2016 Rio Olympics Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

2016 Rio Olympics Thread

Post by Borgholio »

Opening ceremony in Rio is today. Yesterday had the first few Soccer matches of the games. Watched the Japan vs Nigeria game...despite a spirited comeback, Japan lost 4 - 5 due to giving up a couple penalty goals. Normally I'm not a big soccer fan (or sports fan in general) but I find myself interested in almost everything for two weeks every couple years. Nothing going on today except for the opening ceremony I think...tomorrow's a big day with lots of stuff going on.

So far, the Rio games have the makings of being a total disaster as far as infrastructure and sanitation goes, let's hope they get things fixed and cleaned up before it's too late. I feel sorry for the athletes going into the water if they don't manage to clean up all the raw sewage. There are going to be a lot of very sick people...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: 2016 Rio Olympics Thread

Post by Mr Bean »

There is a fun side going on called "Who's been robbed more" to determine which country the Rio thinks are the richest, the Australians are in the lead.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Anyone outside the UK seen the BBC trailer for the Games? Lots of fun animated animals.

YouTube link here.

That's the link both ways, so one or the other ought to work.

I just worked out a few minutes ago that the high jumper is a maned wolf a.k.a. "foxes on stilts".

Half an hour until the opening ceremony, here's hoping all goes well.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

First US Gold Medal -- Shooting!

WV Athletic Wins First Gold Medal of Olympics
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

One thing I like about the Olympics is I watch sports I never see normally. Handball is actually a very fast-paced sport and is interesting to watch.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Same here. Out of curiosity, I tried out the live-stream for Kayak/Canoe Slalom, and holy shit is that intense. That sport looks incredibly difficult.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Same here. Out of curiosity, I tried out the live-stream for Kayak/Canoe Slalom, and holy shit is that intense. That sport looks incredibly difficult.
Especially when the boat dives into a swirl of white water and it's not immediately clear where/when/if it'll bob up again...

... with or without its means of propulsion. :wink:
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Mr Bean wrote:There is a fun side going on called "Who's been robbed more" to determine which country the Rio thinks are the richest, the Australians are in the lead.
Interesting factoid: Anticipating that there would be theft and such in the Olympic Village, the Australian government has poured millions into funding to make sure that Australian athletes are the easiest from which to steal. The "who lost the most stuff to foreigners" medal shall be in Australia forevermore!
LadyTevar wrote:First US Gold Medal -- Shooting!
Insert joke here.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Same here. Out of curiosity, I tried out the live-stream for Kayak/Canoe Slalom, and holy shit is that intense. That sport looks incredibly difficult.
It's one of those sports I'm glad they added to the Games. Like in the Winter Olympics they added snowboarding, which is a fun sport to watch. I'm glad it's not just the "old fashioned" sports.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

This video sums up how Team GB is doing so far:

Link

:banghead:
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

What a difference a day makes- from a bust yesterday to nailing it today! :mrgreen:
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Rugby sevens was fun to watch, but god damn Britain, you really shit the bed against the Fijians (and you didn't have the excuse of being intimidated by an awesome haka). That silver medal is going to taste bitter for awhile.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Fiji deserved it. First medal EVER and it happens to be gold. They needed it more than Britain. :)
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

As a consolation, two more golds in rowing this afternoon — now up to 4th place in the medals table. :D
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Team USA is positively owning the pool. Phelps, Ledecky, Dirado, Murphy... An embarrassment of riches. Phelps is a damned freak of nature. IOC should check his DNA for dolphin.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Sad commentary on modern sports, but Phelps is being SO amazing I'm wondering if they should drug test him more often.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

Balrog wrote:Rugby sevens was fun to watch, but god damn Britain, you really shit the bed against the Fijians (and you didn't have the excuse of being intimidated by an awesome haka). That silver medal is going to taste bitter for awhile.
Not really - Fiji are world champions at the sport and were red hot favourites. Had GB won, it would have been an enormous upset. They'll be very happy with the silver; it wasn't expected.
What is WRONG with you people
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

A Singaporean manage to beat Phelps. :lol:
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The other competitors are wearing him down. No, seriously, the dude is doing back-to-back races in the Olympics. He looks exhausted.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Broomstick wrote:The other competitors are wearing him down. No, seriously, the dude is doing back-to-back races in the Olympics. He looks exhausted.
True. And Phelps is pretty old as a swimmer.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I see the fine British tradition of winning whilst sitting down continues. Nearly spat pimms across the room when I saw TGB were third in the table.

Anyone know what the bet with the Aussies is this year?
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Hillary wrote:
Balrog wrote:Rugby sevens was fun to watch, but god damn Britain, you really shit the bed against the Fijians (and you didn't have the excuse of being intimidated by an awesome haka). That silver medal is going to taste bitter for awhile.
Not really - Fiji are world champions at the sport and were red hot favourites. Had GB won, it would have been an enormous upset. They'll be very happy with the silver; it wasn't expected.
Given that GB actually defeated New Zealand on the way to that silver, I'd say they did pretty damn well :P
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Justin Rose just nabbed a gold in the worlds most boring sport as well. I'm genuinely amazed how well GB are doing now.

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

2nd in the table now. I honestly thought after 2012 it would ease off and we'd return to midtable.

Lottery funding for sport, Traffic cone hotlines and rail privatisation... In the deep dark future...what will John Major be remembered for?

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Crime may be a lasting impact of Rio. The Australian team was robbed when their building had a fake fire alarm forcing them to evacuate, and now Ryan Lochte and 3 other swimmers were robbed at gunpoint by people posing as police.

Well, that and the green water in the diving pool. Eww...