Do you drink tea?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

orderud
Redshirt

Do you drink tea?

Post by orderud »

Do you drink tea? If so, what kinds of tea do you prefer, and how do you brew it?

Noi viviamo sommersi nel fondo d’un pelago d’aria.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Re: Do you drink tea?

Post by Dartzap »

Bog standard PG/Tetleys. I have started drinking blood orang/and honey and lemon tea recently. I have run across an issue where a lot of fruit teas smell amazing, but taste like the contents of an pigs arsehole.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Green tea tastes like lawnmower clippings, despite being really popular here with the health-food obsessed. Cinammon Rooibos is the best not-tea you can still call 'tea'. The most expensive tea I ever drank was a white first-blush imperial sort of the 'plucked at dawn by virgins wearing white gloves and holding golden scissors' type that ran about $50 an ounce. It tasted like water with a faint hint of pine.

And nobody will admit that Red Rose is actually kind of good if you don't over-steep it.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Drunk more then once a month:

Red Bush (Rooibos)
Builders tea.
Earl Gray
Lady Gray
Befast brew by Suki is pretty smooth
Actual cinamon tea (put a piece of cinamon in water and brew. It turns faintly pink and raises your body tempreture)
Actual GInger tea (small slice of root. Some people freeze theirs and grate it in)
Lemon and ginger tea bags (mild as anything, but meh. Pukka do a three ginger tea (ginger tumeric and galangal) that is very expensive but the best I've tasted.
Vietnamese green tea (caffine content ~ strong coffee)
I'm quite partial to gunpowder green tea to - it has those bitter back taste that normal green tea dosen't
Jasmine flower tea. Pretty and relaxing
Fresh mint tea, done turkish style (fresh leaves, very strong, with green tea backing and lots of sugar)

I think that's all the ones I drink regularly...
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

At work I like Earl Grey. Thanks Jean Luc Picard. :D

At home I have several types of oolong tea. I tend to prefer Tie Guan Yin, but I had another type brought from China which they called Dong Fang Mei Ren. Which as I found out they ripped off a famous Taiwanese tea with the name which is pronounced phonetically the same but the written characters are different.

I also love Pu'er tea, which I find its easier to drink at night time (presumably because of different caffeine content it doesn't keep me awake).
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
orderud
Redshirt

Post by orderud »

In the evenings, I drink mostly earl grey with milk and one sugar cube in it. My girlfriend jokingly refers to this as my "cozy-tea", as I usually drink it when curled up in the sofa with a book. Herself, on the other hand, buys and drinks a lot of different teas all the time, and this is what's in our kitchen at the moment. The Earl Grey case is mine. The rest is hers.
Last edited by orderud on 2014-04-04 10:07am, edited 1 time in total.
Noi viviamo sommersi nel fondo d’un pelago d’aria.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Oh, yeah, I drink tea. Pretty much all I drink is tea or plain water, with an occasional bit of juice or a beer thrown in once or twice a month.

Mostly black teas for me. I started drinking Earl Grey back in the 1970's so Picard got the idea from me! Ha! Some jasmine tea or darjeeling but the last decade or so I've been leaning towards the "breakfast" tea blends. I prefer loose-leaf and more upper quality teas but right now my finances have me drinking some rather pedestrian organe pekoe Aldi and local grocery store housebrands. You must have properly hot water for those. For the most part, around Red Rose quality.

I used to drink red tea but it started making me itch so no more.

I avoid most herbal teas because they tend to taste like steeped weeds and some of them annoy my allergies.

Not real enthused about most green teas either, they taste like grass.

I don't care for most flavored teas because it tends to be FRUIT with a little bit of tea, I'm convinced they're actually for people who want to drink tea because it's trendy or supposed to be healthy but they don't really like tea. Likewise, most bottled/canned tea around here is WAY too sweet for my taste, it's like drinking SUGAR with a little bit of tea, probably geared towards people raising on sugary sodas.

That's why I'm not so enthused about Earl Grey these days - most brands seem to be adding extra bergamot. I don't want to drink tea-flavored bergamot, I want to drink bergamot-flavored tea.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I prefer to drink Darjeeling with lemon juice, or a local mixture popularly known as "east frisian tea".
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

PG Tips, brewed in a slightly battered china teapot until it's pitch-black. I may be irredeemably middle class in many respects, but how I take my tea is not one of them.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

My drug of choice is sweet tea. Cheap $1 box from Walmart, 8 single-serving packs to one gallon, between three-fourths and one cup of sugar, black as a sinner's soul at midnight, just cold enough to blow a cold wind over your gizzard in the middle of the day, and that's it.

Though when I do drink hot tea, it tends to be black (green tea is a foul beverage beloved of granolas, and alas, my wife), also sugar, no milk or lemon (heresy), also strong, and I damn well stick out my little finger when sipping, what ho.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Most popular: members of the Grey-family (Earl, Lady and Sunshine) of a certain english tea marketer that starts with a T.

