StarDestroyer.Net BBS

Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
Login  FAQ    Search

View unanswered posts | View active topics


It is currently 2014-04-18 02:40pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Board index » Gallery » Parting Shots


Quote of the Week: "In the United States, the majority undertakes to supply a multitude of ready-made opinions for the use of individuals, who are thus relieved from the necessity of forming opinions of their own." - Alexis de Tocqueville, French writer (1805-1859)

[OmniBack] Can the Borg assimilate a Founder?

Moderator: Moderators

Post new topic Post a reply  Page 2 of 3
 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Previous topic | Next topic 
Author Message

Baal
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007-07-10 10:52am 

Padawan Learner


Joined: 2007-01-24 08:27pm
Posts: 334
Flagg wrote:
I don't know that the Borg could ever really do it without somehow freezing their ability to shapeshift. I mean the founders are able to fool Federation, Klingon, Romulan, and Cardassian sensors and scanning technology, including medical equipment. Right down to the blood cells at least. I think if ever at war with the Dominion, the Borg would simply try to completely wipe the founders out.


As for Data, I think the Borg could probably assimilate him easily if they chose to. IIRC we've seen Data interface with Starfleet technology on more than one occasion and we know they Borg can interface with it from First Contact and Voyager. What it comes down to is whether or not Data can block access to his neural net, and if the Borg can get through that firewall without taking his "brain" apart piece by piece.


I always figured that when Data said he could not be assimilated it meant the Borg couldnt assimilate him and get all of him. Sure they may be able to take control of his body but the time and effort it would take would be more than enough time for Data to completely trash his own neural network. The Queen needed those lockdown codes. If you give Data even a millisecond of time during assimilation he would delete/overwrite/delete that could a few million times so that there was no way for the Borg Queen to get the data she needed.
   Profile |  

Skylon
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007-07-10 12:20pm 

Jedi Council Member


Joined: 2005-01-12 05:55pm
Posts: 1641
Location: New York
Since Data is coming up a bit here, was I the only one who in "Best of Both Worlds" got the impression the Borg had a disdain for purely artificial life (ie: robots, droids etc). Based on Locutus' line that Data would be "obsolete in the new order".

Obviously this may have been revised by FC, and the Borg's efforts to assimilate/turn Data. Possibly because Data's meddling around in BoBW helped thwart them there.
   Profile |  

ShadowSonic
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007-07-10 01:05pm 

Padawan Learner


Joined: 2007-01-18 01:15pm
Posts: 328
I think they had a disdain for Data because he was a "Primitive" artifical organism, maybe if he was more advanced or made by Borg technology they'd have considered him worthwhile from the start.
   Profile |  

Flagg
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007-07-10 05:10pm 

CUNTS FOR EYES!


Joined: 2005-06-09 09:56pm
Posts: 8684
Location: The Great, Green Pacific Northwest! It's Raining...
Baal wrote:
Flagg wrote:
I don't know that the Borg could ever really do it without somehow freezing their ability to shapeshift. I mean the founders are able to fool Federation, Klingon, Romulan, and Cardassian sensors and scanning technology, including medical equipment. Right down to the blood cells at least. I think if ever at war with the Dominion, the Borg would simply try to completely wipe the founders out.


As for Data, I think the Borg could probably assimilate him easily if they chose to. IIRC we've seen Data interface with Starfleet technology on more than one occasion and we know they Borg can interface with it from First Contact and Voyager. What it comes down to is whether or not Data can block access to his neural net, and if the Borg can get through that firewall without taking his "brain" apart piece by piece.


I always figured that when Data said he could not be assimilated it meant the Borg couldnt assimilate him and get all of him. Sure they may be able to take control of his body but the time and effort it would take would be more than enough time for Data to completely trash his own neural network. The Queen needed those lockdown codes. If you give Data even a millisecond of time during assimilation he would delete/overwrite/delete that could a few million times so that there was no way for the Borg Queen to get the data she needed.


He said it in First Contact, correct? I always assumed he was just scared shitless and in denial.
   Profile |  

Socar15
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007-07-10 05:28pm 

Redshirt


Joined: 2005-11-23 01:12am
Posts: 46
Flagg wrote:
He said it in First Contact, correct? I always assumed he was just scared shitless and in denial.


Data saying that was from before they reactivated his emotion chip, so him being scared shitless wasn't a factor at that point.
   Profile |  

Flagg
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007-07-10 05:34pm 

CUNTS FOR EYES!


