Joke sanity check

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Joke sanity check

Post by SolarpunkFan »

I think the joke I came up with is inoffensive enough (provided you're not Vladimir Putin), but I figured I could use a sanity check by more socially astute people before posting it anywhere else.

Q. Why does Putin support jailing LGBT people?

A. Because he secretly participates in drag queen contests in Moscow's gay bars but he always comes in last place. One day Putin thinks "Aha! If I have all the gays jailed then I will have no competition in the contests! Drag queen of the year here I come!"
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Joke sanity check

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Eh, it'll probably offend some people, but it's tame compared to what South Park and Family Guy put in a typical episode. My only criticism would be that the punch line is too wordy and cumbersome.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

On a scale of 1 to 10, it's lamer than a horse with 3 broken legs.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

muse wrote: 2019-03-29 09:05pm On a scale of 1 to 10, it's lamer than a horse with 3 broken legs.
Well I did think of this when I was half-asleep so... probably. :?
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

muse wrote: 2019-03-29 09:05pm On a scale of 1 to 10, it's lamer than a horse with 3 broken legs.
So it still has a leg to stand on? :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Tribble wrote: 2019-03-29 09:27pm So it still has a leg to stand on? :P
Yes, but it's not going anywhere, and will soon be euthanized to end the suffering.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Still, one has to wonder how bad Putin must be to get last place at EVERY gay bar in a major city...

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

He likes going around bare-chested, so...
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I think the better joke would be:

Why did Putin start jailing the gays in Russia?

Because he once wrestled the wrong kind of bear.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I think just as a general rule if your punchline is 6-7 times longer than your setup, your joke needs work.

Brevity is the soul of wit, and all that.
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Vendetta wrote: 2019-03-30 08:38am I think just as a general rule if your punchline is 6-7 times longer than your setup, your joke needs work.

Brevity is the soul of wit, and all that.
Yeah. The punchline's too clunky.

Jub beat me to improving it though. :P
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Or maybe this as a punchline?

A. As Putin said: "drag queen of the year, here I come!"

Maybe that changes the three broken legs to three merely paralyzed legs? :P
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

SolarpunkFan wrote: 2019-04-04 08:39am Or maybe this as a punchline?

A. As Putin said: "drag queen of the year, here I come!"

Maybe that changes the three broken legs to three merely paralyzed legs? :P
No.
Jub's version combines something that is "Putinesque" behavior "guy wrestles a bear" with the "some gay people are called bears" to create a plausible narrative.

Yours tries to establish that Putin is an avid cross dresser/drag queen, which is not related to anything people would readily attribute to him.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

It's like saying

Why is Trumps' golf swing exceptionally stable? - Retractable bone spurs.

The same would not work for "Why is Trump a great sprinter?" - because the assumption that Trump moves faster than a waddle is disrupting the cognitive acceptance of your joke. People would be so preoccupied by the impossible prerequisite that the joke falls flat.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

If you really wanted to make a joke about Putin as a drag queen you could go with:

Why is Putin so obsessed with staying in power? Because he's always wanted to be a queen.

Even that's a pretty so-so joke that needs context to work. Using drag queen is also too long a term for a good punchline unless you can relate it back to the setup better.

As an - offensive - example you could go with:

What do you call a cross-dresser being towed behind a truck? A drag queen.

That joke works because it plays off of the word drag though it's a shitty joke for being bigoted as hell and thus still isn't funny.