World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

World of Tanks

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Do you have an account for the World of Tanks closed Beta? Cause I have a PzII with a Flak38 I would like to shoot you with.

This goes for the rest of you lot as well, I just thought Sheppy-poo would enjoy shooting tanks the most.
Last edited by PeZook on 2011-05-10 01:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited thread title to better reflect the current state of the game
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Re: Hey Shep... (Tanks)

Post by MKSheppard »

I don't do MMOs.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

General Schatten wrote:Do you have an account for the World of Tanks closed Beta? Cause I have a PzII with a Flak38 I would like to shoot you with.

This goes for the rest of you lot as well, I just thought Sheppy-poo would enjoy shooting tanks the most.
I do. I'm in the Tankbusters clan, along with a large chunk of the game's moderators, one of whom I know IRL. :mrgreen: My handle is RenegadePaladin in the game. Right now I'm working my way up the Russian heavy tank tier, currently driving a KV, or my Churchill when I really need credits.

And Shep, I hardly even notice it's an MMO. There's no wandering around doing quests and bullshit like you see in most MMOs, you don't pay, and if someone takes time out of fighting to type insults at you, he's going to get killed. It's just an engine for semi-mass armor battles with other players. I think you'd like it.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Erg. I played in the Russian closed beta but I haven't played in the English beta in months. I guess I should get on sometime though. What kinds of updates have they made? Are the American tanks in yet?
(ps I am BakerEasy in game)
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Scottish Ninja wrote:Erg. I played in the Russian closed beta but I haven't played in the English beta in months. I guess I should get on sometime though. What kinds of updates have they made? Are the American tanks in yet?
(ps I am BakerEasy in game)
Patch 0.5.4.2 was released two days ago, actually. I've only been in the American beta for about a month, so I don't know what it was like when you were playing. No, American tanks aren't in yet, but there are plans to add them in about a month or so. (That's not official, but I have it from a game administrator who said the developers aren't announcing yet, but gave the OK to start rumormongering, whatever that means...)
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Holy shit! I just bought a new StPz I Bison and my gunner's name, Jaeger Kaiser. That's so cool.

Edit: Shep you don't know what you're missing, I just played a round with my StPz I and a T-26 ventured too close to where I was shelling their positions from, so I rammed into his side before he could turn his turret towards me and fired my 15cm point-blank into him.
Last edited by Ritterin Sophia on 2010-09-05 06:11am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

General Schatten wrote:Holy shit! I just bought a new StPzI Bison and my gunner's name, Jaeger Kaiser. That's so cool
What is a StPzI?

By logic it should mean Sturmpanzer I but there was no such thing AFAIK.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

It's what they call the Panzer I with the 15cm sIG 33. From my understanding it's not an official name, but a lot of people refer to it as StPz I Bison.

Anyhow in my garage I have a Leichtetraktor, a Pz35(t), a PzII Ausf F, a PzJgI, and my Bison.

Edit: Just noticed I had gold so I traded it in for cash and bought a StPzII (A lengthened PzII with a 15cm howitzer).
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

General Schatten wrote:It's what they call the Panzer I with the 15cm sIG 33. From my understanding it's not an official name, but a lot of people refer to it as StPz I Bison.
The official name would be 15 cm sIG 33 (Sf) auf Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf B. A popular abbreviation I have heard would be SIG I.
Anyhow in my garage I have a Leichtetraktor
That better be Leichter Traktor - and why do you need an artillery tow vehicle / ammo carrier?
, a Pz35(t), a PzII Ausf F, a PzJgI, and my Bison.

Edit: Just noticed I had gold so I traded it in for cash and bought a StPzII (A lengthened PzII with a 15cm howitzer).
Ah, the 15 cm sIG 33 auf Fahrgestell Panzerkampfwagen II (Sf).

But these are artillery pieces used for infantry support. They have far too high a profile for tank engagements.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Thanas wrote:That better be Leichter Traktor - and why do you need an artillery tow vehicle / ammo carrier?
They give it a Kwk 38 (which can be upgraded to Kwk 36 or a 20mm Breda later) to have a German counterpart to the Soviet starter tank the MS-2.
Ah, the 15 cm sIG 33 auf Fahrgestell Panzerkampfwagen II (Sf).

But these are artillery pieces used for infantry support. They have far too high a profile for tank engagements.
Because I can't afford a Wespe or a Hummel yet. They're useless against anything like a Panzer III, but a PzII or an MS-2 can be one shot if it doesn't keep moving erratically. I once shot a Tiger II with one, I don't think it did any damage.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Where are the American tanks? What if I want to do a SHERMAN SWARM?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

RogueIce wrote:Where are the American tanks? What if I want to do a SHERMAN SWARM?
They haven't included them yet. So far the closest you can get is the M3 Stuart the Soviets have.
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

General Schatten wrote:
Thanas wrote:That better be Leichter Traktor - and why do you need an artillery tow vehicle / ammo carrier?
They give it a Kwk 38 (which can be upgraded to Kwk 36 or a 20mm Breda later) to have a German counterpart to the Soviet starter tank the MS-2.
WTF is an MS-2? I don't think I have ever heard of a Soviet tank with that designation. Is it the same as the T-18M? (MS-1 was T-18.) Or perhaps the T-19, which was not produced in real life?
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

To my knowledge, there is no MS-2 in the game. I've got no idea what he's on about.

Here are the tech trees, incidentally.

Soviet: The tech tree in the current release, and the planned full tree at the final release.

German: Current release, planned final.

American: Planned initial beta tree, planned final tree. (Neither yet implemented.)
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

General Schatten wrote:Edit: Just noticed I had gold so I traded it in for cash and bought a StPzII (A lengthened PzII with a 15cm howitzer).
That's what they need in those commercials: Dollars For Gold would be much better if it was Tanks for Dollars for Gold.
XXXI
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
General Schatten wrote:
WTF is an MS-2? I don't think I have ever heard of a Soviet tank with that designation. Is it the same as the T-18M? (MS-1 was T-18.) Or perhaps the T-19, which was not produced in real life?
I meant the MS-1, I've been seeing BT-2 and got the two confused.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So will this game offer the historical accuracy and immersion of the Hearts of Iron series?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

RogueIce wrote:So will this game offer the historical accuracy and immersion of the Hearts of Iron series?
At least they clearly went overboard with experimental and in some cases paper-only tanks and other AFVs. I mean there are enough tanks in WW2 even if you include only the ones that were actually produced. This is of course assuming that they will include all the planned vehicles, although even the current Soviet tree includes prototype only vehicles.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
RogueIce wrote:So will this game offer the historical accuracy and immersion of the Hearts of Iron series?
At least they clearly went overboard with experimental and in some cases paper-only tanks and other AFVs. I mean there are enough tanks in WW2 even if you include only the ones that were actually produced. This is of course assuming that they will include all the planned vehicles, although even the current Soviet tree includes prototype only vehicles.
Something needs to fill out Tier 10. :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Just had a kickass round with my PzJg I. I went into a blown open house and had my gun pointing through a small opening into an open field in the direction the enemy was coming from. I took out an MS-1, a Pz.II, and a T-26. Then the enemy maneuvered close enough that I couldn't fire so I backed out and turned to face the side of the building he was coming from just in time to hit another T-26 in the side knocking him out and another Pz.II made the mistake of trying the same thing only to get one-shotted in it's side armor.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I currently have a KV-1 and an A-20, working my way up both branches of the Soviet tank tree. The KV's essentially meat for any heavier tank or high-tier medium to come along, because the former just blast it to death and its turret traverse is so slow that any self-respecting medium tank can run circles around the gun. x_x
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

So how do you get in? I signed up, but no response. Seems like a pretty cool game from the looks of it.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:So how do you get in? I signed up, but no response. Seems like a pretty cool game from the looks of it.
It took me a few days to get in, and that was with the help of knowing an admin. How long ago did you apply?

Edit: I'm told you should go to mmohut.com; they have 2,000 keys available. Also, their keys give you a free M3 Stuart. Wish I'd known that when I was signing up. :|
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Rogue 9 wrote:I currently have a KV-1 and an A-20, working my way up both branches of the Soviet tank tree. The KV's essentially meat for any heavier tank or high-tier medium to come along, because the former just blast it to death and its turret traverse is so slow that any self-respecting medium tank can run circles around the gun. x_x
Oh no, mister, you don't get to cry about your Tier 5 Heavy Tank. :P

I've got to go from Tier 3 to Tier 7 just to get to a heavy (Tiger I). You're low enough that you can drive past light tanks and ignore them entirely. I remember earlier today I was in my Pz.III Ausf A (Technically an Ausf C. since I upgraded everything on it) with the 5cm KwK 38 L/42 and AP rounds, I shot from every angle, I didn't expect to get a penetrating hit from the front but I thought it might throw off his aim, I though I might get lucky and get penetration on the side but nio dice, surely a direct hit at his rear armor will penetrate? Nope, deflected.

Can't wait until I get my Pz.III.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Yes, well now I have a KV-3 and I like it much better. :razz:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!