Favorite Dinosaur, and why? (50k is extinct)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Favorite Dinosaur, and why? (50k is extinct)

Post by madd0ct0r »

Images mandatory :)
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Re: Favorite Dinosaur, and why? (50k is extinct)

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Are specifying dinosaurs proper, Mesozoic archosaurs in general, or even just any prehistoric reptile?
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

The big long necked swimming one that gets mistaken for Nessy and was in that Disney cartoon about dinosaurs.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Without even a second thought:

Being one of the biggest and meanest looking meat-eating dinosaurs, it is one of the most recognizable "faces" from that era.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Are specifying dinosaurs proper, Mesozoic archosaurs in general, or even just any prehistoric reptile?

Lets go with any prehistoric reptile, or something that could be reasonably mistaken for a dinosaur.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

Brontosaurus
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

lance wrote:Brontosaurus
Don't you mean Apatosaurus? *ducks*
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Purple wrote:The big long necked swimming one that gets mistaken for Nessy and was in that Disney cartoon about dinosaurs.
Do not blaspheme. They belong to a group called the PLESIOSAURS.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Chimaera wrote:
Purple wrote:The big long necked swimming one that gets mistaken for Nessy and was in that Disney cartoon about dinosaurs.
Do not blaspheme. They belong to a group called the PLESIOSAURS.
I got confused. It's been like over a decade since I last saw the thing. Basically the big things from this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Land_Before_Time But I don't mean the main characters. He had feet. I mean the water ones. They were in this big scene when one of them is like sitting in the water munching on some grass or something. I know they had some significance but I forgot what.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'm partial to Allosaurs and Utah Raptors. And also cassowaries and eagles/hawks/falcons (birds count).
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

For some strange reason, ever since I was a child, I was always fascinated by the Mosasaurus family... Size-wise and all other things considered, they are a swimming version of the T. Rex.

A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I've always been a fan of the Ankylosaurus myself.

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

My own favorite, if only for the name

Walking on two legs and possessing a dietary regimen of basically anything, Pantydraco was probably a bit of a monster to anything smaller and slower than it. The small proto-mammals and reptiles of the Triassic would have been good snacks for Pantydraco, for example. While it was stated that animals slower than Pantydraco were probably good food items, its speed has not, to my knowledge, been measured or its gate measured. Therefore, we cannot accurately state the threshold of that speed minimum needed to outrun Pantydraco. Regardless, smaller animals than Pantydraco were probably frequently in danger of being ingested. Plants that were chosen by Pantydraco probably had absolutely no chance against the much more mobile and vicious dinosaur. Just look at how angry and mobile they were:
applejack
Padawan Learner

Post by applejack »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I'm partial to Allosaurs and Utah Raptors. And also cassowaries and eagles/hawks/falcons (birds count).
I agree with RR. Allosaurus is my favorite. IIRC, it was top predator in its own environments, but overall it was sort of middling and average compared to therapods in general, which is actually kind of appealing to me. Plus, it had those bony structures over the front of its eyes that sort of make it look devilish.

Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever *pauses* Thy will be done *munch munch munch*. - Homer Simpson
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Hmmm, it's a really close call between these two, especially as they both came out around the same time:

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

applejack wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:I'm partial to Allosaurs and Utah Raptors. And also cassowaries and eagles/hawks/falcons (birds count).
I agree with RR. Allosaurus is my favorite. IIRC, it was top predator in its own environments, but overall it was sort of middling and average compared to therapods in general, which is actually kind of appealing to me. Plus, it had those bony structures over the front of its eyes that sort of make it look devilish.

I think part of what appealed to me about it is that it wasn't as hyped as Tyranosaurus Rex, but still filled that top predator role.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I am torn. I love them all so very very much. But I will go by group.

Non-Dinosaur Non-Marine Archosaurs

Deinosuchus

Therapod Dinosaurs

Non-Theropod Dinosaurs

Euoplocephalus

Pterosaurs

A tossup between

Quetzalcoatlus, which basically lived its life like HUGE maribou stork of terror

And

Pteranodon, which basically lived like a giant blue footed boobie.

Marine Reptiles

Mosasaurus, the biggest monitor lizard (yes, they were monitor lizards, like komodo dragons) ever.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I need to go back to my parent's house and see if I can dig up the dinosaur books I read as a kid.

I remember that I was always a big fan of Baryonyx; for precisely what reason I can't recall, but I can only assume that one of those dinosaur books just had a really cool picture of them or something.

Not technically a dinosaur, but in the spirit of this thread, I'll throw Dimetrodon into the mix as well:

Shout-outs also to Dracovenator and Iguanodon.

I remember vaguely there was also a "-suchus", but I can't remember the rest of the name right now. It's been so long. Bah!

EDIT: There was also a bitchin' CD-ROM game back in the day where you explored different environments and saw little animated dinosaurs, but I can't for the life of it remember enough detail to find it online. There are too many dinosaur related CD-ROM games.
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

I was going to say "the chicken" because they're delicious, but then I saw the "rules" for this thread. :)

Utahraptor would be my favorite, I guess:

. . . but the panty dragon mentioned above gets a nod for its cool look and amusing name.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ziggy Stardust wrote:I need to go back to my parent's house and see if I can dig up the dinosaur books I read as a kid.

I remember that I was always a big fan of Baryonyx; for precisely what reason I can't recall, but I can only assume that one of those dinosaur books just had a really cool picture of them or something.

Not technically a dinosaur, but in the spirit of this thread, I'll throw Dimetrodon into the mix as well:

I remember vaguely there was also a "-suchus", but I can't remember the rest of the name right now. It's been so long. Bah!

EDIT: There was also a bitchin' CD-ROM game back in the day where you explored different environments and saw little animated dinosaurs, but I can't for the life of it remember enough detail to find it online. There are too many dinosaur related CD-ROM games.
Ziggy Stardust wrote:I need to go back to my parent's house and see if I can dig up the dinosaur books I read as a kid.

Suchosaurus? It was a relative of Baryonyx if not the same creature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suchosaurus

Or perhaps you mean Saurosuchus, though it was not, in fact, a dinosaur.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saurosuchus
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

Suchosaurus
Saurosuchus
Okay, paleontologists are just messing with us now.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Deinonychus, no contest.

Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

Deinonychus is also pretty dang cool, and is certainly a more convenient size than Utahraptor. I like the color scheme and pose in the pic you posted.

As for why these dinosaurs are cool:
1) They're sleek, beautifully deadly predators which appeal for the same reason their descendants, the birds of prey, appeal to so many people.
2) Seeing them depicted in their full feathery glory really brings home the connection between Cretaceous non-avian dinosaurs and the the more familiar Holocene dinosaurs.
3) They're ALL-AMERICAN! . . . Okay, I don't really go in for jingoism, but it's cool that these amazing creatures lived on the same land that would go on to become my country.*

* This statement should in no way be construed as suggesting that other countries, other dinosaurs, or other countries' dinosaurs are uncool or not amazing.

biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I've always like Archaeopteryx:

Though, Utahraptor is a close second: