The Girl Genius Thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: The Girl Genius Thread

Post by LadyTevar »

fgalkin wrote:And Girl Genius has just won the 2009 Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
And today they posted their "Thank You" message online. I love Agatha breaking in to make sure the crowd wasn't Mind-Controlled into voting for them :twisted:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

LadyTevar wrote: I love Agatha breaking in to make sure the crowd wasn't Mind-Controlled into voting for them :twisted:
Repeatedly.

"Maybe we just won."

"Riiiiiight."
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Abiut Gil and modification: he admits that his father has immunised him to every disease possible and we earlier have seen a little gadjet on his arm.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Ah, Spark foreplay its cute but really creapy.

Why doesn't she just jump him already :lol:

And she really needs to work on her bedside manner
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Oh wow. "We're just going to kill you, and then you'll be fine!" :lol: Reminds of things that happened in WoW, our Priest (healer) couldn't cure this really annoying, long lasting debuff in the dungeon Stratholme, so that was his advice to us. "Go die, then I'll resurrect you. Cures everything!"

I went and got the PDF versions of the 8 books and the little book of extras, and the book of extras has a decoder device in it. Are there any codes in the comic? I haven't noticed any myself, but I have read through the whole thing only once at high sped, and more eyes might catch that.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I guess no one is going to ask consent to this... radical procedure.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Zixinus wrote:I guess no one is going to ask consent to this... radical procedure.
The best thing about being a Mad Scientist is NEVER having to ask yourself "Should I really be doing this?"
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Darmalus wrote:
Zixinus wrote:I guess no one is going to ask consent to this... radical procedure.
The best thing about being a Mad Scientist is NEVER having to ask yourself "Should I really be doing this?"
No, they got consent. From the infected Spark. Who finds it a "Brilliant Idea!"
:mrgreen:

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

"No, we're going to kill him properly"
Brilliant.
unsigned
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I liked the "Freakish, Twisted Courtship Rituals" comment myself.

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

My love for the Wulfenbach's continues to increase. I :luv: Klaus.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Imperial Overlord wrote:My love for the Wulfenbach's continues to increase. I :luv: Klaus.
As do I. Which is why I can't see Kaus without wondering what will become of that spark enslaving wasp he swallowed.

Poor von Zinzer, "I'm no-one's happy little helper." indeed.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

the slaver wasp has been killed by the utter evil of Klaus, and his army of ferrets that hate slaver wasps....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

I'm probably a sick, sick, man but todays comic really turns me on :oops:
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Bedlam wrote:I'm probably a sick, sick, man but todays comic really turns me on :oops:
You and Gil both, from the looks of it.
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Indeed, and seconded. I would let Agatha tie me down without question.
unsigned
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Darmalus wrote:
Bedlam wrote:I'm probably a sick, sick, man but todays comic really turns me on :oops:
You and Gil both, from the looks of it.
... Spooky girl's All Yours, pal

Weird Spark Mating Rituals, indeed.

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Could the nipple attachments (on Tarvek) do anything with it?
Credo!
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Which I guess needs the ghosts of Richard Attenburough and Steve Irwin to discuss spark mating rituals discovery channel style.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I positively fail to see what's wrong with GG's graphics. I very much enjoy that visual style and I can't be arsed to look up who said it but the change to colour was a DEFINITE improvement.
So far I very much enjoy the series (caught up to current comics earlier today) and I love the setting (though more background information on how it came to be would have been nice if not really essential).
About the only thing I don't like so far is that from now on I'll have to wait for them to actually put up new episodes :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

One the the PDF books I bought had a lot of backstory about the setting. Pretty much mad scientists, given enough resources, can cause waves. Big waves. England is now completely underwater (bubble cities!) and Europa has been reshaped by various sparks who didn't like that mountain/valley/plain/lake and altered the landscape to suit their tastes. Or just set off a really big explosion.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Darmalus wrote:England is now completely underwater (bubble cities!)
Ah! that explains Gil's phrase in this well known episode. Where he rants that he'll "melt what is left of your miserable island to slag".
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

England isn't entirely underwater, but a good chunk of the island has been sunk. You can see it on the map.

It need not be said that the Wulfenbach's are awesome.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Hmm, looks like Europa hasn't been changed as much as the original setting notes seemed to imply. That, or most of the changes are local and don't show up at that scale. Still, a lot of historical figures do appear, even if thier exact actions no longer match our world. I can't remember if if was mentioned, but the Muses of the Storm King were build by this world's version of Rembrandt ("van Rijn").
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

What do you mean "NO! NO!" What went wrong!? I thought you were trying to switch their brains? Arg! I don't want to wait a whole weekend for this!