Until recently, herbal infusions were in my cups only when sick, but that changed as I discovered bamboo tea with pink grapefruit. A few weeks ago I bought Ceylon tea with marchpane aroma; that's a tea I drink with a sweet breakfast or some cake in the afternoon.

Green tea is vile stuff...

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I drink tea rather then coffee most of the time, as to what kind of tea, well it's more of less what I can find at the store selves as I can't afford to be very selective.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Yorkshire Tea usually, made in a pot.

I take Earl Grey or Green Tea to work because they're still nice without milk and I don't want to take milk to work to get nicked out of the fridges.
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

When I was first presented with tea, I hated it. It was PG Tips, boiled orange with full fat milk, given to me by my hairdresser. Yeuch.

I later tried proper Jasmine tea at a chinese restaurant and found it delicious and an excellent accompaniament to the meal.

I decided I'd try this tea stuff, so I tried a Twining's Breakfast tea. Tea brewed in a pot, in cups, with the milk put in first. My VERY British Lady (Scot, actually) aunt made it, and it was lovely!

I like one earl grey and one breakfast tea in a pot, together, but I'm not wild on Earl Grey by itself.

Nowadays I prefer Chai, a blend of tea with cinnamon and ginger, which is a little overpowering at first. I take it with a tiny dash of milk.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Not a big fan of tea myself. I kinda have to choke it down, because it's basically hot water to me. My wife, on the other hand, loves the stuff. She's Japanese, so whenever we go to an Asian market she picks up some tea. She loves green tea, and is fond of various lightly spiced teas. When she's under the weather, peppermint tea with honey and imported German rock sugar works well for her. She doesn't mind Earl Grey but she claims it's too "heavy" for her most of the time.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Torben
Padawan Learner
Location: Somewhere just to the left of reality, or SW Florida

Post by Torben »

Iced sweet tea - I live in the southern US, what did you expect?
Hot teas (all from Twinings)
Early Gray
Irish Breakfast
English Breakfast
Always with a little sugar, sometimes with cream, sometimes without.

I'd like to eventually move away from tea bags and actually brew from leaves, but, well, the bags are so much easier.
“I prefer Gary,” the Centurion said. - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I actually kind of like green tea every now and then, but I need my tea to have plenty of sugar. I also like a nice spiced chai.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

I will generally drink Ceylon Tea (orange pekoe). While I will drink coffee with milk, adding anything to tea seems off to me.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Elheru Aran wrote:lemon (heresy)
why? It's been done that way since....well, forever. People in india used lemon juice way before people used milk and in Italy and eastern Europe lemon juice is usually served instead of milk with tea.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

You can keep your fancy herbal teas and earl grey - make me a decent cuppa and you'll be my best friend. I drink way too much of the stuff to be considered healthy, but nowhere near as much as my dad, who clocks in probably 12 cups a day. I've been trying it with increasingly smaller amounts of sugar as I've gotten older, I'm down from three spoonfuls to half a spoon at most...I seem to enjoy the bitterness more these days as opposed to the sweetness.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

I normally drink sweetened iced tea, usually the generic black tea blend from Lipton or the Aldi store brand, and sweetened with a cup of sugar per gallon. However, I have been known to enjoy a cup of hot, unsweetened Earl Grey from time to time, usually Bigelow because it's the only brand I can easily find around here.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

I must be the only southern who absolutely hates sweetened tea, can't stand it, I'd rather drink my own piss and I like my coffee the same way, no sugar or cream. My grandmother used to sweeten her tea, as in mix a little water and tea with her sugar. One day I just stopped and haven't drank sweet tea since. I do however go over board with the lemon juice on occasion.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I used to drink between a gallon a day of Paul Newman's Sweet Tea (you can't say that out loud without hearing "sweetie". Damn you River Song.) then down to one gallon a week to none at all (dropped it cold turkey when the doc said I was borderline diabetic.) Mind you, I drank that much because originally I used to work with plastic molding injection machines and it gets pretty hot so I'd drink lots of sweet tea. Once I transferred to Assembly I reduced my intake to one gallon a week, then not too long ago switched to water.

For hot tea, I drink Red Rose's Creme Caramel Black Tea. Oh so good. Recently bought Bigelow's Vanilla Caramel Black Tea. Tasty, but not as good as RR.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Chai for my morning brew with Twinings Earl Grey, Lady Grey, green tea or PG Tips builders through the rest of the day depending on mood and weather. In a large Tardis shaped mug. Sweetened with a single spoon of granulated white cane sugar, preferably Silver Spoon (shove that overly sweet artificial shite where the sun shineth not).
Used to drink gallons of Liptons Tchae spiced green tea until they stopped selling it in the UK, just found it on Amazon so will definitely be getting that back in :D
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

Stash brand "Chai Spice Black Tea" with one heaping teaspoon of raw cane sugar per cup, typically steeped for two to three minutes. I'll also drink loose-leaf lapsang souchong with no sugar, when I'm out of the good stuff.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.