SDN World 3 Commentary Thread I

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

SDN World 3 Commentary Thread I

Post by Steve »

Okay, NPC conversation goes here. This is also where I will issue dictates to the peasa.... to the players, yeah. :mrgreen: :twisted:

Time for dreadnoughts. 8)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread I

Post by DarthShady »

Alright Gentlemen, I'm taking bets now. :D

My money is on "war starts within a week". Who's in? :lol:
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Frigidmagi from LibArc bet on no less than three world wars by 1936.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

DarthShady wrote:Alright Gentlemen, I'm taking bets now. :D

My money is on "war starts within a week". Who's in? :lol:
War has already started. See Story thread.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

That? That's not war. That's just Shep and Lonestar exchanging love taps. :mrgreen:

Heavy love taps. Somethin' not right with dem boys, I tell ya. :wink:

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I need to get my fleet order worked up, something I hoped to do yesterday. Anyone have any ideas for a massive useless Boondoggle I can run? I'm thinking of announcing I'm laying down the world first Super-Dreadnaught with something crazy like a twenty four gun ship 16inch ship (Four back, four forward of trio guns) with a top speed of sixteen knots or so. Not a new class but a new ship. But is that crazy enough? Remember it's a Prestige project.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

I am afraid to say that I may be potentially dropping out of this game, something has gone wrong and It may stop me from playing. I am sorry for the trouble I have caused asking people stuff etc.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Mr Bean wrote:I need to get my fleet order worked up, something I hoped to do yesterday. Anyone have any ideas for a massive useless Boondoggle I can run? I'm thinking of announcing I'm laying down the world first Super-Dreadnaught with something crazy like a twenty four gun ship 16inch ship (Four back, four forward of trio guns) with a top speed of sixteen knots or so. Not a new class but a new ship. But is that crazy enough? Remember it's a Prestige project.
...hrm. Not sure how that'd work. And it can't be over 50kT Standard so you might need something like a really slow 12 18" gun ship to be a "prestige project".

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Assuming he can even lob off a full broadside, without something cracking here and there. Most of the 18" designs seem to demand at least more than 50 KTonnes unless one wants to compromise on armor.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

I've been working on my fleet list and I'd like to get people's opinions on if this is a logical setup.

-60 Clemson class Destroyers (1215 tons each)
-3 Carlisle class light cruisers (4200 tons each)
-3 Caledon class light cruisers (4180 tons each)
-7 Danae class light cruisers (4850 tons each)
-12 R-Boat subs (578 tons each)
-20 S-Boat subs (American version, 906 tons each)
-4 Aoba class heavy cruisers (7100 tons each)
-4 Myoko class heavy cruisers (10160 tons each)
-4 Blucher class heavy cruisers (possible, if Thanas gives me the go ahead)
-2 New York class Battleships (27,200 tons each)
-2 Nevada class Battleships (27500 tons each)
-1 Pennsylvania class Battleship (21400 tons)
-2 New Mexico class Battleships (32000 tons each)
-2 Tennessee class Battleships (32000 tons each)
-2 Colorado class Battleships (32600 tons each)
-4 South Dakota class Battleships (43200 tons each)
-2 Bismarck class Battleships (again, if Thanas gives me the go ahead)
-1 Lexington class Carrier (38746)
-277488 tons for oilers, sub tenders, minesweepers, etc.

Note: All the weights are from Wikipedia, so they might very well be wrong. If someone has access to better sources please let me have it if necessary.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I can guarantee Thanas probably hasn't given you any Bismarcks. And your Lexington-style converted carrier would still be in the yard being converted.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Lascaris has brought back up the point of support troops vs. line troops. He's proposed each base division of 15,000 troops cost 25,000 in manpower due to support personnel.

Any opinions before I sign off on this?

Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Siege I find it amusing that neither the assassin nor the count were using a Browning, as least after the knife attack failed. I guess things are just kind of retro at the Sultan's court :P
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Steve wrote:Lascaris has brought back up the point of support troops vs. line troops. He's proposed each base division of 15,000 troops cost 25,000 in manpower due to support personnel.

