OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Re: SDN Weight Watchers, Thread the Second

Post by The Spartan »

Dark Flame wrote:
Do. Not. Snack.
Really? I've always thought that (healthy) snacking throughout the day helps to keep your metabolism going so you're burning more calories all the time. However, if you're going to do that then I would recommend keeping track of it, and sticking to your plan. Perhaps make up for the extra food by eating smaller meals, or with more excercise.
I'm operating under the assumption that since his mother bought all the food and that this alarms him that there's probably not a lot of snacks in the house that are healthy. It's better to plan everything out in advance.

Also, to be honest, I'm sort of playing semantics without initially realizing it. I don't "snack" I eat 3 normal meals and 3 small meals which are, arguably snacks. Sorry, I forget that I do that sometimes.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Has anyone heard of sparkpeople.com? It's a sort of myspace for losing weight. It has a comprehensive diet and exercise regimen with allowances for custom food.

Me and the GF are starting out on it, and were curious if anyone tried it.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

:D

The more weight I lose the more I'm convinced that losing weight is not a physical challenge at all and I find myself (Perhaps wrongly) disliking and/or disbelieving people who say they cannot lose weight. I did it, I'm still doing it - I'm barely trying. Just don't eat garbage that you know is bad for you. Don't be stupid - you know what's bad for you, and stop making kriffing excuses - "I didn't have time" isn't an excuse - I work full time and I have a 2 year old and I eat healthy without fixing extravagant ultra-healthy meals.

Or maybe I'm just grumpy because I'm hungry. :lol:
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

So, I've made 4 consecutive weeks of attending meetings and I'm really starting to feel the motivation (I was down 1 pound this week :) ) I seem to lose interest in the points-recording though I understand academically that that is the most important part. Also, I appreciated an article Mike posted on this board showing that a huge part of obesity is self-control, or a lack there-of. I find it comforting to know that at the bottom-line it's "all up to me".
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

Chardok :finger: and that's from the heart.

194, so I didn't gain much from the previous week so that's good. I am about to have some pizza (don't judge me).
Get some
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Just a FYI - The iPhone has a pretty cool calorie tracker called "Lose it!". Like the name suggests you enter whatever you eat into a daily log. It helps you realize just how many calories you're taking it.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:Just a FYI - The iPhone has a pretty cool calorie tracker called "Lose it!". Like the name suggests you enter whatever you eat into a daily log. It helps you realize just how many calories you're taking it.
Thanks! That looks really useful.
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Thank goodness my weight loss has slowed down to something akin to normal. I was getting a tad worried.
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Man, when I get under 200 I'm going to squee like an 11 year old girl at a Jonas Brother's concert.
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

Is it normal for weight to crash when you are under high stress? I have lost 7 lbs in a week, and that doesn't seem healthy, but I'm not doing anything different than when I was losing 1 lb a week.

Should I contact a doctor?
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Jason L. Miles wrote:Is it normal for weight to crash when you are under high stress? I have lost 7 lbs in a week, and that doesn't seem healthy, but I'm not doing anything different than when I was losing 1 lb a week.

Should I contact a doctor?
It's not healthy, but if that's all you get then it's OK (well, sort of). If you get sustained weightloss like that (ie for another week) then see a doc.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Chardok wrote:201

Man, when I get under 200 I'm going to squee like an 11 year old girl at a Jonas Brother's concert.
I did that when I hit 212 last year. My goal had been 215, but to see 212 come up on the scale was magic. I celebrated by going for a 3 mile walk with my dog.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

okay - so 201 Must've been a fluke - it was before my morning shit and AFTER I'd had some drinks. That said, this morning, at 7:02 AM April 29th, 2009, I have OFFICIALLY, (witnessed by two co-workers) broken 200 pounds - (Verified by repeated weigh ins on both the carpet-y stuff in the office and the linoleum in the break room)

You lot have never known me to weigh this little.

Welcome to the 1's Mr. Chardok!

199.5!
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Congrats Chardok.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Chardok wrote:okay - so 201 Must've been a fluke - it was before my morning shit and AFTER I'd had some drinks. That said, this morning, at 7:02 AM April 29th, 2009, I have OFFICIALLY, (witnessed by two co-workers) broken 200 pounds - (Verified by repeated weigh ins on both the carpet-y stuff in the office and the linoleum in the break room)

You lot have never known me to weigh this little.

Welcome to the 1's Mr. Chardok!

199.5!
You should do some before and after pictures if you have some available...
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

I'm not a big guy, (around 162 cm tall), but I've been getting chubby and its sort of embarrassing.

I'm trying an exercise routine I heard about on the CBC Radio that involves three sets of 30 second sprints, with walking during the breaks to cool off.

I figure it takes me about 15 seconds to run a hundred metres, so I sprinted 200 m this morning. Unfortunately I kind of ran out of gas for the third sprint, so I didn't get to finish it, but I'll work up to that...

I'm also walking to places instead of driving where I can (the mall, for example, is about 3-5 km away IIRC.)

Oh, for reference, I'm presently about 68 kg, and I'm looking to get that down to around 60-65, or turn that into muscle if I can.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
frogcurry
Padawan Learner

Post by frogcurry »

I've lost 5.5 kgs since the start of the year. The best motivation I find is to keep a track of the calories I burn on runs (typically 5-600 cal in 30 mins at a time at the mo') and use that when thinking about food. I.e. a pizza (my old vice, 2000 calories) is 4 times my normal run to compensate. One run is already pretty hard work, so its a strong motivator to go for the healthy option. Once you start to think of once-pleasant food in terms of pain the desire to eat it goes right, right down.
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

196!

WOOO HOO! only 16 more pounds to go! Rockin'!
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Started at 177.5 lbs on April 23rd. Now under 167 lbs.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

-4.2 kilos so far, in 16 days or so. My target is -14 kilos.

As I suspected, all I had to do was stop consuming ten litres of coke and half a kilo of sweets every week. :) Although I may need smaller meals as well to get below 80kg.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I put on 3.5 while injured. Diet and training readjusted.
Eldalote
Youngling

Post by Eldalote »

First post here in this thread.

I haven't done any sports before January, and at that time I used to eat a bag of chips each day...
Then I decided to join the Navy, and they have a fairy strict physical requirement.

I slowly started eating less (currently not snacking anything any more and eating healthy) and started exercising.
I am 1m97 long, and in January I weighed 112 kilos.

In the beginning I actually gained weight, going up to 115, due to muscle growth.

As I passed two of the three test for the navy (only the physical one remaining) I started doing more and more exercises. The last two weeks I went to the gym 6 times a week.
My current weight is 95 kilos.
Today, when watching myself in the mirror, I was actually pleased with what I saw for the first time in a long long time.
"Sumus Et Fore Speramus"
"Wij zijn en hopen te worden"
"We are and hope to become"
Korps Adelborsten
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Back up to 84kg. :x
Chardok