Fanfiction.net: the good bits

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Re: Fanfiction.net: the good bits

Post by SAMAS »

You made fanfics about Harry getting adopted by Evangeline McDowell and Mana Tatsumiya?

HOW? WHY? And for that matter, WHERE?
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Baughn
Padawan Learner

Post by Baughn »

I have to second Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

I have to.

I wouldn't normally do something like this, but the thought of anyone missing it is too terrifying. If you haven't already looked at it, do so. Preferably once you have an hour or two to spare, for you won't be able to look away.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Baughn wrote:I have to second Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

I have to.

I wouldn't normally do something like this, but the thought of anyone missing it is too terrifying. If you haven't already looked at it, do so. Preferably once you have an hour or two to spare, for you won't be able to look away.
Dear Lord, I can't agree more. I literally fell out of my chair laughing when I got to the bit referenced in the quote.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

In the spirit of awesome replacements:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4848597/1/P ... Pragmatism

Adama and Tigh are switched with McGonagall and Dumbuldore. It is short and probably won't be continued, it has Adama pull a Husker Hailmary as the headmaster of Hogwarts.
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

SAMAS wrote:You made fanfics about Harry getting adopted by Evangeline McDowell and Mana Tatsumiya?

HOW? WHY? And for that matter, WHERE?
How: with my PC and my dad's driving school laptop.
Why: Because I'm crazy and I love discussing with a couple crazy friends of mine (the things we can put together are quite crazy).
Where: here's the links.
Harry McDowell: the crazy Chao Ling-Cheng freed Evangeline if she took a look in a certain place in Surrey. Resulting in Evangeline cashing a lot of favors in the Muggle world and adopting Harry Potter, framing him as her son and Nagi as the father. Chaos ensues.
Son of the Sniper: as Hagrid appeared to collect Harry he found out that Petunia didn't even heard about the Potters deaths and has a cousin who hates her and has apparently adopted Harry. The name of the cousin? Mana Tatsumiya. Contains Gurkhas with exaggerated fame because a certain event. Spoiler
During Voldemort's peak of terror, a group of Death Eaters went at Shorncliffe to scare the Muggles into submission by slaughtering their best troops.
The day after, elements from the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Gurkha Rifles blasted their way in Diagon Alley, showed what remained of the (still living) Death Eaters and berated the wizards for letting those idiots roam free. After one of the Death Eaters begged for the Dementor's Kiss and called it better than fighting the Gurkhas again, people started believing the Gurkhas as an army of demons so evil that Satan himself doesn't dare to face them.
To this date, the Gurkhas never told any non-Gurkha what they did to the Death Eaters, and the Death Eaters that faced them willingly kissed the Dementors as soon as they went in Azkaban.
Note: in Harry McDowell I'm trying to keep a serious tone in spite of the Mahora characters roaming free and Hogwarts hiding a bunch of copies of Chachazero, but in Son of the Sniper I unleashed my craziness fully, so expect some crazy things. Especially at the Triwizards Tournament and the Fifth Year: Harry will be VERY anticlimatic, and Dumbledore shall find a rationalist DADA teacher capable of debunking the Killing Curse.
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Samuel wrote:In the spirit of awesome replacements:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4848597/1/P ... Pragmatism

Adama and Tigh are switched with McGonagall and Dumbuldore. It is short and probably won't be continued, it has Adama pull a Husker Hailmary as the headmaster of Hogwarts.
Um actually, that's mine, and I'm in the middle of figuring out a new chapter....
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

Well, I have another fanfic that you may find interesting: Muggle Summer, Wizard's Fall. Post-HBP, we find out that Dumbledore was preparing a very LOW hit against both Voldemort and Scrimgeour's ministry. Namely, he had organized a meeting between Harry and His Royal Highness the Prince Charles, Prince of Wales. My condolences to the Death Eaters blasted into tiny bits by a Paveway bomb and poor Scrimgeour impending removal.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

This is one of the best HP-verse fanfic I've read. It's set in America and features a new OC.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3964606/1/A ... orn_Circle
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness- A story set in the seventh year, from Neville's POV about the D.A. and the how bad things got at the school while the Golden Trio were running around on a wild goose chase. Warning. Very grimdark at times, high body count. But seriously, one of the absolute best fiction stories I have ever read.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Agent Fisher wrote:Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness- A story set in the seventh year, from Neville's POV about the D.A. and the how bad things got at the school while the Golden Trio were running around on a wild goose chase. Warning. Very grimdark at times, high body count. But seriously, one of the absolute best fiction stories I have ever read.
Started this one (fuck knows why) and it's quite good. +1 on the reccomendation.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Krisnack
Redshirt

Post by Krisnack »

Spiral Matrix, or what happens when Warhammer 40K meats... wait for it... Gurren Lagann.