Any opinions before I sign off on this?
So long as our current troop set up is for combat troops, seriously I don't want to redo my OoB *again*
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Raj Ahten wrote:Siege I find it amusing that neither the assassin nor the count were using a Browning, as least after the knife attack failed. I guess things are just kind of retro at the Sultan's court :P
The Count didn't have time to draw his Luger Parabellum, and the assassin probably planned to get out alive, and as such couldn't risk using a gun that would attract the attention of the guards. This will be a plot point later. But of course you're also right when you say the court of the Sultan is pretty retro too :D.
Steve wrote:Any opinions before I sign off on this?
Can this non-issue please go die quietly in a corner somewhere? Who in the name of the seven hells wants to calculate something as utterly irrelevant and trivial for RP purposes as how many damned support troops the army has dallying about?!
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Heh heh heh, good opinion Siege.

Yeah, I think I'm going to say support troops don't count against those totals.

Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

And the war of words begins.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

I lost track, did the Panama Canal ever get built or are the two of us (Ryan and I) racing for towards the goal of first across the line?
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Given that both the Panama and Suez canals could have been built earlier then historical, and that SDN world 3 is hyper industrialized it would be illogical to have them not exist. In fact two Atlantic-Pacific Canals might well exist to handle heavy traffic flows. The real race would be the race to build third sets of locks which can accommodate the great beams of modern battleships, as the US would ultimately begin to build in 1940 only to cancel in 1942 after major excavation work had been done.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

And so the game has begun, and I have not yet begun to fight design my OOB (which will probably amount to much the same thing, really).

Fucknuggets.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

RogueIce wrote:And so the game has begun, and I have not yet begun to fight design my OOB (which will probably amount to much the same thing, really).

Fucknuggets.
Just go with mostly historical US stuff. It worked for me :P !
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

The Suez Canal certainly was built, the Egyptians and Byzantines jointly financed its construction.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

By the by, since I control Texas, that makes Chester Nimitz not only born in my nation, but also presently serving in the US Navy, as a Commander. Thus he is mine, all mine!

This post brought to you in the effort to prevent Zor from having another retarded "Isoroku Nimitz" character. :D

Looking at Wikipedia, it appears all the five-stars were born in my part of the US. Yay!
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Given that both the Panama and Suez canals could have been built earlier then historical, and that SDN world 3 is hyper industrialized it would be illogical to have them not exist. In fact two Atlantic-Pacific Canals might well exist to handle heavy traffic flows. The real race would be the race to build third sets of locks which can accommodate the great beams of modern battleships, as the US would ultimately begin to build in 1940 only to cancel in 1942 after major excavation work had been done.
My operating thesis has been that the Panama Canal has been built but the Rio San Juan canal has NOT been built (due to the greater length). What I need to figure out is whether Ryan has the Panama Canal as constructed or if he delayed (without US intervention securing the Canal Zone might have been a touch more difficult).
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

CmdrWilkens wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:Given that both the Panama and Suez canals could have been built earlier then historical, and that SDN world 3 is hyper industrialized it would be illogical to have them not exist. In fact two Atlantic-Pacific Canals might well exist to handle heavy traffic flows. The real race would be the race to build third sets of locks which can accommodate the great beams of modern battleships, as the US would ultimately begin to build in 1940 only to cancel in 1942 after major excavation work had been done.
My operating thesis has been that the Panama Canal has been built but the Rio San Juan canal has NOT been built (due to the greater length). What I need to figure out is whether Ryan has the Panama Canal as constructed or if he delayed (without US intervention securing the Canal Zone might have been a touch more difficult).
IIRC the idea is that Colombia built it with the assistance of a number of other nations' contributions, giving them seats on the Canal Board for operating the Panama Canal, though it is recognized as sovereign Colombian territory.