So deep. On so many levels.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

muse
Jedi Council Member

So deep. On so many levels.

Post by muse »

https://gizmodo.com/museum-visitor-fall ... 1828462859
Museum Visitor Falls Into Giant Hole That Looks Like a Cartoonish Painting on the Floor

Like a real-life version of a Looney Tunes cartoon, a visitor to a Portuguese museum was injured last week when he stepped into an art installation resembling an inky void. Currently on exhibit at the Serralves Museum in Porto, Descent Into Limbo by Anish Kapoor includes an actual eight-foot hole that’s painted black—so it appears to have no depth at all.

According to Britain’s Times, attendees of previous showings of the work have questioned “whether there really was a hole in the floor or whether it was simply a circle painted with an extremely dark black paint.” Presumably there will be no doubts going forward.

Though the Descent Into Limbo installation was reportedly surrounded with warning signs and staffers warning visitors not to get too close, there was no barrier around it. How the museumgoer, whom Portugal’s Publico reports was an Italian man in his 60s, was able to step into the hole isn’t known, but he was briefly hospitalized for the eight-foot fall. The museum closed the exhibit to assess what happened, but says it plans to reopen it soon.

In addition to being known for his over-sized installations (including the giant reflective Cloud Gate “bean” in Chicago), Kapoor made headlines in 2016 when he secured the exclusive artistic rights to a physics-defying material called Vantablack. Developed by a British company called Surrey NanoSystems, the material is able to trap photons in-between lab-grown carbon nanotubes, which bounce around until they’re eventually absorbed. Just a scant 0.035 percent of visible light is reflected by an object covered in Vantablack, making it impossible to see any curves or contours—or to accurately gauge the depth of a hole if you don’t know what you’re looking at.

Descent Into Limbo debuted years before Vantablack was announced to the public, and was instead created using a dark paint that produces the same depthless, black hole effect. For at least one hapless art lover, it seems that was enough.
Clearly, an art masterpiece, the meanings of which will be studied & debated for years to come.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Re: So deep. On so many levels.

Post by Captain Seafort »

there was no barrier around it. How the museumgoer...was able to step into the hole isn’t known
Hmm... Looks like the author needs a bit of a refresher on a) proofreading and b) the work of Sir Isaac Newton.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I'd love to see the risk-assessment report for this art installation.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I want many gallons of Vantablack, please. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Zaune wrote: 2018-08-21 05:07pm I'd love to see the risk-assessment report for this art installation.
An 8' drop is probably non-fatal. Approved!
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

J wrote: 2018-08-23 11:24am
Zaune wrote: 2018-08-21 05:07pm I'd love to see the risk-assessment report for this art installation.
An 8' drop is probably non-fatal. Approved!
I seen cracked skulls from a mere 3' unsupported fall. Gravity is a harsh and unforgiving mistress.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

What, no Roger Rabbit references? For shame...
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

muse wrote: 2018-08-20 06:40pmClearly, an art masterpiece, the meanings of which will be studied & debated for years to come.
I am Raw Shark, and I support this message.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I say this is a PR stunt. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!