Joined: 2005-06-09 09:56pm
Posts: 8684
Location: The Great, Green Pacific Northwest! It's Raining...
Socar15 wrote:
Flagg wrote:
He said it in First Contact, correct? I always assumed he was just scared shitless and in denial.


Data saying that was from before they reactivated his emotion chip, so him being scared shitless wasn't a factor at that point.


Hrm. I can see no reason why the Borg wouldn't be able to assimilate him unless he was somehow able to wipe his memory, so you're probably right.
   Profile |  

ShadowSonic
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007-07-10 05:43pm 

Padawan Learner


Joined: 2007-01-18 01:15pm
Posts: 328
He was either bluffing or was ready to commit "suicide" to keep the Borg from hacking his brain, but either way I'd say the Borg are quite capable of assimilating a Soong-type android.
   Profile |  

Stark
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007-07-10 06:02pm 

Emperor's Hand


Joined: 2002-07-03 09:56pm
Posts: 36168
Location: Brisbane, Australia
So instead of the obvious 'you guys can't deal with my positronic brain', you instead go with 'we're all retards and I want you to give it to me willingly oh wait you've killed us all'?

Show evidence they can extract data from a positronic brain, since the impression of everyone I've ever met is that they can't, which is why the Queen debased herself in such a pathetic display instead of just plugging a USB cable in. The Borg are cripplingly unimaginative, and nobody (even Data) in the Federation can work out how Data's brain works. Remember, the Borg are out-thought by Voyager's autodoc.
   Profile |  

OmniBack
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007-08-03 03:28pm 

BANNED


Joined: 2007-07-26 04:45pm
Posts: 22
brianeyci wrote:
The Dominion relies on weapons platforms on the home front, shielded huge weapons platforms strong enough to resist a whole Federation fleet.
A *single* Borg Cube is able to completely rape a Federation fleet.

brianeyci wrote:
Without their special adaptation defense, the Borg have nothing.
Well I've seen calcs that put that deflector shield at many GT.


Remember that last ditch effort the Ent-D did, and it had no effect... even without adaptation.

Which can be seen here at 1:39

I don't remember the Dominion having that kind of firepower.


brianeyci wrote:
It's not like the Borg one-shotted shit in ST:FC.
1:50 in the above video.
   Profile |  

Starglider
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007-08-03 04:51pm 

Miles Dyson


Joined: 2007-04-05 09:44pm
Posts: 7585
Location: Isle of Dogs
OmniBack wrote:
brianeyci wrote:
The Dominion relies on weapons platforms on the home front, shielded huge weapons platforms strong enough to resist a whole Federation fleet.
A *single* Borg Cube is able to completely rape a Federation fleet.


And a Voyager was able to destroy cubes with single shots in Endgame. Meanwhile the Dominion have lots of weapons platforms that don't rely on dicey technobabble to work. What's your point again?

OmniBack wrote:
Well I've seen calcs that put that deflector shield at many GT.


What calculations are those?

Quote:
Remember that last ditch effort the Ent-D did, and it had no effect...


If you mean the deflector dish trick, how does the failure of a piece of Federation technobabble improvised out of a GCS deflector dish demonstrate anything about Borg deflector shield strength?

Quote:
I don't remember the Dominion having that kind of firepower.


No, the Dominion are smart enough to rely on real weapons rather than last ditch messing about with their deflector dishes.
   Profile |  

OmniBack
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007-08-03 05:29pm 

BANNED


Joined: 2007-07-26 04:45pm
Posts: 22
Starglider wrote:
And a Voyager was able to destroy cubes with single shots in Endgame. Meanwhile the Dominion have lots of weapons platforms that don't rely on dicey technobabble to work. What's your point again?


So brianeyci states that the Dominion can hold their own/defeat the Borg because "The Dominion weapons platforms on the home front, shielded huge weapons platforms strong enough to resist a whole Federation fleet.", and I counter this with the fact that a single Borg cube can completely rape the same fleet and you want to know what the point is?





Starglider wrote:
What calculations are those?


Some calcs done by vivftp.

Starglider wrote:
If you mean the deflector dish trick, how does the failure of a piece of Federation technobabble improvised out of a GCS deflector dish demonstrate anything about Borg deflector shield strength?
Because that "technobabble" had a yield, and maybe you've heard of them?

That's how you know who has stronger weapons/shields!

Starglider wrote:
No, the Dominion are smart enough to rely on real weapons rather than last ditch messing about with their deflector dishes.
And this means what?

Jack shit!

It doesn't matter what they rely on you ass, if their "real weapons" aren't as powerful as that "last ditch messing about with their deflector dish" than who gives a shit?

