StarDestroyer.Net BBS

Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
Login   Register FAQ    Search

View unanswered posts | View active topics

It is currently 2014-09-20 06:03am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Board index » Fiction » Fantasy

Quote of the Week: "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Will Durant, American historian (1885-1981)

The Girl Genius Thread

Moderators: Mayabird, Steve

[ 1296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 52  Next
  Previous topic | Next topic 

Dralan
PostPosted: 2009-10-09 03:27pm 

Youngling

Im waiting for more of Othar Tryggvason, Gentleman Adventurer and alot more of the Jägerkin who are the coolest guys around. I have high hopes for the future of this series but I do also want less fillers unless it involves the Jägerkin 8)
   Profile |  

LadyTevar
PostPosted: 2009-10-09 08:25pm 

White Mage

TheLostVikings wrote:
Lord of the Abyss wrote:
New one up. Interesting; this might have long term plot ramifications.

Indeed. And I absolutely love the look they give each other at the end after watching the clanks fight. Of course they are probably going to deny ever acting like that themselves :lol:
I read the exchanged look more as an "uhoh, they ARE acting like Sparks"
   Profile |  

Elessar
PostPosted: 2010-01-22 01:11am 

Padawan Learner

Wow.

The Muse of Protection. Now that's an interesting twist; I had honestly believed it was just Von Pinn with a few more screws loose.

Looking back, I wonder how many wars were instigated by this Muse...
   Profile |  

Mayabird
PostPosted: 2010-01-22 09:06am 

Storytime!

That is a pretty big necro there, but I don't follow Girl Genius so I don't know if this would be a legitimate big reason to update or not. Comments from the people in the know? Let it live or lock?
   Profile |  

Serafina
PostPosted: 2010-01-22 09:49am 

Sith Acolyte

Mayabird wrote:
That is a pretty big necro there, but I don't follow Girl Genius so I don't know if this would be a legitimate big reason to update or not. Comments from the people in the know? Let it live or lock?

I would let it live.
It has regular updates (three times a week), it just seemed that there was nothing worth of discussion for a while now.
But personally, i think there is enough to warrant letting this thread alive.

Quote:
Wow.

The Muse of Protection. Now that's an interesting twist; I had honestly believed it was just Von Pinn with a few more screws loose.

Looking back, I wonder how many wars were instigated by this Muse...

Where do you get the idea that the Muse of Protection instigated any wars?
   Profile |  

D.Turtle
PostPosted: 2010-01-22 09:50am 

Jedi Council Member

I just hope that the whole "sickness" plot thing is over soon, its getting quite boring...

And yeah, I had also expected Von Pinn.

Oh, and I would just leave the thread open, then at least everything about Girl Genius is in one place.
   Profile |  

Oskuro
PostPosted: 2010-01-22 10:51am 

Sith Devotee

Mayabird wrote:

Considering the thread was created to follow the Girl Genius webcomic, it stands to reason that it might see little activity during slow periods (and I guess during the holidays people were busy otherwise), particularly if any hiatus on the webcomic's publication schedule comes up, yet discussing updates would qualify as a reason to ressurect the thread.

Just my 2 cents, although I'd bring up this issue with Lady Tevar, seeing how she's kind of the resident Girl Genius rabid fangirl main supporter :wink:
   Profile |  

Zixinus
PostPosted: 2010-01-22 05:48pm 

Sith Acolyte

What I'd like to know is, how the hell did that muse end up there?
   Profile |  

Serafina
PostPosted: 2010-01-22 06:54pm 

Sith Acolyte

Zixinus wrote:

If i had to take a wild guess, someone (perhaps a Heterodyne) partially rebuilt her and kept her as a Guardian - OR she was sent by someone else to kill Lucrezia (perhaps the Baron?).
   Profile |  

Mayabird
PostPosted: 2010-01-22 07:49pm 

Storytime!

Well then, I'm convinced. The thread stays. Thumbs...(glances at History forum)...whichever way means it lives!
[line 2]
   Profile |  

LadyTevar
PostPosted: 2010-01-22 09:32pm 

White Mage

Serafina wrote:
Zixinus wrote:

If i had to take a wild guess, someone (perhaps a Heterodyne) partially rebuilt her and kept her as a Guardian - OR she was sent by someone else to kill Lucrezia (perhaps the Baron?).
You've forgotten the Opera of the Storm King, haven't you. The same man who created the Muses fell in love with the sister of the ruling Heterodyne. Drama ensued as the heterodyne was kidnapped by the Stormking's rival.

Undoubtably, the StormKing gave the Muse of Protection to his beloved (and her descendents). Lucrecia killed/caused the death of her own son, the Heir to the Heterodynes, when she/the Other blew up Castle Heterodyne.
   Profile |  

The Yosemite Bear
PostPosted: 2010-01-23 03:30am 

Mostly Harmless Nutcase

oh, when will those sparks learn that telling their clanks to OBEY never works?
   Profile |  

Serafina
PostPosted: 2010-01-23 08:06am 

Sith Acolyte

LadyTevar wrote:
Serafina wrote:
Zixinus wrote:

You've forgotten the Opera of the Storm King, haven't you. The same man who created the Muses fell in love with the sister of the ruling Heterodyne. Drama ensued as the heterodyne was kidnapped by the Stormking's rival.

Undoubtably, the StormKing gave the Muse of Protection to his beloved (and her descendents). Lucrecia killed/caused the death of her own son, the Heir to the Heterodynes, when she/the Other blew up Castle Heterodyne.

Whoops - yes, i forgot about that :oops: .

Thanks for the explanation.
   Profile |  

Oskuro
PostPosted: 2010-01-23 09:32am 

Sith Devotee

I should really pay more attention to details like the Opera, lest I keep being blindsided by these grand entrances of whose significance I have no clue.
   Profile |  

LadyTevar
PostPosted: 2010-01-23 05:48pm 

White Mage

As a side note: The Foglios are finally posting the MythAdventures graphic novel they did many years ago. Since Robert Asprin passed away nearly a year ago, perhaps this is a tribute to him.
   Profile |  

Darmalus
PostPosted: 2010-01-25 08:12pm 

Jedi Knight

I'm beginning to wonder if being a spark makes you exceptionally tough (scaling with the strength of your spark) or if someone devised some gas lamp fantasy trans-humanist procedure, and all the top sparks are stealing from each other in order to have the best family line.
   Profile |  

The Yosemite Bear
PostPosted: 2010-01-25 08:28pm 

Mostly Harmless Nutcase

Well it's always reminded me of something by Phillip Jose Farmer
   Profile |  

Lord of the Abyss
PostPosted: 2010-01-25 10:26pm 

Village Idiot

Darmalus wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder if being a spark makes you exceptionally tough (scaling with the strength of your spark) or if someone devised some gas lamp fantasy trans-humanist procedure, and all the top sparks are stealing from each other in order to have the best family line.

They have the process that turns people into Jaegers; there are probably other methods of enhancement that don't make you so obviously nonhuman.
   Profile |  

RecklessPrudence
PostPosted: 2010-01-26 06:33am 

Padawan Learner

Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.
I'm sure there's been an appreciative comment, either by a Jaeger or by another spark, about how resilient and rapidly healing Gil is (if it was a spark, I think it was something along the lines of 'so that's how he did it!')... that, plus the scars surrounding most of both Gil and the Baron's torsos, and IIRC, something early in the comics run about how the Baron 'built' his previous heirs, as well as Gil... all that added together has been saying 'steampunk trans-humanist' to me for a while.

Of course, take all this with a heaping helping of salt, as I'm running on about three hours' sleep for the last four days and haven't read the archives in a good long while.
   Profile |  

Vendetta
PostPosted: 2010-01-26 08:54am 

Emperor's Hand

Darmalus wrote:

Little from column A, little from column B.

Agatha has shown herself to be fairly strong when she's in the madness place, but not so much otherwise. As active sparks for longer, and as offspring of sparks, there's every likelyhood that Gil and Tarvek have upgrades.

There's also some speculation that Gil is a construct like Punch and Judy.
   Profile |  

Oskuro
PostPosted: 2010-01-26 07:05pm 

Sith Devotee

They also undergo rigorous training (Imparted by Zeetha in Agatha's case), wich most certainly helps a lot.

As for Gil being a construct, the Baron did mention his wife early in the story (while he is trying to "study" Othar), and his pointing out that Zeetha might be on a mission to kill Gil "because he (the Baron) let him live" might hint at his mother having some relationship to Skyfander.

Sparks are also too crazy to bother with being hurt anyway.
   Profile |  

LadyTevar
PostPosted: 2010-01-26 11:14pm 

White Mage

One of the rumors is that Gil is who/what Zeetha was sent to look for, as he is the Son of the Queen.

As for the toughness, I think that gil has been 'improved upon' by his father.
   Profile |  

Zixinus
PostPosted: 2010-01-27 06:33am 

Sith Acolyte

Or its just part of being a spark, so this would allow dramatic fights where they are thrown around without much consequences beyond those needed by the author.
I mean, think about it: how else can those sparks build super-machines?
   Profile |  

LadyTevar
PostPosted: 2010-01-28 09:08pm 

White Mage

Interesting... does this imply that the Muse of Protection is part of the Castle?!
   Profile |  

Vendetta
PostPosted: 2010-01-29 07:57am 

Emperor's Hand

LadyTevar wrote:
Interesting... does this imply that the Muse of Protection is part of the Castle?!

It seems possible that the core intelligence of the Castle was the Muse of Protection, yes. Or, at least, when the Castle was working properly, the Muse has likely been cut off from the rest by the damage inflicted by The Other. She/It certainly seems to be out of touch with modern politics.
   Profile |  

[ 1296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 52  Next

It is currently 2014-09-20 06:03am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Board index » Fiction » Fantasy