Yodo's Shadow. Luke, Leia, and post-Vader Anakin are transported back in time to the events of The Phantom Menace. The writing starts off spotty, but gets progressively better as time goes on.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Picked up some good reading recommendations here, which is good since night shifts can be long and boring otherwise.

If you're looking for a fanfic that crosses SW and nBSG, then this one is hilarious, though incomplete.

This is a creative fanfic that crosses SW and a character from Tolkien-verse - it's short.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Ilya Muromets
Jedi Knight

Post by Ilya Muromets »

Continuing with the unlikely Harry Potter crossovers, I recommend Something Grim This Way Comes, an HP/Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy crossover.

The author somehow makes the crossover work, keeping the characterizations from both stories pretty spot on (although Harry has way more weirdness tolerance due to years of having Mandy as a best friend) and somehow manages to capture the dark, deadpan humor of Grim Adventures. Started off as a one shot years ago, but recently got another chapter after the author got bitten by the plot bunny.

Highlights include Nergal Jr. in Hupplepuff, Eris shapeshifting into an 11-year-old and somehow managing to shoehorn her way into Slytherin, and Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor Hoss Delgado.

"Like I said, I don't care about human suffering as long as it doesn't affect me."
----LionElJonson, admitting to being a sociopathic little shit

"Please educate yourself before posting more."
----Sarevok, who really should have taken his own advice
xt828
Padawan Learner

Post by xt828 »

In terms of Star Wars AH I think that Quill of Molliemon's Misunderstood V1 has already been mentioned - for my taste it's better than V2 in terms of character development, though both suffer a wee bit from lifting bad scenes wholesale from the prequel movies. The sequel Exile is also quite good.

Blank101's SW AH trilogy is also quite excellent - Into the Storm, In Shadows and Darkness and At the Brink of the Dawn and the Darkness. The basis of the plot is that the Falcon doesn't escape at Bespin, and Luke is turned to the Dark Side, but it stands head and shoulders above all the other Darkside Luke stuff I've read. Be aware that there is quite a lot of fairly brutal torture in parts.

Not on FF.net, but jAKL's Far Beyond Normal and Return to Normal Buffy/Stargate crossover is quite well written. The third one in the series is not really worth the time, though.
JGregory32
Padawan Learner

Post by JGregory32 »

This may not be the right place but I hope somebody can help me.
I remember reading this pretty good SW fic. In it Jaina Solo and Anakin Solo have, by some measure, gone back into the past of Episode 2.
Because it used Leia's children it managed to avoid the Cliche of Luke or Leia redeem Vadar before he's Vadar. Jaina doesn't really know much about her grandparents so she doesn't feel much need to get involved.
Features Jaina not being really impressed with Palpy! Genocidal Jania vs the Vong!
I can seem to find the blasted thing anymore, anybody know where it is?
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Ian Malcolm: God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs.
Ellie Sattler: Dinosaurs eat man … woman inherits the earth.
Jurassic Park
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5660424/1/: Prototype meets Resident Evil.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5078156/1/: Halo meets nBSG. However, Haloverse is upgraded pretty considerably.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

Redux: The Watchman: it's the remake of a Teen Titans fanfic. Having read the original fanfiction The Watchman, I can tell you it will be a wonderful fanfic. Only one thing: it will be VERY dark.
Caiaphas
Padawan Learner

Post by Caiaphas »

Since I've done a search on every single page and have yet to find this particular author, I would highly recommend any of the works of this particular HP author:

Ladies and gentlemen,
little0bird!

But theatrics aside, he's one of the best writers I've found on FF.net. The stories flow well, grammar is actually practiced for once, and realism is rampant. Not a goddamn Mary Sue or Gary Stu in sight.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Caiaphas wrote:Since I've done a search on every single page and have yet to find this particular author, I would highly recommend any of the works of this particular HP author:

Ladies and gentlemen,
little0bird!

