I have the Complete National Geographic.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

I have the Complete National Geographic.

Post by Vehrec »

Tell me which issues you want me to look at! I mean, after I get done looking at the May 1986 issue. God, I have the most perfect gift for myself.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: I have the Complete National Geographic.

Post by Mr Bean »

Vehrec wrote:Tell me which issues you want me to look at! I mean, after I get done looking at the May 1986 issue. God, I have the most perfect gift for myself.
As in like the entire print run of National Geograhpic?
Please don't take this the wrong way Vehrec but do you also have sixteen cats and twenty years worth of the New York times you have to walk across to get to your front door?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

My parents collected the print National Geographic for decades have almost all from 50s to 2000s and quite a few from earlier back to 1800s, was quite useful for study until this internet thingy came along.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

I have Six DVDs. Well, Seven, if you count the 2010 update to my collection. Not the dead tree format.

I also have a bunch of print copies rescued from exactly the situation you describe. Because they deserve to be treated better than that. The crown jewel of my colection is of course the John Glenn issue.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

My grandparents had awesome ones from the war years.

Ads for the P-38 Lightning and the like made them an interesting read.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

I just saw some of those in the March 1945 issue! Ads for Boeing and Lockheed that play up their warplanes in the same issue as the 8th Airforce Color pictures. And about 6 different ads for Radios.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

The ads are the most interesting part, for me. The style, the selling points, the lifestyle depicted in them. They're a better window into life at the time than the articles.
XXXI
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

So, how much was an P-38 for civilian use, back then? :)
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

For the pleasure of equipping our brave fighting men it was one easy payment of BUY WAR BONDS.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Are you able to send an electronic copy of the relevant issue over email? Presumably its in PDF format?
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Sorry, they're not in PDF. Each issue has been sliced up into like a couple hundred pages and the program that comes with the DVDs puts them back together. I'm not computer savy enough to convert dozens of .cng to one .pdf.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

My Grandfather left me a few decades worth of NG issues (hundreds of issues, I haven't counted them all) when he passed away recently (RIP).
Unfortunately, they were one of the first things my grandmother donated after he passed away without asking me.

Go for the moon landing or something!
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I have managed to find some old NG on line. The only NG issue I have is the classic one which says on the front "Was Darwin wrong?" Followed by a big NO in the issue.

Now back to that link.
http://mail.nysoclib.org/digital_archiv ... /203I.html

So some older ones are available. I suggest anyone wanting a particular article can download the pages from that site in jpg form, and then convert to .rar using an archiving program like winrar and then changing the extension to a .cbr form, so it can read as one file (instead of several separate files for each page) with a cbr reader program such as STDU viewer. I managed to find the NG article I wanted from the above link. Happy hunting to those who want to browse older NG issues.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

I had a nearly one hundred copies (some were duplicates) starting at 1951 and ending in 2007 (I think), and almost all of them were in mint condition, then my aunt found them and figured I didn't want them anymore and threw all of them away... unfortunately I was 1600 miles away and unable to doing anything about it, needless to say I was both sad and angry.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Vehrec wrote:Sorry, they're not in PDF. Each issue has been sliced up into like a couple hundred pages and the program that comes with the DVDs puts them back together. I'm not computer savy enough to convert dozens of .cng to one .pdf.
Shove 'em into a folder and then turn the whole thing into a ZIP?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov