OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by ray245 »

Gandalf wrote: 2018-07-11 06:05pm
ray245 wrote: 2018-07-11 05:23pm
Gandalf wrote: 2018-07-11 05:06pm As someone from Australia, the lack of insufferable England fans is a definite bonus. :P
But it would have been so much fun if England lost to France in the final of all the countries.
Nah, because then it's a lot of "We would have won if..." scenarios.
Realistically speaking, the French team would have destroyed the English team pretty resoundingly.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

ray245 wrote: 2018-07-11 06:26pm
Gandalf wrote: 2018-07-11 06:05pm
ray245 wrote: 2018-07-11 05:23pm

But it would have been so much fun if England lost to France in the final of all the countries.
Nah, because then it's a lot of "We would have won if..." scenarios.
Realistically speaking, the French team would have destroyed the English team pretty resoundingly.
The team wasn't the finished article yet, there's every reason to be optimistic going forward to Euro 2020- pundits were saying they wouldn't be surprised if it emerged that Kane was carrying an injury since the Sweden game.

Let's not forget that we're not out, but have one game left. Even if we lose to Belgium it's still the best we've done in 28 years, if we win it's the best in nearly double that! :lol:
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

ray245 wrote: 2018-07-11 06:26pmRealistically speaking, the French team would have destroyed the English team pretty resoundingly.
True, but some fans won't always go with the most realistic outcomes. Because no victory is ever 100% assured, there's always some weird angle to argue about why they would/should have won.

I'm also pretty happy at the idea that Croatia might get their first title.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Flanker_33
Redshirt

Post by Flanker_33 »

I'm really torn about the finale. On one hand, the French team is absolutely great this year, but on the other hand, it looks like it's the World Underdog Football Cup this year : Russia making it so far, Belgium making it to the 3rd place after beating Brazil and England, Croatia making it to the finale... Meanwhile, Germany, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay and other monsters were quickly smacked out of the competition.

So, this finale is sure going to be interesting and surprising, since both teams have great chances to win...
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

That was a fantastic game. The Croatia goal was simply stunning and both of France's later goals were very well done. I feel if France didn't get the early penalty kick it would have been a much closer game.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Yeah, that VAR penalty was extremely controvertial, it turned the game on its head. That howler by the French keeper though... there was another game earlier in the tournament where the keeper was caught flat-footed by a sub coming on that resulted in an easy unexpected goal. Can't for the life of me remember which teams were involved though.

England's last game was shocking- instead of finishing on a high like we hoped we ended up with arguably their worst performance in the entire tournament. I'm surprised Kane still managed to get the golden boot despite doing virtually nothing in the knockout stages- can't help but think that had he been fully fit the last few matches would have gone very differently. :(
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-07-15 05:52pm Yeah, that VAR penalty was extremely controvertial, it turned the game on its head. That howler by the French keeper though... there was another game earlier in the tournament where the keeper was caught flat-footed by a sub coming on that resulted in an easy unexpected goal. Can't for the life of me remember which teams were involved though.
Yeah... I think France can't complain about the last two referees.
England's last game was shocking- instead of finishing on a high like we hoped we ended up with arguably their worst performance in the entire tournament. I'm surprised Kane still managed to get the golden boot despite doing virtually nothing in the knockout stages- can't help but think that had he been fully fit the last few matches would have gone very differently. :(
At least it was a far more entertaining match than expected. The counter at minute 1:14 and the following save were both brilliant.

Man, just shows how hard we missed having Meunier against France
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-07-15 05:52pm Yeah, that VAR penalty was extremely controvertial, it turned the game on its head. That howler by the French keeper though... there was another game earlier in the tournament where the keeper was caught flat-footed by a sub coming on that resulted in an easy unexpected goal. Can't for the life of me remember which teams were involved though.
Are you sure you're not talking about the Liverpool-Real Madrid final?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.