The Girl Genius Thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Dralan
Youngling

Re: The Girl Genius Thread

Post by Dralan »

Im waiting for more of Othar Tryggvason, Gentleman Adventurer and alot more of the Jägerkin who are the coolest guys around. I have high hopes for the future of this series but I do also want less fillers unless it involves the Jägerkin 8)
Violets are red and roses are blue, if you open up photoshop and fuck with the hue!

"Killboy. 35 missions flown, 35 replacement Fighta-Bommerz, an' 35 major bionik surgery procedures.
67 Konfirmed kills, includin' 43 actually belongin' to the enemy--
'E may 'ave been a total madboy, but 'e knew 'ow to get the job done."

~Kommander Uzgob (AKA "Maverork"), Deff Skwadron.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TheLostVikings wrote:
Lord of the Abyss wrote:New one up. Interesting; this might have long term plot ramifications.
Indeed. And I absolutely love the look they give each other at the end after watching the clanks fight. Of course they are probably going to deny ever acting like that themselves :lol:
I read the exchanged look more as an "uhoh, they ARE acting like Sparks"
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Elessar
Padawan Learner

Post by Elessar »

Wow.

The Muse of Protection. Now that's an interesting twist; I had honestly believed it was just Von Pinn with a few more screws loose.

Looking back, I wonder how many wars were instigated by this Muse...
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

That is a pretty big necro there, but I don't follow Girl Genius so I don't know if this would be a legitimate big reason to update or not. Comments from the people in the know? Let it live or lock?
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Mayabird wrote:That is a pretty big necro there, but I don't follow Girl Genius so I don't know if this would be a legitimate big reason to update or not. Comments from the people in the know? Let it live or lock?
I would let it live.
It has regular updates (three times a week), it just seemed that there was nothing worth of discussion for a while now.
But personally, i think there is enough to warrant letting this thread alive.

Wow.

The Muse of Protection. Now that's an interesting twist; I had honestly believed it was just Von Pinn with a few more screws loose.

Looking back, I wonder how many wars were instigated by this Muse...
Where do you get the idea that the Muse of Protection instigated any wars?
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

I just hope that the whole "sickness" plot thing is over soon, its getting quite boring...

And yeah, I had also expected Von Pinn.

Oh, and I would just leave the thread open, then at least everything about Girl Genius is in one place.
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Mayabird wrote:That is a pretty big necro there, but I don't follow Girl Genius so I don't know if this would be a legitimate big reason to update or not. Comments from the people in the know? Let it live or lock?
Considering the thread was created to follow the Girl Genius webcomic, it stands to reason that it might see little activity during slow periods (and I guess during the holidays people were busy otherwise), particularly if any hiatus on the webcomic's publication schedule comes up, yet discussing updates would qualify as a reason to ressurect the thread.

Just my 2 cents, although I'd bring up this issue with Lady Tevar, seeing how she's kind of the resident Girl Genius rabid fangirl main supporter :wink:
unsigned
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

What I'd like to know is, how the hell did that muse end up there?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Zixinus wrote:What I'd like to know is, how the hell did that muse end up there?
If i had to take a wild guess, someone (perhaps a Heterodyne) partially rebuilt her and kept her as a Guardian - OR she was sent by someone else to kill Lucrezia (perhaps the Baron?).
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Well then, I'm convinced. The thread stays. Thumbs...(glances at History forum)...whichever way means it lives!
[line 2]
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Serafina wrote:
Zixinus wrote:What I'd like to know is, how the hell did that muse end up there?
If i had to take a wild guess, someone (perhaps a Heterodyne) partially rebuilt her and kept her as a Guardian - OR she was sent by someone else to kill Lucrezia (perhaps the Baron?).
You've forgotten the Opera of the Storm King, haven't you. The same man who created the Muses fell in love with the sister of the ruling Heterodyne. Drama ensued as the heterodyne was kidnapped by the Stormking's rival.

Undoubtably, the StormKing gave the Muse of Protection to his beloved (and her descendents). Lucrecia killed/caused the death of her own son, the Heir to the Heterodynes, when she/the Other blew up Castle Heterodyne.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

oh, when will those sparks learn that telling their clanks to OBEY never works?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

LadyTevar wrote:
Serafina wrote:
You've forgotten the Opera of the Storm King, haven't you. The same man who created the Muses fell in love with the sister of the ruling Heterodyne. Drama ensued as the heterodyne was kidnapped by the Stormking's rival.

Undoubtably, the StormKing gave the Muse of Protection to his beloved (and her descendents). Lucrecia killed/caused the death of her own son, the Heir to the Heterodynes, when she/the Other blew up Castle Heterodyne.
Whoops - yes, i forgot about that :oops: .

Thanks for the explanation.

Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

I should really pay more attention to details like the Opera, lest I keep being blindsided by these grand entrances of whose significance I have no clue.
unsigned
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

As a side note: The Foglios are finally posting the MythAdventures graphic novel they did many years ago. Since Robert Asprin passed away nearly a year ago, perhaps this is a tribute to him.

Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

I'm beginning to wonder if being a spark makes you exceptionally tough (scaling with the strength of your spark) or if someone devised some gas lamp fantasy trans-humanist procedure, and all the top sparks are stealing from each other in order to have the best family line.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Well it's always reminded me of something by Phillip Jose Farmer

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Darmalus wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if being a spark makes you exceptionally tough (scaling with the strength of your spark) or if someone devised some gas lamp fantasy trans-humanist procedure, and all the top sparks are stealing from each other in order to have the best family line.
They have the process that turns people into Jaegers; there are probably other methods of enhancement that don't make you so obviously nonhuman.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Post by RecklessPrudence »

I'm sure there's been an appreciative comment, either by a Jaeger or by another spark, about how resilient and rapidly healing Gil is (if it was a spark, I think it was something along the lines of 'so that's how he did it!')... that, plus the scars surrounding most of both Gil and the Baron's torsos, and IIRC, something early in the comics run about how the Baron 'built' his previous heirs, as well as Gil... all that added together has been saying 'steampunk trans-humanist' to me for a while.

Of course, take all this with a heaping helping of salt, as I'm running on about three hours' sleep for the last four days and haven't read the archives in a good long while.
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Darmalus wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if being a spark makes you exceptionally tough (scaling with the strength of your spark) or if someone devised some gas lamp fantasy trans-humanist procedure, and all the top sparks are stealing from each other in order to have the best family line.
Little from column A, little from column B.

Agatha has shown herself to be fairly strong when she's in the madness place, but not so much otherwise. As active sparks for longer, and as offspring of sparks, there's every likelyhood that Gil and Tarvek have upgrades.

There's also some speculation that Gil is a construct like Punch and Judy.
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

They also undergo rigorous training (Imparted by Zeetha in Agatha's case), wich most certainly helps a lot.

As for Gil being a construct, the Baron did mention his wife early in the story (while he is trying to "study" Othar), and his pointing out that Zeetha might be on a mission to kill Gil "because he (the Baron) let him live" might hint at his mother having some relationship to Skyfander.

Sparks are also too crazy to bother with being hurt anyway.
unsigned
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

One of the rumors is that Gil is who/what Zeetha was sent to look for, as he is the Son of the Queen.

As for the toughness, I think that gil has been 'improved upon' by his father.

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Or its just part of being a spark, so this would allow dramatic fights where they are thrown around without much consequences beyond those needed by the author.
I mean, think about it: how else can those sparks build super-machines?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Interesting... does this imply that the Muse of Protection is part of the Castle?!

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

LadyTevar wrote:Interesting... does this imply that the Muse of Protection is part of the Castle?!
It seems possible that the core intelligence of the Castle was the Muse of Protection, yes. Or, at least, when the Castle was working properly, the Muse has likely been cut off from the rest by the damage inflicted by The Other. She/It certainly seems to be out of touch with modern politics.