National Pride...

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: National Pride...

Post by Tribble »

In my experience, Canada has an a pretty interesting sense of national pride... we pretty much define ourselves as not being American. Seriously, fear of becoming the 51st state is pretty much what holds the country together, as no province really wants to leave lest they risk an American take-over (even Alberta, although they threaten to do so from time to time when things don't go their way). This goes all the way back to the American Revolution (where Canada was welcomed to join the USA in the Articles of Confederation but decided to remain loyal) so it's not exactly a new phenomenon.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Tribble wrote:In my experience, Canada has an a pretty interesting sense of national pride... we pretty much define ourselves as not being American. Seriously, fear of becoming the 51st state is pretty much what holds the country together, as no province really wants to leave lest they risk an American take-over (even Alberta, although they threaten to do so from time to time when things don't go their way). This goes all the way back to the American Revolution (where Canada was welcomed to join the USA in the Articles of Confederation but decided to remain loyal) so it's not exactly a new phenomenon.
That invitation came from the barrel of a gun on more than one occasion.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Raw Shark wrote:You are thinking irrationally from a depressed place. You can be whatever good that you can be. Which is more than nothing until you become evil or die.
Sorry, I'm more clear-headed for now. My emotions roller-coaster sometimes even though I'm taking meds.
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

I am a very proud Australian.

Unfortunately, that also means I am a deeply, deeply disgusted and ashamed Australian when I see the sort of shit bigots and politicians are pulling. Locking asylum seekers in concentration camps to be tortured, raped, and deported is nothing less than a complete betrayal of what Australia should be.

I suppose I'm proud of what Australia could be - not of what it actually is.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

loomer wrote:I am a very proud Australian.

Unfortunately, that also means I am a deeply, deeply disgusted and ashamed Australian when I see the sort of shit bigots and politicians are pulling. Locking asylum seekers in concentration camps to be tortured, raped, and deported is nothing less than a complete betrayal of what Australia should be.

That would be the good sort of nationalism, the idea that you should fix the problems rather than blindly follow. it fits the classic quote from Carl Schurz,"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."
maraxus2
Padawan Learner

Post by maraxus2 »

TheFeniX wrote:If I had to sum up my experience with Texans, it would be "Texan first, American Second." Shit, the damned "Ford is the best in Texas" jingle cannot be thought without that stupid song playing in my head. In school, Texas was best because we lasted a few years as our own Republic. Texas, Texas, Texas, fucking Texas.
So was California! Although ours was a matter of weeks, not years. Still not sure that joining the US was the wisest decision our forebears ever made...

I have a great deal of affection for the United States, and of the West and Cali in particular. Warts and all. I look at California and I see what the US could, and likely will, become in the far-off future. What I see so far pleases me greatly.
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Adam Reynolds wrote:
loomer wrote:I am a very proud Australian.

That would be the good sort of nationalism, the idea that you should fix the problems rather than blindly follow. it fits the classic quote from Carl Schurz,"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."
I'm surprised I hadn't stumbled on that quote by now. It definitely fits and I've written it on a post-it on my mirror to remind myself.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

maraxus2 wrote:
TheFeniX wrote:If I had to sum up my experience with Texans, it would be "Texan first, American Second." Shit, the damned "Ford is the best in Texas" jingle cannot be thought without that stupid song playing in my head. In school, Texas was best because we lasted a few years as our own Republic. Texas, Texas, Texas, fucking Texas.
So was California! Although ours was a matter of weeks, not years. Still not sure that joining the US was the wisest decision our forebears ever made...

I have a great deal of affection for the United States, and of the West and Cali in particular. Warts and all. I look at California and I see what the US could, and likely will, become in the far-off future. What I see so far pleases me greatly.
Without joining the Union, California would be a shit hole like Mexico and most former Spanish colonies in the Americas. Having lived on a numberof locations on both coasts, California is no better than any other place in the US. There are a ton of entitled assholes out here, many of whom are supposedly the most socially enlightened.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

I live in Belfast where the plebs can't even agree what the country is called and who pays for us.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
JamesStaley
Youngling

Post by JamesStaley »

Uh, ever heard that song from Toby Keith that goes, "I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know i'm free. And i'll gladly stand up, and defend her still today, 'cause there ain't no doubt I love this land. GOD BLESS THE USA!"
James Staley
Proud American
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

JamesStaley wrote:Uh, ever heard that song from Toby Keith that goes, "I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know i'm free. And i'll gladly stand up, and defend her still today, 'cause there ain't no doubt I love this land. GOD BLESS THE USA!"
That song pre-dates Keith and was written by Lee Greenwood. And as much as I like Keith as a singer, not so much a person, the Greenwood version is just better.

Also, it wasn't sung as a backdrop to bullshit like the Patriot act.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Plus, you know, it's pure propaganda. Cite me QoL statistics, government transparency and corruption figures, poverty levels, etc; then we'll talk.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Esquire wrote:Plus, you know, it's pure propaganda. Cite me QoL statistics, government transparency and corruption figures, poverty levels, etc; then we'll talk.
I'm going off what I remember from a few dust-ups on the Interwebs in early 2000s, but I don't recall Greenwood having any ulterior motive other than "I love this country" for writing Proud to be an American. A Canadian member even pointed out there's a Canadian version of the song, but I don't know anything about that. It's definitely been used for propaganda, but so have songs taking a jab at their country such as "Born in the USA." It's like people don't even listen to what they're listening to. These types would think "Freedom isn't Free" or "AMERICA! Fuck YEA" are the songs of true patriots.

As for propaganda: Are national anthems bad, in of themselves?

Either way, I don't mind the propaganda itself so much but more how the American country music business itself turned into a propaganda machine after 9/11. A couple of the tunes are pretty fucking catchy, but I feel like a douche for enjoying some as much as I do.

But I don't buy that "Proud to be an American" is a propaganda song. It's just some dude singing about how much he loves this shit-hole... even Detroit, which I guess being proud of Detroit was a thing at the time.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

TheFeniX wrote:Are national anthems bad, in of themselves?
No, but "The Star-Spangled Banner?!" For fuck's sake, is it any wonder Scotty Hamilton cried when he heard the tune of some shitty English drinking song?! And, the lyrics are even worse.

I mean, we could have gone with "America the Beautiful," "My Country, Tis O' Thee," or, my personal favorite, the late, great John Phillip Souza's "Stars And Stripes Forever."

There's a rousing song, makes you want to be proud of your country, not pay your respects to it, as you lower it into the ground, like the aforementioned "Star-Spangled Banner."

So fucking what if there are no lyrics to it?! A) Does anyone even know the lyrics to the "Star-Spangled Dirge?" b)There are plenty of national anthems with no lyrics at all, and most of the time only the music's played anyway. and c)Do you really want something Roseanne Barr/Arnold/Barr/Buggered If I Know can butcher at a Rockies game?
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:c)Do you really want something Roseanne Barr/Arnold/Barr/Buggered If I Know can butcher at a Rockies game?
Media blitzes about how some washed up celebrity butchered the national anthem is the life-blood of this country.

Still, Canadians already scored the best anthem of all time.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

TheFeniX wrote:
U.P. Cinnabar wrote:c)Do you really want something Roseanne Barr/Arnold/Barr/Buggered If I Know can butcher at a Rockies game?
Media blitzes about how some washed up celebrity butchered the national anthem is the life-blood of this country.
I suppose you have a point there.
Still, Canadians already scored the best anthem of all time.
:D

What? Not this one?
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

TheFeniX wrote:<snip>
This is my fault; I just meant that the song isn't meant to be a logical argument for American superiority, it's just, as you say, some guy singing about how he loves his home. I didn't mean to suggest that it was written as deliberate manipulative persuasion.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

JamesStaley wrote:Uh, ever heard that song from Toby Keith that goes, "I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know i'm free. And i'll gladly stand up, and defend her still today, 'cause there ain't no doubt I love this land. GOD BLESS THE USA!"
James Staley
Proud American
If somebody actually has the nerve to invade the first nuclear-armed power on its own soil, I'll be there with my rifle, my winter camo, and the abilities of an Eagle Scout killing every hostile motherfucker I see like Simo Häyhä. Until that point, I'd like to see an end to the aggression, Bible-smoking, and maybe a little bit of the arrogance on our side.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

James Staley
Proud American
Except that song is sung by Lee Greenwood, and is not as insulting to the ears and intellect as that swaggering, jingoistic, dick-waving shitfest that is that damned "Red, White, and Blue" song, which was written and performed by Toby Queef.

There's loving your country, and then there's being a mindless prick about loving your country.

Raw Shark wrote:If somebody actually has the nerve to invade the first nuclear-armed power on its own soil, I'll be there with my rifle, my winter camo, and the abilities of an Eagle Scout killing every hostile motherfucker I see like Simo Häyhä.
Agreed, though, right now, our worst enemies are all domestic. And look a lot like us.
Until that point, I'd like to see an end to the aggression, Bible-smoking, and maybe a little bit of the arrogance on our side.
Amen to that. To the xenophobia which is as American as apple pie, as well.