ITT I breathlessly gush about The Raid.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

ITT I breathlessly gush about The Raid.

Post by weemadando »

Because seriously, fucking see this movie. As I said in my Trailer Watch of it, if you don't see it, it's time to hand in your fucking man card.

Easily the best martial arts film since Ong Bak. Probably better than that even for sheer ingenuity. I mean they have a moment where Spoiler
a dude gets reverse guillotined (like the execution device) with a broken door
I MEAN WHO THE FUCK HAS DONE THAT?

Also, if you've seen the trailer - you ain't seen much. I was keeping tabs while watching and realised that I'd seen nearly every bit of trailer footage and we were still only about 30-40mins in.

The fights are fantastic and every character has a unique style they use, it's a great differentiating factor in the fight scenes.

All the "mini bosses" are nice and unique too - the machete crew mini boss has some of the best crazy eyes I've seen.

OK. Like I said, breathlessly gushing. But this is seriously the best martial arts film you'll see this year. Probably going to top out for action film this year too. It is that fucking good. It has been one of the only times I can recall the audience repeatedly, involuntary exclaiming throughout the movie because what you are seeing is that fucking crazy.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Re: ITT I breathlessly gush about The Raid.

Post by Stofsk »

It was crazy awesome. The story was a bit cliched and predictable, but the stunts made up for it. Like Ando said, they did things in this film that was fucking crazy.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

I just feel lucky that it was in my town. In the USA it is in very limited release, much to the chagrin of my old college buddies in Roanoke. So yeah, if you are in New York, LA other cities that have it (Such as the two theaters in the DC area that are showing it) go see it.

I'd say my favorite fight was the one with machete crew. In most movies the hero would have effortlessly defeated such a group. In the raid we have an epic action sequence instead. I love it when mooks can kick ass too. A close second would have to be a scene where the SWAT team is trying to escape by cutting through the floors of apartments and encountering new baddies as they make their way down.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Very enjoyable, definitely something to add to my library. I'm lucky that 3 theaters in reasonable proximity are playing it. Makes me want to watch Ong Bak again.
Spoiler
The fight between Jaka, his brother, and Mad Dog went on long enough that it started feeling silly. Much suppressed laughter was had when Mad Dog was stabbed in the throat with the florescent tube. "He got stronger!" "His blood was only getting in the way."
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Yeah, as a BJJ guy there were a few moments where I went: "HE'S ON THE GROUND! WHY WOULD YOU PICK HIM BACK UP! FOR GOD'S SAKE JUST GO EDWARD NORTON ON HIM!"

Not as bad as the two times when people catch someone in a rear naked choke and keep it palm to palm and don't put hooks in. But hey, it's a silat movie and it still kicked undying amounts of arse.
One Two
Youngling

Post by One Two »

Its expanding to about 650+ theaters this Friday, so it'll be playing at most large theaters that usually get semi limited releases. I'll try to check it out along with 'The Cabin in the Woods' ( :D ) this weekend.