Fanfiction.net: the good bits

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

RazeByFire
Redshirt

Re:

Post by RazeByFire »

technomage wrote:Here's a good read Tempora Mutantur Et Nos Mutamur In

Long title, and I have no idea what it means, not to mention an author's summary that is deliberately obtuse, but it's still good. To summarize: The Federation gets a major wakeup call, and then the Federation grows a pair. Not to mention, this story has the best explanation I've seen for the Federation's transformation from the ass-kicking capitalist democracy of TOS to the emasculated communist state of TNG.
Anyone have a link for this that works? I remember reading some of it, I think on this site actually.
Heatherine
Redshirt

Re: Fanfiction.net: the good bits

Post by Heatherine »

Edit
Last edited by Heatherine on 2010-08-11 08:43am, edited 1 time in total.
Buritot
Youngling

Post by Buritot »

A quick search didn't bring results, so here I post one of my favourite fanfics of all time: Fire's Teineina Tenshi No Teze (a mirror, the original source went down).
The gist of it: Ranma (Ranma 1/2) shares Rei's (Neon Genesis Evangelion) body. When one is in control, the other piggy rides the consciousness and sensations. The curse is the switch - Ranma is male and the mostly usual self, whereas Rei is female with no other changes, The setting is NGE with angels and stuff. What makes me love this story is its casual humour and excellent characterisation. I have probably read it half a dozen times, each in one go, and excerpts far more often, yet I can still laugh at the funny parts and be moved by the sentimental ones. The inner dialogue of Rei and Ranma moves me to giggle fits and sometimes right out laughing. On the other hand the little changes in both' demeanour speaks volumes.
Just one example - while Rei always does what she's ordered to she later switches over to also doing what she hasn't been explicitly ordered not to do - she questions and interprets her orders.

If there was a physical embodiment of this story somewhere out there, I'd hug the living daylights out of it. And I wouldn't put it behind me to hire a PI sometime in the future to find the author so he will finally write a finale for the story.

PS: The title in English is Kind Angel's Thesis.

PPS: The story is about 200 pages.
~Buritot
BRAN! The Morning Meal for Dyslexic Zombies!
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

Three crossovers I love.

The Dark Lords of Nerima, a Ranma 1/2/Sailor Moon crossover: a stray youma, on the run from both the Sailor Senshi and a Jadeite pissed at her failure, found a protector. A boy called Ryoga. God help us!
Lord Ranma, Ranma 1/2/Sailor Moon again: after Ranma met the Sailor Senshi and killed a youma before their eyes, the probabilities to realize Crystal Tokyo decreased by 0.3%, and Sailor Pluto didn't appreciated. And after many failed attempts at getting rid of him, the exausted Time Guardian dropped the newborn Ranma in the Dark Kingdom three seconds before Queen Serenity sealed it away for some millennia, so to have him eaten by a youma. Millennia later, the Dark Kingdom armies would be led by FIVE generals...
A Godfather in Gotham: il padrino di Hermione Granger è il Bruce Wayne dei nuovi film di Batman. Ed è un padrino molto affezionato, a modo suo...
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Alright, there was a fic-of-sorts I read, I think at fanfiction.net. It consisted of a series of little stories that all went on the same theme of "nBSG crossover with ______; hilarity ensues and toasters go splodey." Humor, obviously, but I can't remember the title of it and I want to read it again. Anybody remember what it was? It was fun.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Oh, yeah. Written by someone I know.

First contact.

He also wrote an excellent BSG/Andromeda crossover, which sadly is still unfinished.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Darth Paxis
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Paxis »

I've found that this story is good. It sets up a retelling of the Harry Potter series where Harry was raised by Batman's Rogue gallery, with the Joker and Harley Quinn being his "parents".

Two's a Crowd: The Beginning

Superman in the GFFA, done seriously.

Legacy of the Red Sun
KAC-WG

Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Thanas wrote:Oh, yeah. Written by someone I know.

First contact.

He also wrote an excellent BSG/Andromeda crossover, which sadly is still unfinished.
Yes! Thank you! That had been bugging me for three days!
[line 2]

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

Discovered an example of cruelty against novel characters: Worldwar: Discovering the Balance. In which Atvar's Conquest Fleet arrived on Earth in 2001. And it wasn't our Earth, but SG1 Earth.
Heatherine
Redshirt

Post by Heatherine »

lord Martiya wrote:Discovered an example of cruelty against novel characters: Worldwar: Discovering the Balance. In which Atvar's Conquest Fleet arrived on Earth in 2001. And it wasn't our Earth, but SG1 Earth.
Hehe, I thought you said that Avatar's Conquest Fleet had arrived on SG1 Earth! ^^ I thought that sounded pretty fun!
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

No, it's Atvar, fleetlord tasked to invade Earth. They expected to find Richard Lionheart and Fredrick I of the Holy Roman Empire, and instead found the armies of the World War II. You should read the Worldwar novels.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Or maybe don't read them. They were entertaining enough to me when I was in seventh grade, but I was freaking twelve then and that was a stupid age. We could just give a summation of the series in a couple paragraphs and save you several thousand pages. And speaking of, Turtledove must've hired the same editor that Ayn Rand did, considering the editor was completely absent. There was a lot of padding that should've been cut out.

Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

No, don't read those books. Seriously, leave it alone. It's just so monumentally stupid that it doesn't bear reading. Then again, most sci-fi these days is that way to one degree or another.

And for a good read, I'll have to go with Egg Belly today. It's a Negima fic, set a few years in the future of the series and it's quite enjoyable, especially if you like a bit of girl on girl. :p
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Mayabird wrote:Or maybe don't read them. They were entertaining enough to me when I was in seventh grade, but I was freaking twelve then and that was a stupid age. We could just give a summation of the series in a couple paragraphs and save you several thousand pages. And speaking of, Turtledove must've hired the same editor that Ayn Rand did, considering the editor was completely absent. There was a lot of padding that should've been cut out.
One of his other alt-history series could have also used some trimming. The one were the American Civil War drags on. One of the books was called Guns of the South, if I remember correctly.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

[R_H] wrote:
Mayabird wrote:Or maybe don't read them. They were entertaining enough to me when I was in seventh grade, but I was freaking twelve then and that was a stupid age. We could just give a summation of the series in a couple paragraphs and save you several thousand pages. And speaking of, Turtledove must've hired the same editor that Ayn Rand did, considering the editor was completely absent. There was a lot of padding that should've been cut out.
One of his other alt-history series could have also used some trimming. The one were the American Civil War drags on. One of the books was called Guns of the South, if I remember correctly.
All of his work needs to be 'trimmed' extensively...
drakensis
Padawan Learner

Post by drakensis »

[R_H] wrote:
Guns of the South is a standalone and - aside from merits that can and will be disputed vigorously - is perhaps half the size of the typical Turtledove brick.

I believe that the series you are refering to is sometimes referred to as Timeline-191, which starts with How Few Remain and proceeds through two trilogies and a quadrilogy from the Second War Between States in the 1880s to a very different World War II.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

drakensis wrote:
Guns of the South is a standalone and - aside from merits that can and will be disputed vigorously - is perhaps half the size of the typical Turtledove brick.

I believe that the series you are refering to is sometimes referred to as Timeline-191, which starts with How Few Remain and proceeds through two trilogies and a quadrilogy from the Second War Between States in the 1880s to a very different World War II.
I was mistaken, it is Timeline-191 I was referring to. I think I've only read the quadrilogy and not the previous three books.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Aw crap, I managed to hijack the thread. Do we want to continue this (by me cutting out everything about Turtledove and moving it elsewhere) or just stop with it?

montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

If this hasn't been mentioned before, here's a good read:

The Road to Cydonia

This fic is a Ranma 1/2 and X-Com crossover, it may seem like a strange combination at first (it was the first time reading it) but the story is excellent.
1234q1234q
Redshirt

Post by 1234q1234q »

First a straight Star Trek story.

Avenger - Last Voyage of the Avenger

A competent captain from Kirk’s era is sent forward in time, by an anomaly, to the dominion war. The space battles and tactics are decent; however the clash of viewpoints between the eras is well done and adds much to the story.

The author also has two other longer stories and a number of short stories that are based on the Nightbane universe. The stories are entertaining and although there are vampires there is no relation to the shit of Twilight. No glittering vampires, just heavy caliber bullets to the face and dismemberment.

http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Stories.html
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

That story, Last Avenger at least, was also posted on the SDN fanfic forum; here. I remember reading and comment on it
1234q1234q
Redshirt

Post by 1234q1234q »

I looked at your link and it is the same story, but it's missing chapters 8 and 9. However, it is finished on the authors website.
RazeByFire
Redshirt

Post by RazeByFire »

Crazedwraith wrote:That story, Last Avenger at least, was also posted on the SDN fanfic forum; here. I remember reading and comment on it
It's a good story but it could definitely use some polish. I also wanted it to be longer and include some Federation officers going renegade to the Maquis, but we can't always get what we want.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

I'm currently reading Red In Tooth And Claw, a nBSG/Halo crossover. Interesting take on the Cylon God.
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

I think I have a couple of good fanfic to suggest.
The Thin Grey Line: Breaking the Oath, on Robotech and Babylon 5. Brief summary: to stop the war against the Haydonites, Earth renounced to Protoculture and the Tirolian-derived technology, but hid some ships and weapons, just in case. Two hundred years later, the genocidal crusade of the Minbari prove itself as that case.
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, on... Well, you know it from the title. Brief summary: Petunia Evans did NOT marry Vernon Dursley but the rationalist scientist Michael Verres. The couple adopted Harry. Now Hogwarts must prepare to face an overrationalist and just too intelligent Harry Potter with the bad habit to think and experiment too much. Yes, too much, for, as you'll see, there's a limit that decency suggests we should never pass. Spoiler
McGonagall slowly turned to look at Harry, her expression chilly. "I leave you alone for five minutes. Five minutes, Mr. Potter, by the very clock."

"I was only joking around," Harry protested, as the sounds of hysterical laughter went on nearby.

"Draco Malfoy said in front of his father that he wanted to be sorted into Gryffindor! Joking around isn't enough to do that!" McGonagall paused, breathing heavily. "What part of 'get fitted for robes' sounded to you like please cast a Confundus Charm on the entire universe!?"

"He was in an environmental context where those actions made internal sense -"

"No. Don't explain. I don't want to know what happened in here. Ever. There are some things I was not meant to know, and this is one of them. Whatever demonic force of chaos inhabits you, it is contagious, and I don't want to end up like poor Draco Malfoy, poor Madam Malkin and her two poor assistants."
After reading THAT, I understood that my fanfictions on Harry's alternative guardians (namely an outrageously powerful, extremely irritable and irritated, very emotional completely merciless high daylight walker vampiress in the first and a mercenary woman whose concept of 'preventing love declarations in a set zone' is 'shooting everybody who try and declare his love there with .50 BMG 'tranquillizer' rounds') are not the evilest around.