That's like saying a "real weapon" that does one KT of damage will have more of an effect than a "last ditch messing about with their deflector dish" that does one MT of damage.


Do you see what your posting?
   Profile |  

brianeyci
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007-08-03 05:45pm 

Emperor's Hand


Joined: 2004-09-26 05:36pm
Posts: 9815
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Omniback, your kind of thinking is pretty stupid. Just because the Dominion can beat the Federation and the Borg can beat the Federation that doesn't mean the Borg can beat the Dominion. You sound like the kind of guy to make dumb "power rankings" of civilizations with x > y > z > a etc., with no regard to specific circumstances.

I will say that after Kane Starkiller's post I stopped posting, and it had to be weeks ago (or felt like it.) Because Kane is right, and the phased part is a trick. So the Dominion would probably get its ass raped, just not because of some kind of "firepower ladder."

EDIT: By the way I read back, because I didn't remember what I read weeks ago and I don't think I was so stupid as to claim what you said I claimed Omni. And I didn't. I brought up weapons platforms in response to transwarp, stating that weapons platforms are static defenses. I didn't bring them up to say that Dominion > Federation => Borg > Dominion. So you took my words out of context.
   Profile |  

Ghost Rider
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007-08-03 06:04pm 

Spirit of Vengeance


Joined: 2002-09-24 01:48pm
Posts: 27779
Location: DC...looking up from the gutters to the stars
I'll give dipshit one post to actually produce a calculation. And provide said math back up. If not, locking because he's not contributing anything beyond what's spewing out his ass.
   Profile |  

Starglider
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007-08-03 06:35pm 

Miles Dyson


Joined: 2007-04-05 09:44pm
Posts: 7585
Location: Isle of Dogs
OmniBrat wrote:
Because that "technobabble" had a yield, and maybe you've heard of them?


This has to be a deliberate troll, I can't believe someone would be stupid enough to not only cite the rantings of a banned troll as evidence, but then fail to even describe the 'yields' and 'calculations' their argument relies on when challenged. Sock puppet perhaps?

OmniBrat wrote:
I counter this with the fact that a single Borg cube can completely rape the same fleet and you want to know what the point is?


Yes. Opponent A smashed a Federation fleet until it was killed by technobabble. Opponent B did the same. Nothing is demonstrated about A vs B, though the Chintoka defences probably did more damage against more ships than that borg cube.
   Profile |  

Batman
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007-08-03 07:03pm 

Emperor's Hand


Joined: 2002-07-09 04:51am
Posts: 13161
Location: Looking for another drawer
OmniBack wrote:
Starglider wrote:
And a Voyager was able to destroy cubes with single shots in Endgame. Meanwhile the Dominion have lots of weapons platforms that don't rely on dicey technobabble to work. What's your point again?

So brianeyci states that the Dominion can hold their own/defeat the Borg because "The Dominion weapons platforms on the home front, shielded huge weapons platforms strong enough to resist a whole Federation fleet.", and I counter this with the fact that a single Borg cube can completely rape the same fleet and you want to know what the point is?

The term 'Yes' comes to mind. Because the Dominion beat that Federation fleet by what apparently was sheer brute force. The Borg cube beat the Feds via technobabble. So while the Dominion beating the Feds says something about their firepower, the Borg doing it does NOT.
Quote:
Starglider wrote:
What calculations are those?

Some calcs done by vivftp.

I note a distinct lack of numbers. Not that I'd consider vivftp a reliable source but that has already been pointed out.
Quote:
Starglider wrote:
If you mean the deflector dish trick, how does the failure of a piece of Federation technobabble improvised out of a GCS deflector dish demonstrate anything about Borg deflector shield strength?
Because that "technobabble" had a yield, and maybe you've heard of them?

How convenient that you provided not only the yield but also the way it was determined, then. Oh wait, you didn't, which is unsurprising since it is IMPOSSIBLE to quantify the BoBW swiss-army-deflector event, what with it resulting in NOTHING WHATSOEVER.
Quote:
That's how you know who has stronger weapons/shields!

A pity that can't be done for the swiss-army-deflector event. You're a lying little shit.
Quote:
Starglider wrote:
No, the Dominion are smart enough to rely on real weapons rather than last ditch messing about with their deflector dishes.
And this means what?

It means the Dominion beating a Fed fleet says something about their firepower while the Borg winning via technobabble doesn't.
Quote:
It doesn't matter what they rely on you ass, if their "real weapons" aren't as powerful as that "last ditch messing about with their deflector dish" than who gives a shit?

People who realize that the swiss-army-deflector dish doesn't say beans about the resilience of the Borg while those 'real weapons' DO say something about Dominion firepower.
Quote:
That's like saying a "real weapon" that does one KT of damage will have more of an effect than a "last ditch messing about with their deflector dish" that does one MT of damage.

Too bad there's no evidence for that swiss-army-deflector dish doing ANY DAMAGE WHATSOEVER AT ALL.
   Profile |  

OmniBack
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007-08-04 12:01am 

BANNED


Joined: 2007-07-26 04:45pm
Posts: 22
brianeyci wrote:
Omniback, your kind of thinking is pretty stupid. Just because the Dominion can beat the Federation and the Borg can beat the Federation that doesn't mean the Borg can beat the Dominion.
That's not what I've said at all.

brianeyci wrote:
Because Kane is right, and the phased part is a trick.
What are you talking about?

brianeyci wrote:
So the Dominion would probably get its ass raped, just not because of some kind of "firepower ladder."
Again, what are you talking about?

brianeyci wrote:
EDIT: By the way I read back, because I didn't remember what I read weeks ago and I don't think I was so stupid as to claim what you said I claimed Omni. And I didn't. I brought up weapons platforms in response to transwarp, stating that weapons platforms are static defenses.
What you posted is clear for all to see, don't back out of it now.

brianeyci wrote:
I didn't bring them up to say that Dominion > Federation => Borg > Dominion. So you took my words out of context.
I did no such thing, its there to read plain as day.

Ghost Rider wrote:
I'll give dipshit one post to actually produce a calculation. And provide said math back up. If not, locking because he's not contributing anything beyond what's spewing out his ass.
Fuck off, and as far as calcs go here: http://forums.spacebattles.com/archive/index.php/t-73155.html, this is an older calc and I'm still looking for a newer one done a few months ago.

DickLicker wrote:
OmniBrat wrote:
Because that "technobabble" had a yield, and maybe you've heard of them?


DickLicker wrote:
This has to be a deliberate troll, I can't believe someone would be stupid enough to not only cite the rantings of a banned troll as evidence,

He's not known as a troll on SB.com, what was he banned for and why call him a troll?


And banned or not, that doesn't invalidate his math, etc.

DickLicker wrote:
but then fail to even describe the 'yields' and 'calculations' their argument relies on when challenged.
That is a lie, I supplied it when challenged, so piss off.

DickLicker wrote:
Yes. Opponent A smashed a Federation fleet until it was killed by technobabble. Opponent B did the same. Nothing is demonstrated about A vs B, though the Chintoka defences probably did more damage against more ships than that borg cube.
What the hell are you bullshiting about now?

All I'm saying is that merely saying that the Dominion weapons platforms defeated Federation fleets isn't that impressive when a *single* Borg cube has done the same.


Batman wrote:
You're a lying little shit.

Too bad there's no evidence for that swiss-army-deflector dish doing ANY DAMAGE WHATSOEVER AT ALL.


See above, and I just PM'd viv I'm waiting for his reply.
   Profile |  

Ghost Rider
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007-08-04 10:07am 

Spirit of Vengeance


Joined: 2002-09-24 01:48pm
Posts: 27779
Location: DC...looking up from the gutters to the stars
Flushing because the idiot doesn't grasp, that viv did nothing that could be considered math. He pulled dialogue numbers and went from there.
   Profile |  

Surlethe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007-08-04 10:55am 

HATES GRADING


Joined: 2004-12-29 04:41pm
Posts: 12165
Location: Hiding a pot of gold at the end of the Ricci flow
Hey, OmniBack, you should be able to repeat vivftp's argument for yourself instead of simply pointing to it and going "looky there!" Otherwise, your "argument" borders quite closely on the appeal to authority.
   Profile |  

OmniBack
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007-08-04 12:41pm 

BANNED


Joined: 2007-07-26 04:45pm
Posts: 22
Surlethe wrote:
Hey, OmniBack, you should be able to repeat vivftp's argument for yourself instead of simply pointing to it and going "looky there!" Otherwise, your "argument" borders quite closely on the appeal to authority.


That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard, you're an idiot.

Why should I have to perform my own calc, when I can past someone elses?


Where's the difference?


You're still getting numbers and the math that shows how they were formed.



By your logic math teachers should conduct all their classes with no textbooks.
   Profile |  

OmniBack
 Post subject: PM from vivftp.
PostPosted: 2007-08-04 12:47pm 

BANNED


Joined: 2007-07-26 04:45pm
Posts: 22
I'm following your discussion on SDN about this. I will only say this
once. The calc is NOT valid. If you note, in the original post it was
just a "for the hell of it" sort of deal. For whatever reason after that
it kinda stuck and cropped up in several additional threads over the
years, but I don't support the calc as being valid, and have noted so in a
few of those threads.

Again, the calc is NOT valid and if you don't mind, I'd like you to
tell them this over there. Either just tell them or please copy and paste
this reply.
   Profile |  

Havok
 Post subject: Re: PM from vivftp.
PostPosted: 2007-08-04 12:57pm 

Miscreant


Joined: 2005-07-02 10:41pm
Posts: 12369
Location: Oakland CA
OmniBack wrote:
I'm following your discussion on SDN about this. I will only say this
once. The calc is NOT valid. If you note, in the original post it was
just a "for the hell of it" sort of deal. For whatever reason after that
it kinda stuck and cropped up in several additional threads over the
years, but I don't support the calc as being valid, and have noted so in a
few of those threads.

Again, the calc is NOT valid and if you don't mind, I'd like you to
tell them this over there. Either just tell them or please copy and paste
this reply.


So, is this a concession? :?:
   Profile |  

Surlethe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007-08-04 12:58pm 

HATES GRADING


Joined: 2004-12-29 04:41pm
Posts: 12165
Location: Hiding a pot of gold at the end of the Ricci flow
OmniBack wrote:
Surlethe wrote:
Hey, OmniBack, you should be able to repeat vivftp's argument for yourself instead of simply pointing to it and going "looky there!" Otherwise, your "argument" borders quite closely on the appeal to authority.


That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard, you're an idiot.

Why should I have to perform my own calc, when I can past someone elses?


You're a moron with the reading comprehension of a chimpanzee. You should be able to understand and repeat the argument instead of doing nothing but linking to the calculations.

Quote:
By your logic math teachers should conduct all their classes with no textbooks.


No, by my logic math teachers should be able to teach the class instead of pointing to the textbook and saying "Pages 252-257. Read and learn", and then sitting back and drinking a tequila.
   Profile |  

General Schatten
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007-08-04 03:05pm 

Sith Acolyte


Joined: 2006-07-25 09:32am
Posts: 5445
Location: Beverly, WV
OmniBack wrote:
He's not known as a troll on SB.com, what was he banned for and why call him a troll?


Many of our rejects go to Spacebattles to become community members of 'good standing' which I view as evidence of SB being inherently inferior, but that's neither here nor there. But to quote Edi on Vivftp in his ban thread (If you weren't so stupid as to be incapable of using search), 'He has a track record of passive-aggressive bullshit, wall of ignorance, broken record debating and he has directly stated he has no interest in learning anything or improving himself.'
   Profile |  

Dalton
 Post subject: Re: PM from vivftp.
PostPosted: 2007-08-04 03:12pm 

For Those About to Rock We Salute You


Joined: 2002-07-03 06:16pm
Posts: 21798
Location: Noo Yawk
OmniBack wrote:
I'm following your discussion on SDN about this. I will only say this
once. The calc is NOT valid. If you note, in the original post it was
just a "for the hell of it" sort of deal. For whatever reason after that
it kinda stuck and cropped up in several additional threads over the
years, but I don't support the calc as being valid, and have noted so in a
few of those threads.

Again, the calc is NOT valid and if you don't mind, I'd like you to
tell them this over there. Either just tell them or please copy and paste
this reply.

If your only purpose here is to act as the mouthpiece of a banned user, then why should we let you stay?
   Profile |  

OmniBack
 Post subject: Re: PM from vivftp.
PostPosted: 2007-08-04 03:28pm 

BANNED


Joined: 2007-07-26 04:45pm
Posts: 22
Dalton wrote:
If your only purpose here is to act as the mouthpiece of a banned user, then why should we let you stay?
Fuck you.


I'm not acting as a mouth piece for anyone, I simply cited a calc done by another poster to use in this debate.


And that user asked me to post that, saying he didn't support the calc.




So far all you assholes have done is talk shit about how he's a troll who got banned, and how I'm stupid for posting someone else's calc instead of doing my own (which is a load of crap, you fucking retards)... are any of you going to actually debate the issue or not.



So far none of you have shown the slightest ability to carry on a rational debate, and have shown no reason as to why the Dominion would beat the Collective.

Also as an aside, that isn't even the point of this thread (Can a/the Drone/Collective assimilate a Founder?).
   Profile |  

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Post a reply  Page 2 of 3
 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

It is currently 2014-04-18 02:40pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Board index » Gallery » Parting Shots

Who is online: Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group