The 2012 NHL Playoffs Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Re: The 2012 NHL Playoffs Thread

Post by SCRawl »

Enigma wrote:I haven't paid much attention to the NHL this past year mainly from lack of interest but I'm happy that Ottawa is still in the playoffs despite tying the series 2-2 with the Rangers.
Make that up 3-2 against the Rangers. I don't think anyone seriously entertained the possibility of Ottawa beating the Rangers, but they're one win away from doing so.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

And New Jersey ties the series.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

And game 7 Of Bruins Caps goes to OT because of course it does
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

The curse of the Cup continues!
Bruins are eliminated from the playoffs.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

J wrote:The curse of the Cup continues!
Bruins are eliminated from the playoffs.
painful. i think this year i'm going to lay of the sports and take up chess.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Couldn't happen to a nicer mob. Fuck you Marchand you diving squib.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Bring on the Rangers.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Curse of the cup? More like Curse of the President's Trophy. Maybe teams in first place should tank late in the year to get the much better #2 seed.

Also let's talk about the Curse of Canada, we will see how Ottawa does against the Rangers in Game 7. But i'm not convinced that spineless douchenozzle Alfredsson will get them much further than the second round.

Hate Ovechkin, currently hate Tim Thomas more so there is that.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Curse of the cup? More like Curse of the President's Trophy. Maybe teams in first place should tank late in the year to get the much better #2 seed.

Also let's talk about the Curse of Canada, we will see how Ottawa does against the Rangers in Game 7. But i'm not convinced that spineless douchenozzle Alfredsson will get them much further than the second round.

How was getting the #2 seed in the East better for Boston?
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

And New Jersey takes the series. Phew.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Block wrote:
Darth Fanboy wrote:Curse of the cup? More like Curse of the President's Trophy. Maybe teams in first place should tank late in the year to get the much better #2 seed.

They at least made it 7 games ;)
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Block wrote:

They at least made it 7 games ;)
The 2 seed does little for ya, the year the Caps won the President's Trophy and got bounced in 7 the Devils were the 2 seed and got bounced in 5. In '06 when Detroit won it then lost in the 1st round the Stars went out in 5. Basically if the President's Trophy winner is going out in the 1st round then they seem to take the 2nd seed with them (though this year its gonna take 4 for LA to finish off the Blues in the 2nd round at least so it appears).
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

#2 worked for the Ducks in 07 :nostalgia:

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Darth Fanboy wrote:#2 worked for the Ducks in 07 :nostalgia:
Yeah but the Presiden'ts Trophy was back East that season so they weren't the 2 seed behind the PT winner.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Yeah well if our February hadn't been pretty bad we wouldn't have fallen behind Buffalo and Detroit. But nevertheless the whole point is about the trophy you want to win not the ones you pick up on the way like a pretty hitchhiker.

Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

The Rangers have been making it a nailbiter each night, but damn if they're not playing incredible hockey.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Slacker wrote:The Rangers have been making it a nailbiter each night, but damn if they're not playing incredible hockey.
Oh please. They're getting so much help it's pathetic. The triple OT game shifted around penalties called and not called, and today's game was tainted by the fact that NY got an extra timeout to rest its stars while Hagelin was treated on the ice, in direct contradiction to the rule which states he has to immediately get his ass off the ice to stop the bleeding and play started within 15 seconds of stoppage, meanwhile Green got charged in the last 2 minutes, clear headshot, and that wasn't called.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Of course, Ovechkin took a flying leap to try and take Girardi's head off and didn't get a suspension, but our rookie got a three game suspension for a clean hit in the first round of the playoffs. Let's just admit that refereeing in the entire playoffs have been inconsistent at best and leave it at that.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

And the Flyers are finished. Huzzah!
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Slacker wrote:Of course, Ovechkin took a flying leap to try and take Girardi's head off and didn't get a suspension, but our rookie got a three game suspension for a clean hit in the first round of the playoffs. Let's just admit that refereeing in the entire playoffs have been inconsistent at best and leave it at that.
Ovechkin? Reckless and dangerous and goes unpunished or underpunished? NEVER! ;)

NHL refereeing has been consistently inconsistent come playoff time ever since the lockout ended. It's because they change how they officiate games in the postseason to prevent physicality. You see more of those ticky tack non calls that can really change a close game or even a series too. NHL and NBA both have horrible officiating but at least the NHL refs seems to have a thicker skin most of the time when dealing with players.

Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Slacker wrote:Of course, Ovechkin took a flying leap to try and take Girardi's head off and didn't get a suspension, but our rookie got a three game suspension for a clean hit in the first round of the playoffs. Let's just admit that refereeing in the entire playoffs have been inconsistent at best and leave it at that.
Ovechkin? Reckless and dangerous and goes unpunished or underpunished? NEVER! ;)

NHL refereeing has been consistently inconsistent come playoff time ever since the lockout ended. It's because they change how they officiate games in the postseason to prevent physicality. You see more of those ticky tack non calls that can really change a close game or even a series too. NHL and NBA both have horrible officiating but at least the NHL refs seems to have a thicker skin most of the time when dealing with players.
Actually yes, never. Compared to the shit that Crosby and Malkin pull on an every game basis, a lot of it suspendable and all of it unpunished, Ovechkin flat out gets targeted by the league.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Darth Fanboy wrote:NHL and NBA both have horrible officiating but at least the NHL refs seems to have a thicker skin most of the time when dealing with players.
The NBA is far worse than the NHL, in my opinion.

The NHL has some inconsistencies, but hockey is a weird sport to officiate because of how thin the line is between legal and illegal contact. I mean, hell, if a hockey player pulled a Ron Artest they wouldn't be suspended, they'd be in the penalty box for 2 minutes and the commentators were applaud him for being tough.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

You got lucky because Girardi lead with his hands to Hendrick's face about 10 feet away from the puck in that same game and didn't sit a second either for a penalty or supplemental. I won't go in to the Ovi hit but except to say that if anyone felt he should sit then they need to also have supported sticking Girardi on suspension for a few games.

-Kingdom of Heaven
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Yeah, the officiating sucks, we should just go back to the days where the refs put away their whistles during the play-offs and let the players play.
And while we're at it we'll bring back Mick Magoo to wave off all the game tying goals.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

To be fair, they actually did put away the whistles during that triple overtime gloryfest. My god that was amazing hockey.