Starfighter!

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Starfighter!

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

[edit]
Updated with final draft:

Available in a wide variety of desktop sizes.: http://crossovercomic.com/index.php?pag ... inal_Draft
Middle click to open in a new tab and right click to save.

90% done. Suggestions?

Last edited by Fuzzy_Modem on 2010-11-21 01:44pm, edited 2 times in total.
PERMANENTLY BANNED after being convicted of child sexual abuse.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Re: Starfighter!

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Perhaps it's a bit cluttered?

Stripped down renders:

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

God lord! is there ANY surface of that ship NOT covered in massive amounts of guns and weapons? Oi! :shock:
((That said ver amzing, would like ot se a de-weponed version for beauty shots
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

More:

salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Very nice.

Is it for a game? If it isn´t it looks quite lowpoly and could use a couple of extra loops in the snout and the wings.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Very nice, smooth and slick design. Though, yes, I'd recommend toning down the weapons systems, there's too much gunnery, particularly the guns on the canard wings. But I do like the very curvy design. :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

I dunno, compared to some Shumup fighters this thing's positively barren. :D I mean, just four guns and two missile pods? Where's the screen-clearing bullet-atomizing bomb chute?
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

A little progress. I'm recalculating this one back down to 50% done. I need a new direction... it must be complex and believable, yet still sleek and clean.

Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Cockpit and vents improved.

I think I need to scrap certain parts of the body texture.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Reminds me of a Hapan starfighter. There was something from the old Essential Guide that had the same idea, the wings curving forward with guns at the tips... It's a pretty design, though. I like the cleaned-up version better. Perhaps recess the nose guns into the body like a P-38 or Naboo starfighter?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Very pretty. But something about those upper wings just just doesn't feel right.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Seems needlessly swoopy and curvy. Is there some back story the design?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

I think it could benefit from greebling up the guns a bit; ala the main guns on fractals missile boat.
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

phred wrote:Very pretty. But something about those upper wings just just doesn't feel right.
Perhaps if they ended further from the cockpit? ATM it looks like it'd just be easier to remove the wings entirely and slap the two guns from them next to the cockpit ones.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

This looks much sleeker and less cramped. The cockpit is pretty HUEG compared to the rest of the body, but aside from that I think it's pretty goods.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

Ooooh, it's pretty. Reminds me of the GalSpan fighters from Tachyon: The Fringe, particularly the Pegasus.

It looks great, especially from the back, and I love the "wings" - were you intending to evoke a scythe or kopesh?

Can't help but wonder how it lands. Presumably some of those detail sections on the botoom fold away or open and struts or wheels come out?
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Benedick-Arnold
Redshirt

Post by Benedick-Arnold »

Very Nice! ...now what does it look like in "battleoid" (robot) mode?
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Teleros wrote:
phred wrote:Very pretty. But something about those upper wings just just doesn't feel right.
Perhaps if they ended further from the cockpit? ATM it looks like it'd just be easier to remove the wings entirely and slap the two guns from them next to the cockpit ones.
Precisely. Or toss the guns too. The way they are they just make a bigger target profile, and are just extra pieces that could be blown off, possibly damaging the cockpit in the process
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I like the body and the engine, I'm just stuck on the swoopie wings. They just aren't doing it for me, either the dorsal or ventral ones; though, the canards are OK.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

phred wrote:Precisely. Or toss the guns too. The way they are they just make a bigger target profile, and are just extra pieces that could be blown off, possibly damaging the cockpit in the process
Yeah... I wasn't too worried about the target profile of space opera starfighters though - that route lies B5 Starfuries with computers instead of pilots ;) .
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

I've been experimenting with these "feathers" and thought I'd get some input. They'll produce a repulsion field, allowing the ship to hover.

Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Minor evolution:

Still thinking about the texture. I think I need to apply a specularity and reflection layer that simulates highly burnished smooth areas contrasted with seams that are entirely unpolished by virtue of being recessed.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

No one seems to like the feathers. I'm hoping they look more like teeth now, or a serrated edge.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Dude. You got way to much going on. Also, having all those repulsor field generators exposed like that seems needlessly careless. Maybe encase them in an extension of the wings.
Shit, how much would one of these cost for the military using it? :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

I´m no fan of the feathers either. What does look nice, though is the black rim that holds the feathers. Of course if you remove the feathers the rim won´t be necessary for anything anymore and should be removed. Maybe it would look cool, though, to pain the a black line on the edge of the wings into the texture. That would give it somewhat of a frame.