The OotS Thread II

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Re: The OotS Thread II

Post by Archaic` »

The question then is, encouraging him to go rule which continent? Perhaps he's thinking of grooming him as a successor of sorts? Failing that, given the dramatic setup he had earlier, looking at him as someone who could (together with his party) overthrow him and the other rulers and unite the continent. Either way, he gets his legacy.
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Blood, Sweat and Tears! HA!

Unfortunately, they way the empires are positoned, most of the other nations are on the other side of the desert.

I have to wonder if they need more people to work on the other, further away nations, to move towards unification.

Also, while the entire scheme make Tarquin look bad-ass (and that is bad-ass), is also has the finger prints of an epic level con-man/Illusionist all over it.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

The thing is they're not working on 'unification' in the sense that you're thinking. The empires are working toward the appearance of gradual, organic conquest. They don't want ideas of unification getting out before they're knocking on your door with 500 dragoons.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Behind the scences unification is still unification
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

The cat girl is probably a shifter, they are a lot more pronounced in 4e as one of the PH2 player races but they come from 3e Eberron originally.

EDIT: and of course now I want to know what classes they are.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Agent Sorchus wrote:The cat girl is probably a shifter, they are a lot more pronounced in 4e as one of the PH2 player races but they come from 3e Eberron originally.

EDIT: and of course now I want to know what classes they are.
Considering they never had a 'upgrade' to 4E (and only to 3.5), odds are she's a Catfolk.

As for classes, I'd say....
(From Left to Right)
Fighter (Possibly Barbarian), Cleric (duh), Rogue, Spellcaster or Monk, Wizard, and then totally Bad-ass Blackguard.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0759.html

Awesome stuff. I have no further worries about Tarquin's evillness.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Crazedwraith wrote:http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0759.html

Awesome stuff. I have no further worries about Tarquin's evillness.
Holy Fuck, that is both evil, and loving, at the same time!

Wow.

Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

I can't decide if I like Tarquin of Xykon better. Why is it the villains always seem to be the most interesting and compelling characters? Not that the OotS are bad, but they tend to pale in comparison.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Am I the only one who was holding out hope that the Obviouslly Evil Badguy might, just MIGHT have not been actually evil?

I mean I like it when things surprise you, and while we have had a wealth of "overly good person turns out to be evil" when did we last have an "obviouslly evil person turns out to be good" ?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Unless this is all Draketooth testing the group, I doubt Tarquin is good.

Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Oh Elan's dad is definatally evil.

But he is also very crazy and probably stupid too. Remember Redcloak talking about having to conquer a bunch of kingdoms to get to Girad's Gate? I bet you almost all of them are part of His little conglomerate.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

Crazy and stupid? That's the conclusion you've drawn? Have you missed like the last two strips where he's been basically explaining how much of an awesome mastermind he is? :lol: He might be crazy, but anyone drawing the conclusion that he's stupid hasn't been actually reading the strip at all.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:Crazy and stupid? That's the conclusion you've drawn? Have you missed like the last two strips where he's been basically explaining how much of an awesome mastermind he is? :lol: He might be crazy, but anyone drawing the conclusion that he's stupid hasn't been actually reading the strip at all.
Sneaky =/ smart

Getting his hands tied up in too many places can have very bad results. From what I could tell about him all he cared about was making sure his little fiefdom would keep itself his without other nations realizing what he is actually in control of. I'm thinking that at this point the only real reason no one's gone after the Empire of Blood is they don't want to mess with a red dragon.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Actually, look at the map of the 3 Empires carefully.

On one side is the Great Desert
On the other is the other empires on Tarquin + friends control.
There are 2 little baronies (probably 1 city each) next to the one Empire.

THat's it.

From a military stand-point, the 3 Empires are rather secure.

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Apparently V's calculations were off; there are thirty fires up on that mountain, not twenty three...
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Rogue 9 wrote:Apparently V's calculations were off; there are thirty fires up on that mountain, not twenty three...
That's certainly possible. Alternatively, they could of rounded up a few locals to finish the job.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

760 is out

Heh. I wonder if Elan went back due to actual anger or to fake out his Dad regarding the wizard's ability to teleport.

Also, that's some good Lawful Evil there. The goal doesn't matter, as long as the forms are obeyed.

"On a rooftop no less. Exquisite."

I am totally going to pattern my next LE guy after him...
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I have a feeling Elan is going to lose this battle rather badly. His father has years of experience behind him... and is probably not above calling in guards to handle his 'unruly son'.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

LadyTevar wrote:I have a feeling Elan is going to lose this battle rather badly. His father has years of experience behind him... and is probably not above calling in guards to handle his 'unruly son'.
I actually think one on one Elan could take it if he quips. He's gained a good number of levels. Just depends on if Giant decides Tarquin gets experience for his kingdom building or not. :)
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Look at Tarquin. He is so damn proud that Elan is doing the appropriate Tropes and cliches.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Ha! They really are father and son.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

How about saving the love interest's father before fighting the evil dictator, Elan?
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

LadyTevar wrote:I have a feeling Elan is going to lose this battle rather badly. His father has years of experience behind him... and is probably not above calling in guards to handle his 'unruly son'.
However, remember that this is an RPG universe, Tarquin's level is dependent on his sons level in the same way that Crystal will level up whenever Hayley does. It comes down to have big a nemesis the father is suposed to be to the Son. Unless Tarquin's a PC as he was part of another adventuring group, then all bets are off.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

AMT wrote:760 is out

Heh. I wonder if Elan went back due to actual anger or to fake out his Dad regarding the wizard's ability to teleport.
Well since V can't teleport. Unless s/he's soul spliced. So I'm going with the Former.