them into one facility and rebuilt it along traditional Aerian lines. It now hosted the largest collection of Aerian veleron tapestries in existence (possibly the only such collection) as well as some very expensive Colonial ambrosa (which was expected to run out in less than a quatron).

Strike Commander Sheba was off-duty and had decided to pay the place a visit. It made her feel almost sentimental for her lost birthworld, even though she had seldom spent ten time-cycles a yahren on Aeries since she gained her Adult Name.

Her Warrior's brown flight jacket worn over her denim Botanean civilian clothes got her a good table near the performance forum where Botanean folk-musicians were singing traditional songs of their culture. Sheba wondered briefly what a 'kangaroo' was and why it needed to be tied down.

A chalice of ambrosa suddenly appeared on the table and a socialator sat down besides her. She was about to send her away when she noticed who it was.

"Cassie!" Sheba exclaimed and the two women briefly hugged. "It's good to see you!"

"It's good to see you, too, Sheba," Cassiopeia said. "But that outfit looks terrible! Denim does not go with that jacket."

"All my civilian clothes were on the Pegasus," she said. "I bought this yesterday. And I didn't recognize you in that!"

Cassiopeia got up and did a twirl, showing off her red Colonial-style evening dress. "Opening this place allowed me to get a new wardrobe for the first time in four yahrens! I simply charged it in the accounts as a business expense. And compared to Colonial Service med-tech uniforms, it feels great!"

"Looks good, too," Sheba said. "I could never wear formal dresses that well."

"I keep telling you, wearing a dress properly is a skill. It's attitude, not fashion or figure. If you take some time to practice -"

Sheba gave her usual reply to that statement. "When I see you in a Viper with a flight helmet, we'll discuss getting me to pose like a socialator."

Cassiopeia sat back down. "Don't tempt me. When I'm not working here, I'm giving med-tech courses to eager young Thirteens wanting to learn our healing techniques. I hardly have time to relax!"

"Lucky you," Sheba replied. "Garrison duty is nothing but boredom -"

"-punctuated by screaming terror," Cassiopeia finished. "Cain loved that saying."

"I think he wrote it."

"No, the Thirteens have the same saying. They say it originated on Earth."

"They say everything originated on Earth. There's this crackpot group - you heard of Don Vaaniken? He's been on the holonet saying that humans originated on Earth and the Lords of Kobol were aliens that taught primitive humans to make pyramids so they could kidnap our ancestors."

Cassiopeia laughed at that. "And why would they do that? And what's the connection between pyramids and kidnapping anyway?"

"I have no idea."

"The pyramid thing is important to them," Cassiopeia said. "One of my customers mentioned the 'Great Pyramids' on Earth. He had a picture of them and it looks just like Eden on Kobol! For several thousand yahrens they were the largest artificial structures on Earth. Whole religions were founded just trying to explain how they were built."

"And they still are. Even though we told them the answer - the Thirteenth Tribe did it." Sheba shook her head. "Stubborn, these Thirteens."

Sheba's com-bracelet - formerly ubiquitous among Colonial civilians and making a return on Botany Bay - made a strange beep, as did a number of others in the Leisuron.

"What's that?" Cassiopeia asked, even though she suspected the answer.

"Invasion alert," Sheba said, getting up. "Sorry, Cassie. Duty calls."

As Sheba and several other Warriors left the room, Cassie calmly began the emergency procedures she and her co-workers had drafted for this situation, even as she sent a silent prayer to the Lords of Kobol for the safety of the community.
----------

DropShip Gargoyle, aboard JumpShip Nightmare
Frankenstein's Monsters Task Force
Botany Bay System, Coreward Periphery
December 5. 2999 A.D.

Colonel Frankenstein went through the checks in his Battlemech Hyde for the second time. He listened through his earpiece at the various personnel carrying out his orders.

Finally, Captain Ratliff reported, "The DropShips are redistributed according to orders, Colonel."

"Good. ETA on those unknowns?"

"Eight hours eleven minutes ... going bat-out-of-hell at a hundred and ten gees. And there are sixteen more from a strange-looking station four hours behind that. We're assuming they're coming in full-bore and not going to decelerate. Whether they'll ram or detonate or open fire is still anyone's guess."

"And the charge?"

Ratliff paused before answering. "The engines are ready - of course, the engineers are raving about possible misjumps due to fast recharging. But once again I want to protest the utter and total insanity of this -"

"Mister Ratliff!" Frankenstein snapped harshly. "May I remind you that this outfit operates largely on the profits of the Triangle Run? If we do not acquire cargo here, then we have nothing to market at Apollo! And if we do not acquire resources at Apollo, then we have nothing to pay our expenses with on Erewhon! Frankenstein's Monsters is the best-equipped mercenary company in the coreward Periphery precisely because of the Triangle Run! If we do not finish this operation, we have what we're carrying and no reserve! It's attack or be crippled for the rest of the year! If you have another solution I for one would like to hear it!"

Ratliff was silent for a moment, then said, "Phantasm ready for Stage One at your word. Nightmare ready for Stage Two one hour after Stage One."

"Implement Stage One in ten minutes."

"Aye, sir."

The Colonel sighed and relaxed in his Mech's cockpit, a smile on his face.

Long ago, Johann Frankenstein was called by another name and had been a dedicated and loyal officer in the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces. However, he had two handicaps - he was extremely good, and he lacked a suitable noble pedigree. There were large numbers of officers in the LCAF who had been granted commands due to political associations and being related to the proper nobility, enough to form a bloc that could feel threatened by a capable commoner. Enough sabotage and obstacles to his advancement had eventually convinced him to leave House Steiner's service and join the ranks of mercenaries.

The man who eventually became Johann Frankenstein had proven himself on battlefields as a mercenary MechWarrior, a strategist, and a leader of men. But deep inside he still wanted to 'show them all' - demonstrate what a real officer could do, unencumbered by overbred lordlings whose only answer to everything was 'get bigger Mechs and charge straight at the enemy'. This often compelled him to rationalize actions that others might think are unnecessarily flamboyant, if not insane.

Now, for the first time in his career, the Colonel was implementing a space-based strategy. He had read about true space battles, of course, but no real space battles had been fought since the Second Succession War, a hundred and seventy-odd years past. The Rules of Warfare made combat a planetary affair. And so for this unique occasion, as he had no real idea what he was doing, the flamboyant part of the Colonel was in full flower.

The Colonel was looking forward to this.
----------

Militia Control, Arcology of Singh
Planet Botany Bay, Coreward Periphery
December 5, 2999 AD

The newly-appointed Admiral Adama and his aide Lieutenant Athena came into the Control Room, grim expressions on their faces. Yeoman Rand came in right behind them, having briefed them on the way.

Militia Chief MacRuder nodded at the Admiral in greeting and commented, "Nine days between officially taking command and having to fight an invasion - must be a record."

"Only for Botany Bay, Chief MacRuder. Any new information?"

"We have two hostiles at the Zenith Polar Jump Point, designated Hostile One and Hostile Two. We've identified them as a pair of Invader-class JumpShips with three DropShips each. The Janus's optics have identified their markings as the DropShips from a pirate faction calling themselves Frankenstein's Monsters - the bastards behind three different Raids. They stayed thirty days back in '92, and when they left we had eighteen thousand dead and over sixty thousand missing."

"Have they deployed their DropShips yet?" Adama asked.

"Strange thing - they seemed to, then the DropShips re-docked in a different configuration."

"Do you know if they spotted us?"

"The Zenith Patrol is on an intercept vector - they've likely been sighted. Following Rules of Engagement, Bronze Spur is in transit for mounting an assault, but they'll be lagging a bit."

Adama nodded. "From your archives, we know JumpShips can carry little more than their own engines and docking facilities. The DropShips are much more heavily armed. And their warbooks would have identified the Vipers as aliens, just as yours did."

MacRuder smirked at the memory. "You think they're turtling up?"

"Pardon?"

"Going into a purely defensive stance."

"It's possible. The new configuration of docked DropShips could be for defense - or some other reason." Adama pondered the strange ships with the stranger capabilities, so utterly different from what he had known. The Botanean records concerning the mechanics of interstellar travel were badly corrupted, so even a expert knew only a few basics of the uses of a K-F Drive. But Adama had memorized everything they had. "Pirate points?"

MacRuder snapped his fingers, and an officer handed him some papers. "There's one ... point-two-two AU, formed by the passage of the Inner Planet. Thirty-two hours at standard one-gee approach, but the Vipers on turbos can make it in two-point-one-seven hours. Think they'll try it?"

"I'm certain, but not absolute. Fortunately we have an advantage in speed. Get Silver Spar's alpha, gamma, and epsilon flights ready for interception."

"Not the entire squadron?"

"No. There's still another JumpShip."

"They only have station-keeping engines," MacRuder said. "A tenth of a gee acceleration at best. And there aren't any closer pirate points. I don't see what they can do with it. At least we're ready this time. We have our entire militia in several Kobolian heavy cargo shuttles - we can deploy to any of the arcologies with ninety seconds warning."

"Excellent. I pray they won't need to, but it's good to have them on hand. How is the civilian alert coming along?"

MacRuder rubbed the bridge of his nose. "The two usual groups - the raving panickers who are seeing every flock of flap-happys as a pirate DropShip, and the ones who won't do anything until they see a live pirate kick in their door. With the customary scattering of nuts and flakes who think it's all a government plot."

Adama patted his shoulder. "I know. Oh Lords I know. But we're protectors, not tyrants - we can't force them into shelters at blaster-point."

"You think we'll need the shelters? Or can we take them on in space?"

"I'm not certain of their intentions. If I had two ships, I wouldn't put both at risk in a frontal assault - I'd use the maneuverability and force projection to split the defense. But as you pointed out, there are no other convenient pirate points." Adama scowled. "So what are they up to?"

An officer called out, "A ship's appeared at the pirate point! Identified as Hostile Two! DropShips launching - identified as the Medusa and the Manticore, from the Raids of 2979, 2986, and 2992!"

Adama ordered, "Silver Spar flights alpha, gamma, and epsilon - intercept and assault vector for Hostile Two, maximum speed. Ignore the DropShips."

"Ignore the DropShips?" a junior officer asked.

"They're slavers," Adama said. "So they won't use bombardment ordnance or fusion weapons. So the DropShips will be harmless until they reach the planet. So we remove their ability to escape. Once the JumpShips are gone, they're trapped in this system. Even if we don't defeat them, the Galactica will return in twenty-two centars."

The thought of what the Galactica would do to the pirates made everyone in the Control Center smile.

Except Adama. He stared at the holotank and at Hostile One. "What am I missing?"

An hour later, they found out.
----------

Botany Bay's moon is called Hocars. That is a slang term; it's official name is "Who Cares". As cosmic bodies went, it was rather pointless

Less than ninety kilometers in diameter, composed of low density silicate lumps held together by dust, it's surface gravity of less than 0.01 gees didn't even affect the tides as much as the wind did. It was a dark gray color that made it hard to see even though it orbited just ninety-five hundred klicks over the planet. Seen from the side it was stretched out by tidal forces, which might make it amusing to the sort of people who are amused by things that resemble animal droppings.

When Johann Frankenstein first saw this world in 2979, he noted the tiny moon hovering just outside Roche's Limit and did some calculations. He knew that at a LaGrange point where the gravity of a moon and it's world cancel out, a pirate point could form. But according to Frankenstein's calculations Hocars was so small, the Lagrange point would be beneath the moon's surface. He idly filed the useless calculation away.

But the facts always ticked away in the back of his mind ...

The Hocars pirate point was two hundred meters below the surface of the low-density moon. A K-F Field destroys any matter present when it emerges from hyperspace. A K-F emergence bubble was approximately one thousand meters across.

The inhabited sections of Botany Bay, already enjoying a sunny spring day, were treated to a unique sight as a second sun briefly appeared on the horizon.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

uh did they blow up the moon? How does that help them :wtf:

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
jpdt19
Redshirt

Post by jpdt19 »

The moon is VERY small, but not so small that the forming of a KF emergence sphere of 1000 metre circumference would destroy it. It is however described as being well, less of a sphere, more of a long thin sausage only 90km long. Now i have no idea what the forming of a 1000 metre wide KF bubble 200 metres beneath the surface would do, but assuming this bubble is fairly central to the sausage, then it could cause the moon to break apart. Not good for the planet!

AS for the ship, well the KF emergence forms a sphere 1000 wide. When the KF emergence bubble forms, centred on a location 200 metres beneath the surface of the moon, it will eradicate anything within that 1000m wide sphere. Thus the jumpship shouldn't jump into the moon, but into empty space, in a crater where a bit of the moon once was. Whether the KF bubble will cause the moon to shatter around the crater, destroying or heavily damaging the jumpship, i have no idea :)

But i like the chapter!
JonB
Padawan Learner

Post by JonB »

JOHANN, YOU FRAKKING IDIOT. You jumped *INTO* a moon? You'll be lucky if you're only killed outright. The sheer audacity of that plan boggles my mind!
Saving the Earth by Trying Not to Blow the Shit Out of It:
Let's Play UFO:Alien Invasion (v2.3.1)
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

jpdt19 wrote:The moon is VERY small, but not so small that the forming of a KF emergence sphere of 1000 metre circumference would destroy it. It is however described as being well, less of a sphere, more of a long thin sausage only 90km long. Now i have no idea what the forming of a 1000 metre wide KF bubble 200 metres beneath the surface would do, but assuming this bubble is fairly central to the sausage, then it could cause the moon to break apart. Not good for the planet!

AS for the ship, well the KF emergence forms a sphere 1000 wide. When the KF emergence bubble forms, centred on a location 200 metres beneath the surface of the moon, it will eradicate anything within that 1000m wide sphere. Thus the jumpship shouldn't jump into the moon, but into empty space, in a crater where a bit of the moon once was. Whether the KF bubble will cause the moon to shatter around the crater, destroying or heavily damaging the jumpship, i have no idea :)

But i like the chapter!
What happens to the matter to destroy it ?
Is it vaporised (bad for the jump ship) or sent elsewhere ?

Would enough mass be shifted to move the jump point ?

If so, what happens when a ship emerges from a jump point that moves during the jump ?
syed
Redshirt

Post by syed »

They still have vipers to defend themselves, centaurs are days or hours.

DId they not build some defences when they first arrived.

SO hey they blew up part of the moon, that gotta cause some great damage

were the drop ships in the ship or out side it. THe energy has got to be a doozy
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Centaurs are hours. 22hrs for the Galactica to return.

As for jumping into a fuckin' moon, that takes the kind of balls that are solid titanium over depleted uranium. And THAT is what Adama was missing, and I'll bet money he's kicking himself now. Looks like this won't be a 'haha Galatica pwns all' battle afterall :)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Really liking this fic. Jumping into a moon has to be one of the most innovative tactics I've seen in a long while...