A (fanfic related) question for the board.

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Would you be instrested on seeing this?

Poll ended at 2016-10-24 05:42pm

Yes
88%
No
13%

Total votes: 8

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

A (fanfic related) question for the board.

Post by Lord Revan »

As you probably know (as I made a thread about it a while back), I'm working on a STO foundry mission involving the species my UFP engineering character belongs to, I am planning on making a fic depicting the mission from the point of view of the 23c characters (it also involves timetravel you see) to help me make the story flow well and make sense, so my question is would you be intrested in seeing this (obviously the finished version not the "work in progress version") or shall I keep it to myself.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: A (fanfic related) question for the board.

Post by Sea Skimmer »

If you want useful opinions you should try offering a 1-3 sentence abstract of the actual story line.

Personally though the fact that you already mentioned time travel...is an interest killer. That's a very fine line to walk, between the time travel just being pointless, and conversely it simply negating large portions of the story by changing everything depending on which way you want to go on that.

But that's a very difficult problem with Trek in general, they have so much implausible technology they can bullshit out of a single ship that it's hard to come up with plots that aren't negated from the get go. The franchise sorta ran into the ground on this problem (can't keep dialing up the tech)...reboooted...and then shit right back into it when they literally cured DEATH in Into Darkness. Trek is a great place for simple problems, but it bogs down fast. Of course with the right execution anything can make a good story.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yes, any time travel is a very tricky thing- you're making it that much harder to write a coherent, meaningful, intelligent plot. It can be done well, but it inherently adds to the difficulties of the author.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing a good fanfic in the Star Trek Online 'verse.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Sea Skimmer wrote:If you want useful opinions you should try offering a 1-3 sentence abstract of the actual story line.

Personally though the fact that you already mentioned time travel...is an interest killer. That's a very fine line to walk, between the time travel just being pointless, and conversely it simply negating large portions of the story by changing everything depending on which way you want to go on that.

But that's a very difficult problem with Trek in general, they have so much implausible technology they can bullshit out of a single ship that it's hard to come up with plots that aren't negated from the get go. The franchise sorta ran into the ground on this problem (can't keep dialing up the tech)...reboooted...and then shit right back into it when they literally cured DEATH in Into Darkness. Trek is a great place for simple problems, but it bogs down fast. Of course with the right execution anything can make a good story.
far as the story for mission goes is that the player is sent to investigate an anomaly that will throw them to the 2260s-2270s (after Balance of Power but before TMP) and will discover that anomaly was a Na'kuhl temporal portal and will have to stop the Na'kulh from preventing a trade/diplomatic treaty, while trying to make sure that events go roughly as they're suppose to, kind of like in the DS9 aniversery episode.

the I'm planning here would tell that story from the point of view of the 23c allies of the PC.

oh and the time travel was a way to make the story "meaningful" while still set in the past as it sort of involves the backstory for my eng character in a broad sense as it's her species that's involved in the treaty I talked about.

EDIT:I'm aware of the problems with timetravel hence I'm trying to make as unimportant part of the story as possible (aka keeping the Na'kulh as essentially as "alien of the week" with their timetravel tech not having a major importance in the story)
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

One of the core conceits of the Agents of Yesterday story arc is that Na'kuhl temporal incursions have taken place throughout history, but that they all seem to have been launched more or less simultaneously and in parallel- with the result that their massively parallel defeats created the present timeline which is rather unfavorable to the Na'kuhl.

This is true to such an extent that you can make a case that the very disaster which led the Na'kuhl to want to alter time is the consequence of their own actions. The Tholians snuffed out their star in the 25th century, you see... but that was 150 years or so AFTER a Na'kuhl time raider launched an attack on a Tholian colony fleet. Federation Temporal Affairs partially neutralized the attack, but enough damage was done that the Tholians have every reason to be deeply, profoundly angry at the Na'kuhl.

So the premise is, in effect, that we already live in a stable timeline that is itself the aftermath of a time war between the Na'kuhl and various far-future powers... which the Na'kuhl lost, badly.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Well I suppose 8 votes is enough intrest either way so I'll consider doing this once the foundry is back up from the recent patch.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I'm still working on this if anyone is intrested, oh and I could use a recomendation for the name of the main connie ship in the story, I used "Franklin" but I'm not sure if that's good name so I'm open for (serious) suggestions.