US Election 2008 Results Thread

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

President McCain 2008/President Obama 2008?

Poll ended at 2008-11-05 01:47pm

President Barack Obama(D)/Vice President Joe Biden(D)
88%
Senator John McCain(R)/Vice President Sarah Palin(R)
7%
I plan to vote/throw my vote away for a third party candidate
6%

Total votes: 260

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Re: US Election 2008 Results Thread

Post by RedImperator »

McCain will win Kentucky handily. The only race there that's interesting is McConnell/Lunsford. Indiana, the longer they're out, the better.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

RedImperator wrote:McCain will win Kentucky handily. The only race there that's interesting is McConnell/Lunsford. Indiana, the longer they're out, the better.
Speaking of McConnel/Lunsford the later is running roughly 12% ahead of Obama's position. The final Pollster composite had McCain up 13% in the state so if Lunsford can do 12% better than Obama we would be looking at a ace too close to call until sometime tomorrow if not for some time later after recounts, provisionals, and absentees.

*this was prior to CNN reporting the first results out of Louisville which brought Obama a crapload closer
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

NOS has Obama/McCain virtually tied in Kentucky, 49-50. I don't know where they're getting their data from.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Bounty wrote:NOS has Obama/McCain virtually tied in Kentucky, 49-50. I don't know where they're getting their data from.
Louisville, a very democratic city, has reported almost half of its votes, while the other rural areas and cities have barely started counting.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

MSNBC just projected Kentucky for McCain and Vermont for Obama. Indiana is too close to call. McCain is up by a few hundred votes at the moment, but it is very close.
Nathaniel
Youngling

Post by Nathaniel »

Yeah, BBC has Kentucky M and Vermont O as well.

Kentucky...shit. That'll come as a real blow to Obama.
"Elections aren't about making intelligent arguments; they're about who can mobilize the largest army of idiots." -Wong
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

McConnell's senate race is too close to call. Current score?

88803 Lunsford (D) 51%
85993 McConnel (R) 49%

If both McConnel and Chambliss lose, I will squee. The Congressian Republican party's leadership torn out of the party.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Nathaniel wrote:Yeah, BBC has Kentucky M and Vermont O as well.

Wasn't it solidly red in the predictions to begin with?
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

How is this a blow to Obama? Kentucky was always projected to go to McCain.

Tribun, is that you?
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Nathaniel
Youngling

Post by Nathaniel »

Bounty wrote:

Yeah, let's just hope that Obama can carry Texas, Utah, and Oklamoha or this'll all be over.
"Elections aren't about making intelligent arguments; they're about who can mobilize the largest army of idiots." -Wong
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Nathaniel wrote:
Bounty wrote:

Yeah, let's just hope that Obama can carry Texas, Utah, and Oklamoha or this'll all be over.
You know sarcasm works better when you have, oh I don't know, a bit of history from which to demonstrate it.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

90K counted in Florida, 53-46 McCain
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

CNN`s Jessica: Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:CNN`s Jessica: Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!
Context plz?

The Dutch have got a reporter in the GOP headquarters and she doesn't look impressed.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Bounty wrote:90K counted in Florida, 53-46 McCain
These 90k are in Lake County, a conservative suburban area which went for Bush in 2004 by a 21% lead. Obama's doing well.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Bounty wrote:
Context plz?

The Dutch have got a reporter in the GOP headquarters and she doesn't look impressed.
CNN (means politics, LOL) has a reporter being shot by hi-def cams by the dozen in a tent so she appear with Wolf in the studio as a hologram. It's reporting... OF THE FUTURE!
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Sorry if I don't know the context of the numbers, I'm following this on the NOS map and it's pretty basic. They've got some pretty good tie-in coverage on TV and radio.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Honestly I don't think its worth worrying about any state until you get into th 10% reporting range or so. Right now those 90k votes will represent somewhere in the range of 1% of the Florida vote.

-Kingdom of Heaven
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Florida: McCain by 54 %. But only one percent in.

Indiana at 51 to 48 McCain right now. I'm starting to worry.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Saxtonite
Padawan Learner

Post by Saxtonite »

did anyone notice the hologram shown on CNN for the person at the rally (in Grant Park IIRC) being projected to the CNN studios in NYC? I though that was kind've cool. They just showed it withing the past 5 mins of this post and I was surprised when they showed the "via hologram" written on the bottom.

In another related thing, there should be a big rally in the city center of Chicago (there is on now; growing). Massive numbers expected in Grant Park. and the temperature is nice and warm for early november, late 60-early 70 degrees Fahrenheit making there probably more. City government is encouraging public transport but extra parking space would be available. though Metra stops service at 1 AM which the rally might continue afterward.
"Opps, wanted to add; wasn't there a study about how really smart people lead shitty lives socially? I vaguely remember something about it, so correct me if I'm wrong. Frankly, I'm of the opinion that I'd rather let the new Newton or new Tesla lead a better life than have him have a shitty one and come up with apple powered death rays."
-Knife, in here
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

CmdrWilkens wrote:Honestly I don't think its worth worrying about any state until you get into th 10% reporting range or so. Right now those 90k votes will represent somewhere in the range of 1% of the Florida vote.
Less, the counter's still at zero.

Is CNN's coverage tolerable? Holograms are way cooler than reports on schools.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Florida: McCain by 54 %. But only one percent in.

Indiana at 51 to 48 McCain right now. I'm starting to worry.
I wouldn't. Lake county hasn't even started reporting yet and Marion county (Indy) has put 5k votes out there with several hundred thousand more to come. Again this is a state Bush won by 21% and we are talking right now about too close to call...that's victory.

-Kingdom of Heaven
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

And now Obama's leading in Florida, but they just said on CNN that their seems to be a problem with the math. Did anyone catch the details about that?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

The numbers on the monitor were 48-38, so unless there's a wildly popular third party their data must've gotten messed up;
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

So far I've only heard Kentucky called. Have any others been called clearly for one or the other?