But theatrics aside, he's one of the best writers I've found on FF.net. The stories flow well, grammar is actually practiced for once, and realism is rampant. Not a goddamn Mary Sue or Gary Stu in sight.
I see a lot of h/c fics in there. Am I going to be terribly disappointed if I actually bother to read some of that :?:
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

JGregory32 wrote:This may not be the right place but I hope somebody can help me.
I remember reading this pretty good SW fic. In it Jaina Solo and Anakin Solo have, by some measure, gone back into the past of Episode 2.
Because it used Leia's children it managed to avoid the Cliche of Luke or Leia redeem Vadar before he's Vadar. Jaina doesn't really know much about her grandparents so she doesn't feel much need to get involved.
Features Jaina not being really impressed with Palpy! Genocidal Jania vs the Vong!
I can seem to find the blasted thing anymore, anybody know where it is?
You sure it wasn't Jaina alone? Sanctuary of Time has Jaina and five-year-old Ben having gone later into the Clone Wars, deliberately after the Yuuzhan Vong War went irreversibly bad, in an attempt to let the Old Jedi Order know decades beforehand of the eventual invasion. Shame it's currently inactive and the story was over the course of the past five years, but I find it a great read, even if a bit cliched in the writing of Jaina. (I'm pretty more taken with Stuart Slade's writing style.)
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

How the hell is Legend Maker NOT on this list already?

Here's her link:http://www.fanfiction.net/u/65979/
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
JGregory32
Padawan Learner

Post by JGregory32 »

Thanks Edward that was the one I was thinking of.
Now that I have the name I found a much more readable version on FF.net though it doesn't have some of the later chapters. Enjoy!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2998319/1/Sanctuary_of_Time
"The future is lost. After witnessing the destruction of the galaxy at the hands of the Yuuzhan Vong, Jaina Solo and young Ben Skywalker venture into the past in the hopes that by saving Anakin Skywalker's soul, they can save their future"
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Ian Malcolm: God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs.
Ellie Sattler: Dinosaurs eat man … woman inherits the earth.
Jurassic Park
Caiaphas
Padawan Learner

Post by Caiaphas »

darthdavid wrote:I see a lot of h/c fics in there.
Oops. :oops:
Darth Paxis
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Paxis »

Pretty good AU Star Wars

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5704904/1/The_Last_Jedi

Summary: There are no Jedi. There are no Sith. There are Abnormals—persons born with a midi-chlorian count proscribed at a dangerous level by the Galactic Empire. Those persons are euthanized immediately upon discovery. When one abnormal boy is discovered and taken to his fate, the last living Jedi steps forward to set his feet upon the path of a new history.
KAC-WG

Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Good fanfiction is far too rare to keep to yourself. So here are a few of my favorites:

There's No Such Thing

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4405682/1/

A series of romantic interludes between Azula and Ty Lee. They have some interesting scenes together,
showing how two very different people could still love each other so much.

Learning to Share

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5060444/1/

A sweet moment between Zuko and his new baby sister.

Daria

Everything by The Angst Guy

http://www.theangstguy.com/fanfics/

If you aren't familiar with Daria, his writing might be a bit too obscure, but will be amazing if you're a fan of the show.
Warning: He's not called The Angst Guy for no reason, and some of his stories don't end happily.

Harry Potter

The Girl Nobody Knows

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2439980/1/

Hermione's actions up till Order of the Phoenix, seen from a very different perspective.
Who would have though the homely little bookworm was actually an aspiring dictator?

Inuyasha

The King's Mistress

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2067824/1/

An AU fic for Inuyasha set during the 16th century. It puts a nice historical twist on the Kiyko/Inuyasha/Kagome conflict, though Kagome is a bit sue-ish at times.

Power Rangers RPM

Alphabet Soup

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5222868/1/

I was led to Power Rangers RPM by the TV Tropes forum, and I was impressed by how mature and well developed the setting and characters were.
This is a series of short vignettes about Dr K, and her time at the research facility code named Alphabet Soup.
It's rather serious and a bit dark at times, but a worthwhile read.

Superman

Imagine That

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4247639/1/

This is a rather morbid story about Superman, and what goes through his head after failing to protect an innocent person, and how he deals with the problem.
Again, rather morbid, but a worthwhile read.