Expendables 2 ROCKS!(no spoilers please)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Expendables 2 ROCKS!(no spoilers please)

Post by PainRack »

I watched this movie last night and GOD, this movie was even way more awesome and popcorn than the previous flick.

In many ways, the flick exploited the star power even better than the first flick and the one-liners were awesome. Well, except for Slyvester.....

Watch it, Watch it, Watch it!
Spoiler
The Chuck Norris jokes were amazing! I CANNOT recommend this enough. You could literally crop the entire first half of the movie, which served as some action fluff and why Jet Li wasn't in the endgame, missed seeing them fluff Miley Cyrus boytoy and the motivation for the film cause it don't matter! Cause, CHUCK! Oh. And Van Damme roundhouse kick:D
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Re: Expendables 2 ROCKS!(no spoilers please)

Post by PainRack »

Ok, Norris fanboyism apart, the movie had its action highlights. The one-liners delivered by the stars were wicked, both in terms of the movie itself as well as in-jokes about the actors/action flick. And the movie showed its action chops for Jason Statham and Jet Li. Seriously, somebody examine Jason to see whether he had geneseed implanted, because THAT, is how a Space Marine should fight like. I was pleasantly surprised by the non action flick stars performance and Nan Yu was surprisingly good in this movie, something I entirely didn't expect. She did a good job of providing the bulk of the acting in the movie and well... she wasn't subpar in the action either. The movie couldn't really spare more time on the non big stars this time round, as opposed to Expendables but the rest of the merc crew still got their lines in.

The gunfights were awesome, Slyvester pistol pumping from the first movie returned and we see more big gun actions from the rest of the cast. The comedy............ well, the film deadline comedy is so so. I liked it, but I can see where it didn't work that well and I don't think many would, but its overlaid by the actors making fun of themselves and their previous flicks in the past so yeah.

The only problem I saw with the film was the Villian/Vilain(Heh. A joke at Van Damme accent.). Spoiler
Van Damme role was cast as the annoyingly evil/bad guy, the same kinda guy we saw in Rambo 4. Its..... annoying, because a good show needs a villian, an end boss that you can appreciate the star overcoming. We don't see that here, just some bad ass fight between Van Damme and Slyvester..... Sure, the whole fluff of Liam was to ensure that Vilain was the bad guy and end boss but the execution was spoiled.
Again, I can't recommend this film enough for anyone looking for a popcorn flick. The villian/Vilain was annoyingly bad, the
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

I heard you got bit by a cobra.

Yeah. And after five days of agony the cobra died.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Alright, I have one question about this movie, and it is of absolute import:

Did they turn the shakey cam down?
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
One Two
Youngling

Post by One Two »

Tasoth wrote:Alright, I have one question about this movie, and it is of absolute import:

Did they turn the shakey cam down?
There is only 1 scene with shaky cam and it lasts all about 1 minute (there would've been no other way to film that scene).

Speaking as someone who didn't like the first Expendables, I can honestly say this one actually delivered on what it promised (with the exception of Jet Li leaving after the first action scene). The action was good and well filmed. Almost all of the jokes hit. The cast has good chemistry. My only complaint is that the blood is still CGed and its fairly noticeable.

I'm glad they switched directors on this. It went from Stallone to Simon West (who also did Con Air).
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

The movie actually managed to deliver what it promised, as opposed to expendables 1. Slyvester departure as director really made a big difference.

The only problem was cast development.Just not enough screen time to devote to everyone, although everyone got in their shots.
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

I was ok with the movie, it was badass, crazy fighting and the macho stuff needed (YEAH!!!)

Have to agree that Jason is basically a blueprint for a space marine, fighting in his priest costume was amazing, one of my favourite action scenes for sure.

I thought Van damme was brilliant, but even though his character name was vilen, it might as well had been wesker with the dark shades, trench coat, roundhouse kick and the sociapathic attiude. His second in command was equally awesome, not on par as steve austin but who cares. One thing EX 1 and 2 have done well have made the villain and his chief henchman an effective team of their own.

Glad chuck norris got a role in this though I find his smile unsettling for some reason! For an action film there was plenty of good writing and humour.

I do have a pick with the film, not so much as jet li's screen time (it wasn't like it was any shorter then bruce willis, arnie and chuck's) but I think the expendables are being burdened by their own cast, the idea of it all is to have the older icons of fighting team up and kick ass, now they done it its a case of where they can take it next. I also wasn't too impressed with billy the kid, seeing how new and raw he was to the team that you knew immeditely what was going to happen.

The series hasn't been a let down but while 2 was entertaining it did feel like it lost some of its unique appeal. Still there should be some juice left for the third movie and that should be fun indeed.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I loved it.

It was a simple concept, done well. They knew when to be serious and when to be a little silly. But most importantly the action was delivered in lots of awesome ways. They ironed out some of the flaws from the first one, and made it far more even.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin