Rebellious Teens

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Rebellious Teens

Post by Montcalm »

This thread goes with the Punk Rock Concert Cancelled i posted yesterday.

What reason todays teen have to be "angry and rebellious" and go on a destruction craze? :?
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Brats.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Because they're angry little fucks.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

Self-righteous anger is fun. It makes one feel important, like God or Ted Danson.

I'm talking in general, not the specific example you gave.
delicious pies
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Teens dont have reasons to be violently rebellous. A little rebellion is a part of the growing process of seperating yourself from the world of childhood.

Being a teen is so overrated in my opinion. It is a tough place to be. Teens want adult priveliges but often dont quite comprehend the responsibilities that come with it.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Many teens are also trapped in a screwed up family and cannot escape. Many of them don't even understand that their family is screwed up, or that they are suffering abuse until they are adults.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Tis nothing different today than anyother time. Teens rebel to become their own person as opposed to the person their parents try to make them. Usually some where in the middle is where they end up.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Superman wrote:Many teens are also trapped in a screwed up family and cannot escape. Many of them don't even understand that their family is screwed up, or that they are suffering abuse until they are adults.
It is sad, I realize now as an adult that many of the punk ass bitches I went to high school and junior high school with were that way cause of a dysfunctional home life. I have a friend whose sister is a terrible mother. She simply cant deal with a teenager who has a mind of her own, she expects nothing but total obedience and goes out spends hundreds of dollars on shopping for herself but wont buy the kid new bed sheets.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Because of the fashions, recently, it seems to be considered fashionable to hang around in a collective, all wearing tracksuits and trying to be clever and tough with anyone who looks different (but not people of different skin colour, because that's racism, and they wouldnt want to be prejudiced now would they? :roll:

Or at least that's how it is in Newcastle these days... it's not everyone but it's enough to make it seem like that.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Knife wrote:Tis nothing different today than anyother time.
I disagree, alot of parents nowadays are either hippies or offsprings of hippies, i reckon that has probably lead to alot of stuff. Cos the lack of rules and stuff, maybe.
Teens rebel to become their own person as opposed to the person their parents try to make them. Usually some where in the middle is where they end up.
Yeah, i'd agree with that.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I disagree, alot of parents nowadays are either hippies or offsprings of hippies, i reckon that has probably lead to alot of stuff. Cos the lack of rules and stuff, maybe.
:roll: My mom was a hippie or as close to one as you can get. I didn't go on any massive rebellious state. My records clean and I've never gone to jail.

There has always been drugs, always been teenage sex, and has always been the 'wrong crowd'. Sorry to pop your bubble but shit is not any different today than 15 years ago when I was a kid or 50 years ago or....
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

I could probably say im going through a rebellious stage at teh moment, simple because i refuse to follow fashion... those people that dress up in track suits and stand on street corners trying to mug me can go to hell for all i care... they expect everyone to be like them... and that is wrong...

and then theres the opposite, goths, i don't get that... they say they are being indivdual, but theres loads of them... be yourself.

Thats my way of rebelling, lol
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
zombie84
Jedi Knight

Post by zombie84 »

1. Raging hormones. so there is a medical reason. Teens are very emotionally stable and often swing through different, often extreme, moods.
2. The independence and power factor. Teenage years are sort of the "coming of age" time--in many cultures, a boy became a man when he turned 13. This is because there is a large need for independence and self-power. However at a time when teens want indepenence the most, they find themselves being oppressed by parents and the law. It creates an anger and resentment. Teens also suffer through an identity crisis--this is the first time they are really discovering who they are, so there is a strong resentment in some when people try to shape them. So there are sociological reasons too.

Its a combination of those two things really. Some people rebel against the system their whole lives, and some are willing to just shut up and take it, its never always limited to teen rebellion. Also factor in stuff like peer pressure, alpha-male influence on groups and stuff like that, though the two factors i listed are the most basic and accurate answer.
I'll swallow your soul!
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Knife wrote:
:roll: My mom was a hippie or as close to one as you can get. I didn't go on any massive rebellious state. My records clean and I've never gone to jail.

There has always been drugs, always been teenage sex, and has always been the 'wrong crowd'. Sorry to pop your bubble but shit is not any different today than 15 years ago when I was a kid or 50 years ago or....
Damn..i wanted to blame it on the hippies. Damn hippies....
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Teenage rebellion is overrated. I know dozens of kids today who get along perfectly fine with their parents (except for the occaisonal psycho-mom I've run across, who's just impossible to deal with); there's no "rebelling", maybe a compromise here or there but hardly what I'd call a rebellion.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

Zac Naloen wrote:and then theres the opposite, goths, i don't get that... they say they are being indivdual, but theres loads of them... be yourself.
How exactly does the fact that there are many of them render it impossible to be Goth for any reason other than fitting in?
「かかっ―」
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

XaLEv wrote:
Zac Naloen wrote:and then theres the opposite, goths, i don't get that... they say they are being indivdual, but theres loads of them... be yourself.
How exactly does the fact that there are many of them render it impossible to be Goth for any reason other than fitting in?
my point is, being a goth has become a fashion of its own... its no longer different to dress in black and wear white make up...

they need to find another way of being individual.

im not saying there is anything wrong with being a goth, just that the reason for being so has gotten lost because of those who follow on and try to fit in. Leaving the ones truly expressing themselves out in the cold.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Teenage rebellion is overrated. I know dozens of kids today who get along perfectly fine with their parents (except for the occaisonal psycho-mom I've run across, who's just impossible to deal with); there's no "rebelling", maybe a compromise here or there but hardly what I'd call a rebellion.
Oh oh! Pick my mom! She's a fucking self-absorbed, never wrong, bitch who deserves to be run over by a semi...twice!
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
UltraViolence83
Jedi Master

Post by UltraViolence83 »

Teens rebel because it makes them feel self-righteous without actually doing anything. A fine byproduct of our anti-child labor laws.

And what's with the popularity of Good Charlotte and all the other pussy pseudo-punk "bands" out there? I've heard more threatening music from Vanilla Ice. They all sound like they inhale helium all day long and castrated themselves when they were twelve.
...This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old...ultraviolence.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

As a teenager (18 right now), Most of the people I know have little to rebel against, many of them have been raised by "soccer mums". So of course every whim is indulged. The only thing most of us have to rebel against is parents who push children too hard at school, but that's growing more and more common.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

UltraViolence83 wrote:And what's with the popularity of Good Charlotte and all the other pussy pseudo-punk "bands" out there? I've heard more threatening music from Vanilla Ice. They all sound like they inhale helium all day long and castrated themselves when they were twelve.
I too hate Good Charlotte, it's like corporate sponsored underground music. The loud guitars make people feel like they are rebelling.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

UltraViolence83 wrote:Teens rebel because it makes them feel self-righteous without actually doing anything. A fine byproduct of our anti-child labor laws.
Uh, I'm afraid you'll have to back that up.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Zac Naloen wrote:I could probably say im going through a rebellious stage at teh moment, simple because i refuse to follow fashion... those people that dress up in track suits and stand on street corners trying to mug me can go to hell for all i care... they expect everyone to be like them... and that is wrong...
Track suits?
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

ArmorPierce wrote:
Zac Naloen wrote:I could probably say im going through a rebellious stage at teh moment, simple because i refuse to follow fashion... those people that dress up in track suits and stand on street corners trying to mug me can go to hell for all i care... they expect everyone to be like them... and that is wrong...
Track suits?
They're popular here,garish white things with big logo's on them. A pair with no logo's costs about $20AUS $80 with a logo.

- George Carlin
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Oh I know what you are talking about. Heh, guys that wears those are muggers where you from? Ain't really worn much over here except for the occasional pretty boy that wears it once to show it.
Last edited by ArmorPierce on 2003-10-16 02:02am, edited 1 time in total.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.