RIP Joel Goldsmith (1957-2012)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

JME2
Emperor's Hand

RIP Joel Goldsmith (1957-2012)

Post by JME2 »

From Trektoday
Joel Goldsmith, son of Star Trek composer Jerry Goldsmith, passed away yesterday at the age of fifty-four.

Gateworld broke the news on their Twitter feed this morning, promising more information later today.

“Long-time Stargate composer Joel Goldsmith has passed away, according to friends. Full story coming later today. Rest in peace, friend.”

Goldsmith composed for Star Trek: First Contact (along with his father), but is best-known to sci-fi fans for his work on Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. He composed music for more than three hundred and fifty episodes in the Stargate franchise.

Three times in his career Goldsmith was nominated for Emmys; in 1998 for Stargate SG-1‘s The Nox, in 2005 for the main theme to Stargate Atlantis and in 2006 for Stargate Atlantis‘ Grace Under Pressure.

Goldsmith was the eldest child of Jerry Goldsmith and Sharon Hennagin.
Crap. I loved his work for Stargate and thought he did an admirable job of picking up where David Arnold left off in the original film.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: RIP Joel Goldsmith (1957-2012)

Post by The Romulan Republic »

That's pretty young. A tragic loss. May he rest in peace.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Rest in Peace, you went before your time. :cry:

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

damn
:(
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Enjoy being reunited with your Dad, Mr. Goldsmith. May the next life enjoy your music as much as we have.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Longtime Stargate writer/producer Joe Mallozzi has posted a memorial piece to Goldsmith and his thoughts on the composer's contribution to Stargate. He also makes a nice observation about Goldsmith's final piece of Stargate music: the closing montage of "Gauntlet". While Mallozzi uses it as a coda for his memorial piece, it's a nice coda for Goldsmith's work and life as well.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

damn :cry:

in many ways his work defined stargate for as much as his father's work had defined Star Trek for me
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n