Self Insert recomendations?

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

Self Insert recomendations?

Post by Gurgeh »

So I am new here and I am not sure if I am putting this in the right area but I was wondering does anyone know any that are good? I am looking for self inserts that involve 1. A random high schooler/person/military unit/ that gets transported to some fantasy relm that is usually along the lines of Avatar the last airbender, Lord of the rings, Chronicles of Narnia, POTC, and other fantasy based worlds. The only reason why I like to read them are the Technology shok basically where the characters from our world show off some of our modern technology to the natives. Does anyone know any good fanfics that are like that? I want them to be long and well writen and I want to see if the main character does not end up being a Mary Sue. But does anyone know any good SI?
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Re: Self Insert recomendations?

Post by evilsoup »

Self-inserts are by definition terrible, especially in fanfiction. I think the term you are looking for is 'Original Character'.

If you don't mind about the setting, I'm sure you could find some kind of 'fish-out-of-water' story at your local library. I recommend A Connecticut Yankee in the Court of King Arthur.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Sleeping With The Girls Vol I: Fictional Reality by Admiral Tigerclaw.
No, it's not what it sounds like. Every time the main character goes to sleep he wakes up in a different universe. In the bed of one of his favorite female characters. He likes tsunderes. There is some tech shock in several of the worlds. There's also a sequel. Spoiler
After a few worlds he starts back at the first one and realizes that he's going in a loop through the same set of worlds each time. So he sets to work fixing the problems he's made, generally trying to help the good guys in each world he goes to and trying to get the kit and skills he need not to be squished by all the super-powered folks running around.
Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

Post by Gurgeh »

darthdavid wrote:Sleeping With The Girls Vol I: Fictional Reality by Admiral Tigerclaw.
No, it's not what it sounds like. Every time the main character goes to sleep he wakes up in a different universe. In the bed of one of his favorite female characters. He likes tsunderes. There is some tech shock in several of the worlds. There's also a sequel. Spoiler
After a few worlds he starts back at the first one and realizes that he's going in a loop through the same set of worlds each time. So he sets to work fixing the problems he's made, generally trying to help the good guys in each world he goes to and trying to get the kit and skills he need not to be squished by all the super-powered folks running around.
I actually know tigerclaw from forums.spacebattles.com the story is there as well.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Have you ever read the works of ContraBardus (used to be CarrotGlace)? He does some decent SI stuff...
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

darthdavid wrote:Have you ever read the works of ContraBardus (used to be CarrotGlace)? He does some decent SI stuff...
No, he does not. He does some semi-fun stuff that is not absolutely terrible and that's it.

As far as self-insertions go, Being Gilderoy Lockhart remains the best SI fic I've ever encountered. YMMV.
Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

Post by Gurgeh »

Murazor wrote:
darthdavid wrote:Have you ever read the works of ContraBardus (used to be CarrotGlace)? He does some decent SI stuff...
No, he does not. He does some semi-fun stuff that is not absolutely terrible and that's it.

As far as self-insertions go, Being Gilderoy Lockhart remains the best SI fic I've ever encountered. YMMV.
I am not a Harry Potter fan or a Twilight fan or any kind of fan that is into the teen novels I think I should have said that in the OP but oh well.
usagihunter101
Redshirt

Post by usagihunter101 »

I highly suggest the 1632 series. (The publisher has made a number of the books available free starting here.)

A cosmic accident sends a circa-2000 Kentucky mining town back in time to 1632 Germany. They proceed to kick ass and build America a few hundred years early.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

usagihunter101 wrote:I highly suggest the 1632 series. (The publisher has made a number of the books available free starting here.)

A cosmic accident sends a circa-2000 Kentucky mining town back in time to 1632 Germany. They proceed to kick ass and build America a few hundred years early.
They're fun if you know absolutely nothing about Europe of that time. But, the more you know, the more absurd and implausible 1632 gets.
Nuts!
Redshirt

Post by Nuts! »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:
usagihunter101 wrote:I highly suggest the 1632 series. (The publisher has made a number of the books available free starting here.)

They're fun if you know absolutely nothing about Europe of that time. But, the more you know, the more absurd and implausible 1632 gets.
I knew very little about 1600s-era Europe, and enjoyed the shit out of those books. Decent characters, a plausible idea, some good antagonists and interesting cultural divides - all around, a good read. I'd only recommend the first couple of books - 1632, 1633, and The Baltic War - because after that the quality drops off tremendously. Link: http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/23-T ... rnFrontCD/

Then again, that isn't really self-insert fiction. Off the top of my head, I can't remember an SI story that didn't read like I was grinding sandpaper over my eyes. I'm not opposed to the idea completely, but I think it's tough as hell to write properly, and there are a couple of SI fics on my hard drive that will never make it to the Internet b/c of the usual reaction to them.
Convicted for arson, murder, and writing bad fanfiction.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I'd argue that you've got it exactly backwards- the first few novels are full of painful excess and effortless triumph for all things American even when it's unearned. And that tones down in the later novels when Flint wound up consulting with people who actually had some knowledge about the period and wanted to bring him back down to Earth.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov