Meditation thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Meditation thread

Post by FaxModem1 »

Over the years, I've occasionally meditated. Due to some issues I've had, I've gotten deeper into it. I now do it weekly, if not at least three times a week, and it's rather helped my head space. I thought, why not dedicate a thread to the practice? Since if anyone needs to find calm and clear their headspace, it'd be this board. :D

So, what's meditation?

If you've never done it before, you're probably picturing something like this:

Or more like this:

Now, those aren't really what we're talking about. Let's let Wikipedia define it for us:

"Meditation is a practice where an individual uses a technique – such as mindfulness, or focusing their mind on a particular object, thought or activity – to train attention and awareness, and achieve a mentally clear and emotionally calm and stable state."

This can be anything from sitting on a mat and focusing on your breathing, to focusing on the act of walking, to exercise, to focusing on some activity. The point is to just let your focus on the real world fade for a bit, so as to get your mind in a better position. It's not a substitute for medication for mental illness, it's not a cure all, and it won't fix all your problems, but I find it does help when your getting frantic.

I focus on Mindful Meditation. It's great for those who want such benefits. I learned this when I went to a meditation class, where I've learned a lot, but am still very much an amateur at it. But, for the total novice, I found that this simple little guide helps for those who want to try it. Give it a shot, see what happens.

So, do you meditate? Have you ever meditated before? What do you think about meditation?

Discuss.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: Meditation thread

Post by madd0ct0r »

I have meditated on and off since i was 12 and taught by a sympathetic teacher.
Been craving it the last month or so.

My favourite one is simply lying still on my back nice and neatly, and then starting from toes and fingers, systematically noticing and relaxing eaxh muscle, one bit per breath.

Aikido has "ki breathing", which is more like forced continuous deep breathing and is intended to build up core muscles, but again is soothing and calm and focuses.

An aikido book did give me the one for when awake in bed, breathe quietly but try to push all your hot blood into your toes. That works well. Ill dig up the actual instructions if anyone wants them.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2019-09-13 04:36am An aikido book did give me the one for when awake in bed, breathe quietly but try to push all your hot blood into your toes. That works well. Ill dig up the actual instructions if anyone wants them.
Please, I'm always down for trying something new.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

The closest I get to meditation is letting my mind wander during sex after my partner is satisfied and I'm just taking too long. That's my Zen state, I guess. This does not make me a good person, but it works for me.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Raw Shark wrote: 2019-09-15 08:06pm The closest I get to meditation is letting my mind wander during sex after my partner is satisfied and I'm just taking too long. That's my Zen state, I guess. This does not make me a good person, but it works for me.
I will admit I've never done that at a temple.
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

My source of peace is actually at work (weirdly enough) a hospital library I use to study, write and plan.

It's ideal as it's 24/7 It use to be busy but because of centralizing plans, a lot of the staff that use the library (mainly medical students) are at the other site. So it's been a welcome peace of mind for myself.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-09-21 01:39pm
Raw Shark wrote: 2019-09-15 08:06pm The closest I get to meditation is letting my mind wander during sex after my partner is satisfied and I'm just taking too long. That's my Zen state, I guess. This does not make me a good person, but it works for me.
I will admit I've never done that at a temple.
The one time I did it in a church, we were both lapsed Catholics who thought it was kinda hot for its own sake and into the risk in general but also kind of mortified in the way that we also permanently feel the impulse to kneel and confess when entering a phone booth and damn fuck noodle, the people who think the only problem is the cho-mos are really missing the iceberg for the tip.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

For accuracy, I also find archery to be a very healthy form of meditation, as long as nothing you would regret putting a hole in is downrange.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

One could take a look at the discussion on B5's "One Perfect Moment", and find it as good a moment of meditation as any. Just a single moment when you are able to stop everything and simply BE for a moment.

I get those moments while driving. Moments when I realize I've crossed a part of the distance without realizing it, because my body drove that section while my mind was miles away.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet