Japan to do manga of the Koran

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

dragon
Sith Marauder

Japan to do manga of the Koran

Post by dragon »

Oh boy is going piss a few people off
Manga de Dokuha, a branch of Japanese publishing company East Press, is known for releasing classic pieces of literature in Manga form. The company's latest endeavor is the Quaran.

Team Banmikasu is in charge of the adaptation, named "Manga de Dokuha: Koran," which will begin shipping to Japan on Sunday, Feb. 22.

The central text of Islam is known as "the foundation of the daily life and ideology of people who believe in the teachings of Islam," according to East Press' website listing for the manga adaptation.

"The name Islam is often heard in the daily news, but because we Japanese aren't usually familiar with it, a perverted image [of Islam] as abstemious or linked to terrorism is liable to persist," the description reads. "So what kind of teachings do [Muslims] actually believe in? What are they thinking about? To understand the modern international community and Islam, let's try to experience the scriptures where all that is written down."

The Quaran is not the first religious piece of literature that Manga de Dokuha has tackled.

East Press began the Manga de Dokuha series in 2007 and has translated more than 130 titles to manga, including both testaments of the Bible. One Peace Books adapted other worldwide-known titles for the series, such as Adolf Hitler's "Mein Kampf," F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby," Herman Melville's "Moby-Dick," Miguel de Cervantes' "Don Quixote" and James Joyce's "Ulysses," among others.

link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
itb7
Redshirt

Re: Japan to do manga of the Koran

Post by itb7 »

I think that's an interesting idea on their part. They might want to be careful though, just because of what happened to Charlie Hebdo.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I can't wait for the fan sub to show up online. Because frankly I doubt this is going to get translated to english and exported to the western world.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Purple wrote:I can't wait for the fan sub to show up online. Because frankly I doubt this is going to get translated to english and exported to the western world.
Why not? Unless the publisher doesn't do it anyway, I really don't see why they wouldn't do it. Unless everyone agreed after Charlie Hebdo to not touch Islam anymore, I don't see why not. People in the West are more than happy to criticize Islam right now.

From the OP's post, the manga actually seems benevolent: it wants to show what Islam is and what's in the Koran trough comics. It wants to show what Muslim must do trough their faith and not the interpretation of their faith as understood by homicidal fundamentalists. If anything, it seems that the desire to make it comes from wanting to educate people about the Koran and consequently Islam and help people understand what's it about and how it relates to current events. That's a good thing in of within itself.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

East Press began the Manga de Dokuha series in 2007 and has translated more than 130 titles to manga, including both testaments of the Bible. One Peace Books adapted other worldwide-known titles for the series, such as Adolf Hitler's "Mein Kampf," F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby," Herman Melville's "Moby-Dick," Miguel de Cervantes' "Don Quixote" and James Joyce's "Ulysses," among others.
Does anyone know about how well they converted those other works to manga ?
itb7 wrote:They might want to be careful though, just because of what happened to Charlie Hebdo.
They might have bumped the Koran to the top of their list because of Charlie Hebdo.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Mainstream global Islam is still against any depictions of the prophets, I would not assume this will be waived for a visual depiction of the Qur'an. Just because they don't support killing over it does not mean they condone it...
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

It would be interesting to see the no quit Japanese against the quasi no quit Muslim extremists in an all out war.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

They may not show the Prophets. Just like the film The Message, they could easily avoid it.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Zixinus wrote:Why not? Unless the publisher doesn't do it anyway, I really don't see why they wouldn't do it. Unless everyone agreed after Charlie Hebdo to not touch Islam anymore, I don't see why not. People in the West are more than happy to criticize Islam right now.
Because from my experience japanese manga and anime get horribly mangled in editing as it is with official translations. Although to be honest I've seen far more anime than manga in my days. I read fan subs when ever I can anyway simply because of that. So I can imagine that who ever is doing that is also going to be under pressure to censor things.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

itb7 wrote:I think that's an interesting idea on their part. They might want to be careful though, just because of what happened to Charlie Hebdo.
I expect there are a lot fewer pissed off Muslims with chips on their shoulders in Japan than in France.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Ralin wrote:I expect there are a lot fewer pissed off Muslims with chips on their shoulders in Japan than in France.
Does it really matter where the pissed off Muslims with chips on their shoulders live, if someone needs to be taught a lesson not to depict Mohammed?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

houser2112 wrote:
Ralin wrote:I expect there are a lot fewer pissed off Muslims with chips on their shoulders in Japan than in France.
Does it really matter where the pissed off Muslims with chips on their shoulders live, if someone needs to be taught a lesson not to depict Mohammed?
Probably harder to get guns and explosives in Japan too. Also they might have trouble blending in.