The 2012 NHL Playoffs Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

The 2012 NHL Playoffs Thread

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Tim Thomas has returned to perfect postseason form, and his beautiful manly moustache shall lead the Bruins to the promised land yet again. Discuss.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Block
Jedi Council Member

Re: The 2012 NHL Playoffs Thread

Post by Block »

How'd that work out for you today?
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

I dunno about him but I'm happy the Devils won yesterday. This is pretty much the only time of the year when I will pay any attention to the NHL.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

The Devils are playing the really awful, shitty, terrible Panthers. If they don't win in 4 or 5, they should consider themselves a speedbump for the Flyers in the next round.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Block wrote:How'd that work out for you today?

just lovely. Though i really can't complain about Thomas giving up only 2 goals through double overtime.

Speaking of OT...The number of overtime games in the first round have been impressive so far to say the least.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Man, the Flyers have thoroughly whipped the Penguins. Today's game was disgusting. Crosby is such a shit captain, he starts fights for others to finish. Watched the game Friday night at a buddy's house, thoroughly entertaining hockey. Made the Kings-Cansucks game sleep-inducing by comparison.
XXXI
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Yeah Flyers 8-4 win is pretty overwhelming, and coming after an 8-5 win and a 4-3 win. Penguins defense seems to have just collapsed; not that the Flyers are doing outstanding by any measure either, particularly in the first period. That could hurt them in the future, but I do believe the Penguins are screwed.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Bit conflicted this year TBH. On the one hand, who doesn't love their team winning, particularly when they're underdogs? On the other hand, Dale Hunter is fucking terrible and the team is going nowhere fast under his stewardship. Long term it'd be a disaster if he won the series and was re-signed.

PS fucking lol at the Pens. Would love nothing more than for them to be swept. Did see an interesting point as well: do the Flyers have a better pool of young talent than the Oilers?
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

thejester wrote:Bit conflicted this year TBH. On the one hand, who doesn't love their team winning, particularly when they're underdogs? On the other hand, Dale Hunter is fucking terrible and the team is going nowhere fast under his stewardship. Long term it'd be a disaster if he won the series and was re-signed.

PS fucking lol at the Pens. Would love nothing more than for them to be swept. Did see an interesting point as well: do the Flyers have a better pool of young talent than the Oilers?
I don't think Hunter is coming back one way or the other. I get the feeling he doesn't like the NHL very much. I would love to see them win a Cup, Ovy deserves it, especially after dealing with all the xenophobic shit the Canadian media has thrown at him since about 6 months before the last Olympics.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

For all the chatter about the gong show stuff, whats getting overlooked is that the Flyers have some pretty damn awesome young talent. This team could go a long way, and is only going to get better.
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

They're also playing what is probably the worst defensive team in the East, certainly the worst defensive team in the East that made the playoffs.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I took a straw poll for you, Jester. 8/12 Oilers fans polled in Edmonton agree the Flyers have a better pool of young talent than the Oilers, the rest attribute it to the young guns learning from better veterans than the Oilers have on the roster.

Thought I would point out that 10/12 were either wearing Kings gear or have a Kings logo/player as their Facebook/Twitter picture.
XXXI
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Burak Gazan wrote:For all the chatter about the gong show stuff, whats getting overlooked is that the Flyers have some pretty damn awesome young talent. This team could go a long way, and is only going to get better.
They have the talent to steamroll their way to the conference finals. A match up there with either the Rangers or the Bruins would make for an epic series. From a tradition standpoint a knock down smash up 7 game Philly-Boston slugfest complete with that fat bitch singing is what the hockey gods demand.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

thejester wrote:PS fucking lol at the Pens. Would love nothing more than for them to be swept.
Seconded. I have been so sick of listening to various sports pundits this past month or so declare them the favorite to come out of the East. I mean, Crosby is good and all, but really?

Anyway, go Bruins!
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I haven't watched a game all year until a couple days ago, but man, what the hell's going on? Detroit down 3-1 against Nashville? LA up 3-0 against Vancouver? And Florida with the series lead on NJ? WTF is going on?
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

I don't know but I'm hoping New Jersey will turn around.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

aerius wrote:I haven't watched a game all year until a couple days ago, but man, what the hell's going on? Detroit down 3-1 against Nashville? LA up 3-0 against Vancouver? And Florida with the series lead on NJ? WTF is going on?
I laugh at Vancouver's pain. Bitches flop worse than Italian soccer players and Roberto Luongo is a prima donna headcase. :twisted:
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Mail always was that Holtby had Varly and Neuvirth covered...
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

New Jersey ties the series. Excellent.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Man I miss Darth Garden Gnome.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Ugh. We lost to fucking Nashville? What the hell happened to the Wings I went to see as a kid.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

Darksider wrote:Ugh. We lost to fucking Nashville? What the hell happened to the Wings I went to see as a kid.
Zetterberg, Kronwall, Franzen and Datsyuk are past 30, Lidstrom past 40. White, Flippula and Hudler are the guys in their primes but they aren't particularly great players.

They got old and other teams learned that you're allowed to send scouts to Europe too.

Every legit star they've developed is on the wrong side of their career. Still a solidly upper third of the league lineup and a great organization but you can't expect their run of dominance to keep up. Unless the prospect group of Nyquist, Tatar, Smith, Jarnkrok etc. turns up some home runs.

They probably could have beat Nashville if Rinne wasn't on the top of his game too.

Nashville's late season moves also pushed them far above their usual level. Adding Radulov and to a lesser extent A. Kostitsyn gave them the forward depth to run 3 good lines and compete rather than just counting on the Weber-Suter-Rinne defensive trifecta to keep them in games.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Pekka Rinne is an animal. I think he has been the best goalie in the league the past two years. Put him on the Pens or Canucks and you end up with a powerhouse.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I haven't paid much attention to the NHL this past year mainly from lack of interest but I'm happy that Ottawa is still in the playoffs despite tying the series 2-2 with the Rangers.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

That was expected, the Sharks are eliminated early, again.

But what's up with Brodeur? I saw the game highlights and he was way out back behind the net or not even looking at the puck or trying to make a save when the 3 goals went in. It's like he zoned out and forgot there was a game taking place.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker