Stuart Slade has died

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Stuart Slade has died

Post by TimothyC »

I know the opinion of him around here is low, but he died on the 10th, from what I've heard was Covid.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: Stuart Slade has died

Post by Jub »

He was a character in the long history of this board. How he left it doesn't mean much compared to the fun times he was a part of while he was here.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

I interacted with him and he seemed pleasant. Granted a lot of his views were odious but still. Death is a tragedy.
chimericoncogene
Padawan Learner

Post by chimericoncogene »

Wow. He was a legend. 2020 strikes again.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I don't believe I ever interacted with him much, if at all, but that's a bad way to go. Screw this entire year anyhow.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Balls.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I am saddened by any man's death, whether I like the person or not, whether I interacted with him a lot or not, whether I only knew of him or really knew him.

He was part of our community, and now he is gone, that is enough to merit a note of sorrow.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

He was a Kratman-grade wingnut, albeit one who could read a room better, but he was our Kratman-grade wingnut.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

One thing that surprised me was that he had a very sympathetic trans character....in 2008. People can be complicated.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Aye, he was someone I could respect even if we didn't necessarily see eye to eye on things, which is unfortunately something not that common nowadays.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Darth Yan wrote: 2020-12-13 07:38pm One thing that surprised me was that he had a very sympathetic trans character....in 2008. People can be complicated.
Personal experience will do that for you. When I saw this topic it took me awhile, Stuart who? Oh right the fanfic and the long talk about Jane's we got up to that one time. Death comes for us all in the end but Stuart was something else. It might have been seven years since the last time I talked or messaged with him but now that loss is driven home.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Ralin wrote: 2020-12-13 01:53amBalls.
Well said.

Balls.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

That sucks :( .
I always found his works and stories to be interesting and insightful.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

To a friend I never met. Farewell.

Didn't he slap down R.M Stirling once? Over a Draka aircraft design that would be too heavy to fly?
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

I always found his opinions on defence news and global matters quite frank and insightful.

It's been a long time but I miss those and now the knowledge that there will never be a 'next time'.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

A classic article of his, for anyone who never came across it before now.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Esquire wrote: 2020-12-16 08:21pm A classic article of his, for anyone who never came across it before now.
I remember that. Always thought it was going to turn out to be a "and that's how you end up with Rodney & Nelson" moral story. (I mean, it is but it always sounded like that's where it was going).
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
ali-sama
Jedi Knight

Post by ali-sama »

I don't remember him well. However I wish the best for his family, friends and loved ones. Losing people to things like this is terrible. He is one with the force now.
"In eternal damnation we sow the seeds of man, so we may delight in their pain and sorrow, basking them in our infinite love.."
Charles reed March 21, 2230
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

God does this make me feel old.
It is scary to be reminded of ones mortality, and to think that the early days of this forum were almost 20 years ago at this point. I will say it is heartening that even some one from so long ago is still well remembered. And hey, that is what it comes down to, making sure that those that came before are remembered and not forgotten.

To Stuart, I rise a glass and make a toast. Let us remember fondly.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

The debate thread that lead up Salvation War (and for a time the story itself) will always be one of the high water marks for this board in my mind.

A complex and interesting fellow. Rest In Peace.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

So sad to hear this, he was a charismatic and smart man, despite his faults.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

This is sad news to me.
He even started on book 3, but it will be finished about the same time as Starcrossed.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Col. Crackpot wrote: 2021-02-01 12:26pm The debate thread that lead up Salvation War (and for a time the story itself) will always be one of the high water marks for this board in my mind.

Do you have a link by any chance so I can go back and reminisce?

RIP to Stuart and all the best to his family and friends.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

So yeah. It's been literally been half a decade that I posted here, but I guess commenting on Stu's death, that's a good enough reason.

The guy was a right-wing madman who wrote imho pretty dry prose, but at the same time (as mentioned) he had a trans character be one of the heroines of his story, and a black woman rose through the ranks like crazy because she could think on her feet. Bill Clinton had a short but awesome interlude.

He also lied about his publishing chances and how they'd been ruined by some guy (that guy was him: He published for free on SD.net and Spacebattles), and Tanknet kicked him out for pretending to be a female Thai colonel. Who actually existed, but most assuredly wasn't, or knew, Stuart Slade.

Stu was a complicated character. Like most of us, actually. And I think that in the end, he was a nice and knowledgable guy (if flawed) to be around. Couldn't stand his politics, and I'll never know why he had to lie about some things, but then again, sometimes people just get caught in a lie, and instead of admitting it, they keep carrying on until it's too late.

Farewell thee well Stuart.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
R.A. Heinlein.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Ubiquitous wrote: 2021-03-08 09:44am
Col. Crackpot wrote: 2021-02-01 12:26pm The debate thread that lead up Salvation War (and for a time the story itself) will always be one of the high water marks for this board in my mind.

Do you have a link by any chance so I can go back and reminisce?

RIP to Stuart and all the best to his family and friends.
I'm not sure it exists anymore. The fallout created such a shitstorm that I think Mayabird deleted it all. You can still find the stories here:
http://www.tboverse.us/HPCAFORUM/phpBB3 ... b33b5b97ae
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting