Ugh... Atheists Are Just As Annoying As Religious Types

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Ugh... Atheists Are Just As Annoying As Religious Types

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Broomstick wrote:Bwuh? I missed that particular weirdness - not that I seek out atheist postings by reason of them being atheist. Not that I want to spend time viewing these things either, so in a nutshell, how could feminists destroy atheism?
At the risk of speaking for people whom I disagree with, there are those who feel by strict definitions feminism is not an atheist issue, and as such the two ideas should be kept separate. Atheism advocacy should deal with issues that the vast majority of atheist agree, like separation of church and state.

I think such doctrine would have merit if there were an atheist pope and atheist bible that we all had to follow, but last I checked there isn't. If an atheist wants to talk about feminism, or environmentalism, or social justice, or Ayn Rand, or none of the above, I say why not. If one disagrees with any particular point on any particular issue someone makes, there's this fancy new found thing called the 'internet' were they can make a rebuttal. Some people are mature and subscribe to such methods, and we all get enlightened by the conservations. And some people are just trolls who lash out with rape threats and other stupid bullshit.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Broomstick wrote:
Covenant wrote:--but when I look up videos for people who used to post cool science stuff and now it's ranting about feminists destroying atheism I just throw up my hands.
Bwuh? I missed that particular weirdness - not that I seek out atheist postings by reason of them being atheist. Not that I want to spend time viewing these things either, so in a nutshell, how could feminists destroy atheism?
I know I'm more than a week late on that, but it was a kinda nonsensical comment for them to make, and they just can't seem to accept that it was nonsense so they keep at it. There's a camp of right-wing non theists but there's a lot of people, and by a lot I mean a whole stinking mountain of them, who are just easily rankled and overly defensive jerks.

Look at this whole GamerGate nonsense going on as another example. There has been reached a critical mass of frustration at people coming into communities and telling them how their actions alienate others. They feel that their private space has been invaded by outside commentators, problems have been inflated, and they snap back. They snap back so hard, sometimes, that they end trying to chase their detractors back to whatever horse they rode in on. When that fight occurs between members of one community and people like a feminist skeptic who felt unsafe at a convention, it ends up looking a lot like (and sometimes is) people criticizing a woman for feeling unsafe at her treatment. Which is exactly the kind of behavior which empowers people (like anti-feminists) to try and re-define that frustration into something nasty.

The worst part is that this backwash reaction is rarely driven by the genuine hate that the critics are going after. It is a big frustrated "don't tell me I'm a bad person!" reaction to someone coming in and saying "this was bad!" about someone else.

There were, like, two incidents that I think touched off the anti-feminist atheism explosion a while back. One was a woman in an elevator who is some notable and she gave some conference talk. Afterwards, much later that night, I think after some drinks, a guy in an elevator she was taking asked her if she'd like some coffee in his room. Lemme.... hold on...

Yeah, here we go. It was 4am. Here's the snippet where she describes it:
So, thank you to everyone who was at that conference who, uh, engaged in those discussions outside of that panel, um, you were all fantastic; I loved talking to you guys—um, all of you except for the one man who, um, didn't really grasp, I think, what I was saying on the panel…? Because, um, at the bar later that night—actually, at four in the morning—um, we were at the hotel bar, 4am, I said, you know, "I've had enough, guys, I'm exhausted, going to bed," uh, so I walked to the elevator, and a man got on the elevator with me, and said, "Don't take this the wrong way, but I find you very interesting, and I would like to talk more; would you like to come to my hotel room for coffee?"

Um. Just a word to the wise here, guys: Uhhhh, don't do that. Um, you know. [laughs] Uh, I don't really know how else to explain how this makes me incredibly uncomfortable, but I'll just sort of lay it out that I was a single woman, you know, in a foreign country, at 4am, in a hotel elevator with you, just you, and—don't invite me back to your hotel room, right after I've finished talking about how it creeps me out and makes me uncomfortable when men sexualize me in that manner.
Talk about a tame reaction there. I know some people might be like "What's the harm in that?" but why would anyone get offended that she found it a bit creepy? The defensive/upset that a woman would find that creepy seems to imply that they think a woman should be open to such a proposition, which is dangerous and stupid, especially considering the rates of convention rape overall. She wasn't mad, she just said it was a bit creepy and made her uncomfortable. That should not make anyone upset at her. But it did, and it got really stupid responses and Dawkins put his foot in it with really insensitive comments that blew the whole thing up.

So then there was a fight about if or if not this was a big deal, as well as if or if not more should be done to address the problem of women in these communities, and predictably a lot of people start kicking back and then you have crazy shit being posted on youtube by people who didn't act too crazy before. It's just insane.

It's some kind of wildfire effect. This was back in 2011 and now in 2014 we're seeing the same thing with GameGate. People have the most over-reactionary defensive attitude to social critique.

But yeah. It was a bit of lunacy. Best ignored, really, but it made me very upset with the state of play in basically any community out there. Mention there might be a diversity problem and bang, people are going to go berserk.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

A large part of the problem with atheism is the lack of understanding of other groups and the inability to see one's own privilege. One sees this problem in terms of atheist criticisms of Islam. While it is undoubtedly true that elements of Islam have problems, how much are those problems religious and how much are they economic and ethnic?

The issue with feminism and atheism having a rather turmoils relationship is likely part of the same problem, the fact that atheism was largely male dominated.
Kaku Of The Monsoon
Redshirt

Post by Kaku Of The Monsoon »

There are two types of atheists: atheists and "atheists".

Atheists do not believe in deities.

"Atheists" believe in not believing in deities. They define themselves by not believing. They parade about what a load of crap religion is. They act like children and don't realize that you're fully capable of being right and an asshole at the same time, or that your conclusion is capable of being right without your approach being reasonable.

The phrase "atheism is not a belief system" applies to atheists, but it does not apply to "atheists". To "atheists" it very much is a belief system even if they deny it, and it's just as annoying as when you face preachy religious people. I'm an atheist and I used to be a Muslim. Whoop de do. Ain't a thing to be proud about. It just is.