Dark Shadows (2012)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

CaiusWickersham
Padawan Learner

Dark Shadows (2012)

Post by CaiusWickersham »

I saw an ad for this long-awaited movie last night on television. Now, I know Seth Grahame-Smith walks on water with plenty of geeks for what I am sure are some good reasons, but my immediate reaction on seeing this was: "What the HELL was that?!"

I saw the NBC remake in 1989 and I saw some of the original soap on Sci-Fi Channel back when it had quality programming. My mother is a huge fan of the original as a kid too. We were both set back by this . . . thing . . . that claims to be a successor to it. Okay, geek diva rant over. What are your thoughts?
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Dark Shadows (2012)

Post by Patrick Degan »

Complete and utter garbage. I predict tankage at the box office within three weeks of release.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I don't know what that was, but it wasn't Dark Shadows. It's some weird mutated thing pretending to be Dark Shadows.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The little clip of a commercial I saw looked like an absolutely craptacular movie where they make fun of the source material by making an overly goofy version of the original. Essentially the formula that's been hit and miss for a lot of the TV shows to movies.

I mean, how can nobody think there's something wrong with this version of Barnabas Collins? He's not just pale, he's frickin' chalk white.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Broomstick wrote:I don't know what that was, but it wasn't Dark Shadows. It's some weird mutated thing pretending to be Dark Shadows.

well look we've been seeing so many shitty remakes over the last couple decades, it pisses me off to no end when they do this shite....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Lots and lots of cocaine must have fueled the "creative" process behind this movie.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Action Avenue
Redshirt

Post by Action Avenue »

I, for one, am looking forward to the Dark Shadows movie. Here are my reasons:
1. Burton & Depp generally make good movies and when they team up, all the better.
2. Yes, I know, it's yet another movie remake of a old tv show or movie. Hollywood is not going to stop releasing remakes since they're generally profit generators. So might as well get behind the remakes we can enjoy and ignore the ones we don't want to see.
3. It's a period piece. Movies set in a specific time period, either in the future or past, have that extra element of mystery in the plot. Why? Because the factors in how a situation is handled by the characters aren't always comparable to how that same situation would be handled in our present day.
4. It's got a blood sucking vampire and where there are blood sucking vampires, beautiful women with lovely necks and ample clevage can't be too far behind!
5. The recent pussification attempts of said creatures of the night by stupid movies like Twilight and its sequels have got to stop. Yes, I know those movies are not aimed at my demographic, but give me a break already.
Check out my zombie blog http://freakindeadjed.blogspot.com
View my artwork at my studio store at http://zazzle.com/actionave
Visit my deviant art page at http://actionave.deviantart.com
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Anyone else sick of Johnny Depp layering on the white makeup and playing all these "quirky" and decidedly weird roles? I saw the post for the upcoming Lone Ranger, and Depp's reimagined Tonto just screamed "Look at me!"
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I never get tired of Depp. His recent performance in the Rum Diaries impressed me. I couldn't care less if several blockbusters where he's playing a mix between Sweneey Todd and Jack Sparrow flop or make it big. He's still a decent actor in any case.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Yeah, he's capable of doing more. I'm just personally getting tired of how so many of his recent blockbuster roles have gone in this direction.

As for Dark Shadows, this looks like a total bomb in the making. Just look at the trailer. These are probably the very best parts of the movie, and they all look like crap. I don't know who this movie is supposed to appeal to. Certainly not fans of the original show, however relevant that niche fandom might be. It's too campy and goofy to impress young people, and too weird for older viewers. This doesn't look like a "guy movie," I don't think many women will be attracted to Depp's altered appearance here. Yet they're releasing this movie at the start of the summer movie season, just a week after The Avengers...

Then again, maybe my predictions will be totally wrong. I did think that Avatar was going to flop after first reading its premise. "He spent $500 million (or whatever the budget was) on a movie starring blue aliens? James Cameron will never work in Hollywood again!" :lol:
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Why did Tim Burton throw out his artistic integrity? Seriously, when was the last movie he made that wasn't just a terrible remake of something that was older and better? Alice in Wonderland, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, now this?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Don't forget Planet of the Apes.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:Why did Tim Burton throw out his artistic integrity? Seriously, when was the last movie he made that wasn't just a terrible remake of something that was older and better? Alice in Wonderland, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, now this?

Does Sweeney Todd count since it is an adaptation of a very old stage production to film?
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Tasoth wrote:Does Sweeney Todd count since it is an adaptation of a very old stage production to film?
Yes. I didn't include it because I didn't think Sweeney Todd was THAT bad. It wasn't great, but I didn't think it was as bad as his other remakes.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:
Tasoth wrote:Does Sweeney Todd count since it is an adaptation of a very old stage production to film?
Yes. I didn't include it because I didn't think Sweeney Todd was THAT bad. It wasn't great, but I didn't think it was as bad as his other remakes.
Oh, it's not bad, but it falls into that Hollywood trend of 'REMAKE ALL THE NOSTALGIA MOVIES!' they're on.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

The man is on autopilot.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett