Warcraft movie trailer released

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Warcraft movie trailer released

Post by Lord Revan »

Both Blackhand the destroyer and Gul'dan are present in the trailer (though what's mostly likely Gul'dan is seen only for a brief moment when his face meets Durotan's fist) and yes they're both present in the movie Blackhand being played by Clancy Brown and Gul'dan by Daniel Wu.

and yes the big orc with the Doomhammer is Orgrim Doomhammer not some random enhancement shaman who got his artifact weapon 30 years in advance ;).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

The corruption would be easy to modify to work in to a movie plot:

1. Orcs migrate into Azeroth, encounter humans
2. Some try to work out peace, others fight, but Orcs overall get routed by organized human forces and driven back into the swamp.
3. Gul'Dan leads most of the Horde into accepting the corruption to find victory, control by Blackhand
4. Orcs reinvade, corrupted Orcs defeat the humans, humans forced to flee northward.

The pre-existing war with the Draenei would be dropped or ignored until later stories.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

well IIRC neither Durotan nor Orgrim Doomhammer drank demonblood so them being Brown skinned could be just that they effect of being exposed to fel magic has gotten them yet, Thrall (or Go'el as he is still as the name "Thrall" came from humans) is clearly green skinned. though I can't tell if Blackhand is green or brown skinned due the massive amount of warpaint on his face.

Though I dout that the draenei are mentioned in any detail in this film, though they could mentioned in passing
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

RogueIce wrote:
Darth Yan wrote:It isn't. Blizzard said it's akin the ultimate brand of marvel (similar characters, somewhat different way events play out.) Bad writing aside the tie in stuff has made the orcs more tolerable (it's established that the bulk of the orcs who fought with garrosh were blackrock and dragon maw. The other orc clans are implied to have gotten fed up and joined the rebels.
In other words: more Horde whitegreen-washing from Blizzard. :roll:
It's an entirely new Alternate Universe. Better to do it from the beginning, than start with Always Chaotic Evil and spend the rest of the story backpedaling.

The way it seems now, is that the Orcs are being portrayed as a Barbarian Warrior culture. The Green Orcs drank the blood of Mannroth to gain an edge on their rivals and have been raiding/conquering the other clans, and then somebody finds the Dark Portal. My guess is that Durotan wants to use it to escape the Greens and start over on Azeroth, but the Greens follow them and see a new world to conquer.

I'm not sure how, or even if, the Dranei figure into it. This universe may keep them off Draenor entirely, or have them as some Precursor race.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I dout the Draenei will appear physically before the film that will cover the "Beyond the Dark Portal" portion of the story (assuming the movie story will roughly follow the game storyline) to keep the number of full CGI races as small as they can, I suspect that you also won't be seeing any of the demons of the Burning Legion is this movie though they might mention them.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I'm more worried about whether Garona will get to back to be being half-orc/half-human again. Because that's a way better version of her character than that stupid Draenei retcon.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

RogueIce wrote:I'm more worried about whether Garona will get to back to be being half-orc/half-human again. Because that's a way better version of her character than that stupid Draenei retcon.
the half-draenei retcon is more of a side of effect of changing the time between opening of the Dark Portal and sacking of Stormwind that made Garona being half human impossible. IIRC orginally it was 10 years or so from "official" first contact with the orcs to sacking of Stormwind giving us more then enough time for orc/human hybrids to be made. Then at some point before WoW launched Blizzard condenced the "first" war into 1 year or so making it impossible for Garona to be half azerothian human (though it's implied she herself thought that she was half human), draenei (whose form at the time was unknown/lost one) was one of the races suspected for the non-orc half. Really only problem I have with Garona being half Draenei is that she doesn't show it that much having at most glowning eyes in the comics and most of the time not even that, just looking like a shorter and slimmer orc (which is odd seeing as Draenei are signifigantly taller then orcs).
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Arielangel wrote:So she basically said she had to suffer because her skin was green... is almost like a bad joke of a slave. She didn´t murder, steal, *@%@@#%! or anything; but the warped and ridiculous logic here is that "she must pay for the sins of her parents and feel content while doing so"

I personally find that ridiculous. One pays for one´s mistakes. No more and no less.
Where this argument falls flat is that an orc's skin colour is not like an African-American's skin colour. For an orc, their green skin is not merely an accident of biochemistry that tints their skin a different colour to humans, it is a physical symptom of a demonic pact. It is one thing to consider the human reaction to the Horde's invasion a mistake in hindsight, akin to how the end of World War I laid the foundation for the rise of Hitler and the beginning of World War II, but it is not morally wrong for the humans to fail to realise that the physical signs of an orc's alliance with demons lasts longer than the alliance itself.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Grumman wrote:
Arielangel wrote:So she basically said she had to suffer because her skin was green... is almost like a bad joke of a slave. She didn´t murder, steal, *@%@@#%! or anything; but the warped and ridiculous logic here is that "she must pay for the sins of her parents and feel content while doing so"

I personally find that ridiculous. One pays for one´s mistakes. No more and no less.
Where this argument falls flat is that an orc's skin colour is not like an African-American's skin colour. For an orc, their green skin is not merely an accident of biochemistry that tints their skin a different colour to humans, it is a physical symptom of a demonic pact. It is one thing to consider the human reaction to the Horde's invasion a mistake in hindsight, akin to how the end of World War I laid the foundation for the rise of Hitler and the beginning of World War II, but it is not morally wrong for the humans to fail to realise that the physical signs of an orc's alliance with demons lasts longer than the alliance itself.
well the problem is that green skin heditary and passive so it's not sign of the Blood pact with Mannoroth as the Frostwolves refused the pact but still are greenskinned, also I'm pretty sure humans didn't know that orcs aren't naturally greenskinned until at earliest when they went to draenor during Khadgar's mission in the later part of the second war and possibly not until the reopening of the dark portal during Burning Crusade.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Lord Revan wrote:
RogueIce wrote:I'm more worried about whether Garona will get to back to be being half-orc/half-human again. Because that's a way better version of her character than that stupid Draenei retcon.
the half-draenei retcon is more of a side of effect of changing the time between opening of the Dark Portal and sacking of Stormwind that made Garona being half human impossible. IIRC orginally it was 10 years or so from "official" first contact with the orcs to sacking of Stormwind giving us more then enough time for orc/human hybrids to be made. Then at some point before WoW launched Blizzard condenced the "first" war into 1 year or so making it impossible for Garona to be half azerothian human (though it's implied she herself thought that she was half human), draenei (whose form at the time was unknown/lost one) was one of the races suspected for the non-orc half. Really only problem I have with Garona being half Draenei is that she doesn't show it that much having at most glowning eyes in the comics and most of the time not even that, just looking like a shorter and slimmer orc (which is odd seeing as Draenei are signifigantly taller then orcs).
Yeah, I knew about the compressed timeline which forced the retcon. I still think the whole thing is stupid. I don't think I've ever seen a reason for why the timeline got compressed though, other than "because Blizzard said so".

As far as the skin color thing, that's just another lazy Blizzard retcon. Because orcs can't be evil. Except they totally were. Even without the demon blood thing (which from what I hear is basically what WoD showed). But Blizzard wants to have its cake and eat it too, I don't know. Or they're just incompetent storytellers and make this shit up as they go along and expect everyone else to just buy it.

Which if WoW subscription numbers are anything to go by, people aren't. :razz:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

Borgholio wrote:This, combined with the new SW international trailer...I feel like a 5 year old all over again.

Today is a very good day for movie trailers.
Another hunger games trailer? :)

*clicks*

-_-

Ok on a more constructive level, the CGI does stick out and doesn't give the illusion its supposed to but I can forgive that, its their first film and while budget is not their on quality animated work it might make up with storytelling and pace. However the trailer is just a slugfest of action upon action with no sense of drama and action bordering on the ridiculous like the horse throwing.

I think what is telling is just how much action their throwing in this trailer, its almost as if their showing all their biggest highlights like clash of the titans did including revealing the final monster itself. I'm just seeing something similar here where their advertising most of their showdowns with no storytelling or reason to care for either side. For a first trailer its not promising and just before and after its release will come Teenage Ninja Turtles 2 (that has the huge Michael bay following) Now you see me 2, Central Intelligence (I doubt it will make a big impact but Dwayne Johnson has become a big selling point in films of late, so it could be a dark horse)

And independence day 2

So honestly I think this movie is going to struggle and the quality of the trailer hasn't made a good impression so far.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Given that in the past the straight up admitted that they forgot the original story line when adding new story, it appears that they just make shit up add they go and they don't have anyone that really is attempting to maintain the integrity of the lore. Thrall has green skin, but his parents didn't have anything to do with the allegiance apparently, so why ate the rest of the orca back in Outland brown skin?
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Demon cooties?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Broomstick wrote:Demon cooties?
From what I understand in the Game-continuity all the brown-skin orcs in the original timeline (well, this is a fine mess) we meet in Outland are the descendants of the equivalent of an Orc leper colony. They were all sick with something that wasn't 100% fatal but bad enough you were exiled until you recovered or died. As a result they were completely untouched by Manoroth's blood curse, a curse so bad even hanging around people with it gave you green skin even if you didn't drink the blood yourself. That's aparently how Thrall's parents got it, never drank the blood but just being nearby was enough to infect them. Same thing happened with the Blood Elves, only a few ate any fel energy, but just being near those that did would give you green eyes.

That must have been confusing. You're used to a certain steady influx of newly infected orc "colonists", then for a few years no one shows up and no one sends any messages, then the planet explodes.

At any rate, the movie is apparently a complete rewrite, so none of that matters. Take everything you thought you knew about the WarCraft universe and just throw it away when judging the movie.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

If it makes for a better narrative and a better movie I'm all for a re-write and an alternate continuity.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

The trailers look kind of "meh" to me. Lots of testosterone-powered grunting, big burly ultra-manly men being very very manly, all problems can be solved by square blocks of muscle hitting people. That solution, of course, is especially applicable to the problem of big blocks of muscle running around hitting people.

Oh, and orcs are objectively the absolute best race in WoW, by such a huge margin that all the other races might as well give up and embrace voluntary extinction.

. . . Well, that's the impression I get from the trailers, anyway. I don't think the Thrall I know would really be pleased with the movie.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

So, there's early reviews out?
38% Tomatometer.... still beat the D&D movie.

"Imagine Battlefield Earth without the verve, or the unintentional comedy." Ouch.

Man..... now I want to watch BF:Earth again.